DakotaT
9 years ago

TT sucks. He never signs any free agents. He never goes out and gets what the team needs on the free agent market. He just sucks.

:)

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

Why does he go with guys like Hawk and Jones in the middle for so long when they are so obviously not up to par? And then compound the problem by giving them above average contracts?
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago

Why does he go with guys like Hawk and Jones in the middle for so long when they are so obviously not up to par? And then compound the problem by giving them above average contracts?

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Jones was getting it done for awhile. He's not good when he's injured but he's solid depth due to his ability to run and also play both ILB and OLB.

As for Hawk, his best days are behind him. He's lost that half step that made him adequate, and no one cares about the running game anymore.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
QCHuskerFan
9 years ago

For several reasons.

First, unlike this board and most fans, Ted Thompson does not have the capability to turn over the entire roster every off season. Let alone after every loss as most fans wish to do. Can't happen. So you address the biggest priorities. ILB, much like FB and P, is not usually one of them.

Second, having Hawk on the roster saves at least 2 spots. Dude never misses a game. So Mike McCarthy can carry an extra DL on the roster. Or WR. Or whatever. In his 9 years on the team, he has missed 2 games. Think about the list of players at the other ILB spot. There's been so many I can't count that high.

Third, it may be that we are not as appreciative of his role and impact. Clay Matthews playing an extensive role in our D has 61 tackles. AJ Hawk, playing a much smaller role, has 90. I don't know where to find the number of plays each has seen, but I am guessing that Clay has seen a lot more time on the field. So wouldn't Hawk be the more efficient tackler? I agree that Hawk is short of big plays, but he's consistent. He's not the best ILB in the league, but he's played next to worse ones most of his career.

Would you rather have the 49ers ILB studs this year? Bowman and Willis? 34 total tackles in a combined 6 games on the field. 11M in salary, sitting. Those 2 missed 26 games this year. Hawk has missed 2 in his career. There's a value to showing up.
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago

Why am I not surprised to read this take from you on Raji :)

Doubt Hawk (or Brad Jones 🙏 🙏 🙏 ) will be back in GB next year, but also doubt he'll will retire. As for Pennell, he was a UDFA from a D2 school. I know he's reported to have tons of talent, but again, he was a UDFA from a D2 school.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Do you SERIOUSLY see Raji any different than that? I admit to thinking Guion would be the same way, but he plays like Raji never did even in his better years - both attitudinally and talent-wise.

Funny, I didn't even remember Brad Jones when commenting on ILBs - he's so far down the toilet. I get pissed off every time he sets foot on the field now. If you don't think Hawk will be back, but not retire, what do you think his fate will be? Get cut and sign with somebody else? I doubt he has even a shred of trade value.

As for Pennell, I didn't mean to imply he was any kind of an answer, just that he might improve - as many D Linemen do. The thing about drafting a D Lineman early, though, is college greatness doesn't always correlate to NFL For every J.J. Watt, there are a dozen first round Rajis (well, maybe not that bad hahahaha). Plus, with the Packers D packages, we don't need more D Line talent, not urgently anyway.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
2013 B.J. Raji 666 snaps with a grade of -24.9
Salary for 2014: $3.1 million (+ $100,000 workout bonus + $300,000 in per-game roster bonuses),

2014 Letroy Guion 555 snaps with a grade of -5.2
Salary for 2014: $730,000 (+ $50,000 workout bonus + $105,000 in per-game roster bonuses),
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
9 years ago

For several reasons.

First, unlike this board and most fans, Ted Thompson does not have the capability to turn over the entire roster every off season. Let alone after every loss as most fans wish to do. Can't happen. So you address the biggest priorities. ILB, much like FB and P, is not usually one of them.

Second, having Hawk on the roster saves at least 2 spots. Dude never misses a game. So Mike McCarthy can carry an extra DL on the roster. Or WR. Or whatever. In his 9 years on the team, he has missed 2 games. Think about the list of players at the other ILB spot. There's been so many I can't count that high.

Third, it may be that we are not as appreciative of his role and impact. Clay Matthews playing an extensive role in our D has 61 tackles. AJ Hawk, playing a much smaller role, has 90. I don't know where to find the number of plays each has seen, but I am guessing that Clay has seen a lot more time on the field. So wouldn't Hawk be the more efficient tackler? I agree that Hawk is short of big plays, but he's consistent. He's not the best ILB in the league, but he's played next to worse ones most of his career.

Would you rather have the 49ers ILB studs this year? Bowman and Willis? 34 total tackles in a combined 6 games on the field. 11M in salary, sitting. Those 2 missed 26 games this year. Hawk has missed 2 in his career. There's a value to showing up.

Actually, I would would rather go to a 4-3 and leave Clay in the middle. but if we insist on using this linebacker defense with lousy inside linebackers - than yes I would like to have studs like Bowman and Willis. SF losing both of them is like having Packers karma shifted on to them.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago

2013 B.J. Raji 666 snaps with a grade of -24.9
Salary for 2014: $3.1 million (+ $100,000 workout bonus + $300,000 in per-game roster bonuses),

2014 Letroy Guion 555 snaps with a grade of -5.2
Salary for 2014: $730,000 (+ $50,000 workout bonus + $105,000 in per-game roster bonuses),

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Raji was looking legit this TC since they moved him back to his actual position.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
QCHuskerFan
9 years ago

Actually, I would would rather go to a 4-3 and leave Clay in the middle. but if we insist on using this linebacker defense with lousy inside linebackers - than yes I would like to have studs like Bowman and Willis. SF losing both of them is like having Packers karma shifted on to them.

Packers don't seem to be able to find enough DL for a 3-4. But they can shift enough LB in and out to do ok in a 3-4.

4-3 is dependent on finding multiple studs for DL. I'm not confident.

That and we don't even play a traditional 3-4 all that much.
DakotaT
9 years ago

Packers don't seem to be able to find enough DL for a 3-4. But they can shift enough LB in and out to do ok in a 3-4.

4-3 is dependent on finding multiple studs for DL. I'm not confident.

That and we don't even play a traditional 3-4 all that much.

We already have Jones, Perry, Daniels, Mike Neal, and possibly Raji. All these guys are square pegs in round holes in our current defense. Jones and Perry are 4-3 DE's and Daniels plays your pass rushing DT. Just need a fat boy in there to keep Clay clean.

We are not playing the 3-4 like it should be played.
UserPostedImage
QCHuskerFan
9 years ago

We already have Jones, Perry, Daniels, Mike Neal, and possibly Raji. All these guys are square pegs in round holes in our current defense. Jones and Perry are 4-3 DE's and Daniels plays your pass rushing DT. Just need a fat boy in there to keep Clay clean.

We are not playing the 3-4 like it should be played.

I would argue that we are playing the 3-4 as it should be. We have the 2-4, 1-4, 2-3, 4-1, 4-2, 4-3 and many more versions. I would say that Dom is being as creative as ever with the different combinations he is putting out there. And the results show that.
Fan Shout
beast (3h) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (3h) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (4h) : fuck
beast (4h) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (4h) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (5h) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (5h) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (5h) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (5h) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (5h) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (5h) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (6h) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (6h) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (7h) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (7h) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (7h) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (7h) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
19m / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.