Porforis
11 years ago

Gun control is one the most irrelevant issues we have right now, I cannot stand the fact that it seems to be the only one getting any media attention though.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Personally, I think GUN VIOLENCE is a perfectly relevant issue to be getting attention in the media. But I hate how the discussion is zeroed in almost 100% on gun control rather than looking at the social issues as well.
Formo
11 years ago

Edit: And having a gun to protect yourself when anyone tries to kill you won't work out either. If you only have a gun to protect yourself, it'll be your first shot in your life. Guess who's more experienced and therefore quicker, you or the guy who want to shoot you?

Originally Posted by: GermanGilbert 

Every gun owner I know (and many non-gun owners) go to ranges.

You see, when one here goes through their classes to be able to carry a gun, they are trained on everything about their gun. How to disassemble, clean, reassemble it. All the nuances of it. And how to carry, hold and fire it. Not to mention the laws regarding owning one as well.

And if one is responsible, like every gun owner I know, they take many other classes to learn more about their guns, going above and beyond what the Government deems acceptable.

So, if it were to ever to come down to an armed killer and one of the many gun owners I know, I promise you, the person I know will be more trained and informed than their assailant. And it would NOT be their first shot.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago

Personally, I think GUN VIOLENCE is a perfectly relevant issue to be getting attention in the media. But I hate how the discussion is zeroed in almost 100% on gun control rather than looking at the social issues as well.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

I would say VIOLENCE is the issue. And this is my biggest problem with this entire debate right now. The gun is just what is being used most notably for the violence.

People can say somebody does't NEED this gun or that gun. And I will say, ok but they want them, and they have a protected right by the constitution to have one. The problem with this debate is, what they are focused on, won't fix anything. And losing part of our rights in a lie isn't something I will stand by for.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Porforis
11 years ago
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/10/us/home-invasion-gun-rights/index.html?hpt=hp_c1 

Click the link for the full story.

Loganville, Georgia (CNN) -- This is not a movie. There's no dramatic music in the background. A happy ending, far from a guarantee.

The concern in Donnie Herman's voice was clear as day. So was his stress. With two telephones to his ear, he listened to his wife, Melinda, as she fled into an attic of their Loganville home. With her: Her two 9-year-old children and a loaded .38 revolver.

In the house: An intruder with a crowbar.

On another line was the 911 operator Donnie Herman had called for help. Herman's words to his wife, as he sat helplessly, an hour away from the home, were recorded.

"Stay in the attic," he instructed her, calmly.

"He's in the bedroom," she told him. He repeated the words to the 911 operator.

"Shh. Relax," Herman said, trying to calm his wife.

Then he instructed her to do what was fast becoming a realistic possibility.
"Melinda -- if he opens up the door, you shoot him! You understand?"

What happened next has made the Hermans the new faces of the right to bear arms.

Melinda Herman fired a six-shot revolver at the intruder, hitting him five times, in his torso and in his face. Surprisingly, he managed to flee.

Gun rights groups say this shows that law-abiding citizens should be allowed to buy their weapon of choice and as big a magazine or ammunition clip as they like.

They remind people that Melinda Herman had only a six-shot revolver.

"It's a good thing she wasn't facing more attackers. Otherwise she would have been in trouble and she would have run out of ammunition," said Erich Pratt, director of communications for the Gun Owners of America.

"She shot him five times and he still didn't drop. This is going to endanger people's safety."

While this isn't a typical situation, this is part of why restricting magazine sizes at some of the figures being floated out there like 5 or 10 is potentially a bad idea, and why a peashooter is not always sufficient for self-defense. Heck, what if the guy's wearing body armor or is jacked up on crack or meth? Even in this case where the intruder didn't have a gun (which she had no way of knowing, and considering how many doors he broke down, he probably wasn't looking for the TV) he could have killed them with a crowbar after those 5 shots.
GermanGilbert
11 years ago

Every gun owner I know (and many non-gun owners) go to ranges.

You see, when one here goes through their classes to be able to carry a gun, they are trained on everything about their gun. How to disassemble, clean, reassemble it. All the nuances of it. And how to carry, hold and fire it. Not to mention the laws regarding owning one as well.

And if one is responsible, like every gun owner I know, they take many other classes to learn more about their guns, going above and beyond what the Government deems acceptable.

So, if it were to ever to come down to an armed killer and one of the many gun owners I know, I promise you, the person I know will be more trained and informed than their assailant. And it would NOT be their first shot.

Originally Posted by: Formo 

Thanks for the insight :)

The good thing is: The victims are not as helpless as I suspected them to be
The bad thing is: They are in a deperate need of preparing themselves to shoot other people, which they don't want at all (shooting, not the training)

Over here we have things as well, which we are preparing for on a regular basis and everybody hopes, that there's no occasion to ever use ist. We call it first aid classes.

blank
SINCITYCHEEZE
11 years ago

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/10/us/home-invasion-gun-rights/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Click the link for the full story.

While this isn't a typical situation, this is part of why restricting magazine sizes at some of the figures being floated out there like 5 or 10 is potentially a bad idea, and why a peashooter is not always sufficient for self-defense. Heck, what if the guy's wearing body armor or is jacked up on crack or meth? Even in this case where the intruder didn't have a gun (which she had no way of knowing, and considering how many doors he broke down, he probably wasn't looking for the TV) he could have killed them with a crowbar after those 5 shots.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/dramatic-911-call-released-in-intruder-shooting/nTrLK/ 

Here is a link to the entire 911 call.Including the husbands call and the next door neighbors call when the wife and kids escape. Take note,the husband tells the wife after the first set of shots ring out to SHOOT HIM AGAIN.Whatever it takes to stop an intruder I am all for it.
Wisconsin Born, Packer Bred
UserPostedImage
Porforis
11 years ago

Thanks for the insight :)

The good thing is: The victims are not as helpless as I suspected them to be
The bad thing is: They are in a deperate need of preparing themselves to shoot other people, which they don't want at all (shooting, not the training)

Over here we have things as well, which we are preparing for on a regular basis and everybody hopes, that there's no occasion to ever use ist. We call it first aid classes.

Originally Posted by: GermanGilbert 

I really wouldn't be opposed to mandatory gun training of some sort, however anything substantial would be an uphill legal battle. As I mentioned early in the topic, I recognize that I shouldn't have a gun - I only wish everyone else had that sort of self-awareness.
gbguy20
11 years ago

I really wouldn't be opposed to mandatory gun training of some sort, however anything substantial would be an uphill legal battle. As I mentioned early in the topic, I recognize that I shouldn't have a gun - I only wish everyone else had that sort of self-awareness.

In order to hunt or carry a gun you're already required to have gun training as it is. I'm pretty sure most gun clubs require you to show proof of training beforehand as well. Basically that covers almost everything you'd need a gun for. Criminals are going to use guns for violence regardless of training being required or not though....Guns don't kill people, criminals do.
Porforis
11 years ago

In order to hunt or carry a gun you're already required to have gun training as it is. I'm pretty sure most gun clubs require you to show proof of training beforehand as well. Basically that covers almost everything you'd need a gun for. Criminals are going to use guns for violence regardless of training being required or not though....Guns don't kill people, criminals do.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Is that just for concealed carry, or for any ownership of a gun? I was not aware that you needed to undergo training to simply own a firearm.
gbguy20
11 years ago

Is that just for concealed carry, or for any ownership of a gun? I was not aware that you needed to undergo training to simply own a firearm.

conceal and carry.