Zero2Cool
9 years ago

He ran a 4.56 at the combine and doesn't look much faster than that on the field to me.

But like Dodd said, he's a physical guy who can make catches and has some quickness to him.

Ted never seems to get stuck on the physical specimens at WR, but rather on the football players. Boykin is, indeed, an extreme example of that, but Cobb, Nelson, Jones and, indeed, Davante Adams, didn't show a whole lot at the combine, either.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

I believe 4.56 is faster than that one guy ... Rice of Jerry fame ... and he wasn't great. :)

No, I am NOT saying Davante Adams is Jerry Rice. I'm saying 40 times and speed do not negate greatness. Sterling Sharpe was great, wasn't fast.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago

That wasn't a trap, though. He had two hands on the ball going to the ground, had control of it cradled in his left hand going to the ground, and in my opinion, contact with the ground jarred the ball loose.

I get why they reversed the call. As the rule is written, it was the correct call. That said, I don't like the rule, common sense tells me that Dez, Megatron, and Brett Swain in the Super Bowl (slightly different aspect of the rule) all caught the ball.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

The ball can touch the ground, if you have control of it. He didn't have control of it.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
9 years ago

I believe 4.56 is faster than that one guy ... Rice of Jerry fame ... and he wasn't great. :)

No, I am NOT saying Davante Adams is Jerry Rice. I'm saying 40 times and speed do not negate greatness. Sterling Sharpe was great, wasn't fast.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

They said the same thing about Greg Jennings. DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH SPEED TO GET IT DONE ON THE NFL LEVEL. lol
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

That wasn't a trap, though. He had two hands on the ball going to the ground, had control of it cradled in his left hand going to the ground, and in my opinion, contact with the ground jarred the ball loose.

I get why they reversed the call. As the rule is written, it was the correct call. That said, I don't like the rule, common sense tells me that Dez, Megatron, and Brett Swain in the Super Bowl (slightly different aspect of the rule) all caught the ball.

OK, how do you change the rule so the Megatron catch or this one becomes a catch while at the same time, not making all the instances of the ball hitting the ground on actual non-catches under the same or similar circumstances also become catches by rule?

Dez was establishing possession while going to the ground, he didn't have possession and than dive for the endzone. I can't think of a way to word the rule that would create better results.

The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
musccy
9 years ago

OK, how do you change the rule so the Megatron catch or this one becomes a catch while at the same time, not making all the instances of the ball hitting the ground on actual non-catches under the same or similar circumstances also become catches by rule?

Dez was establishing possession while going to the ground, he didn't have possession and than dive for the endzone. I can't think of a way to word the rule that would create better results.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Ignoring definitions in the rules, I don't think a reasonable person can look at that play and say he didn't catch it. Did the ground aid in him gaining possession? Did he lose control prior to the ball hitting the ground? there was time between grasping the ball and going to the ground too. Common sense tells me that was a catch.

The flip side is something you're getting at. How do you minimize subjectivity from defining a catch? It's like the force out rule. There are undeniably situations where a receiver gets hosed, but in most instances it's better than the alternative.

warhawk
9 years ago
Nobody is talking about the bad call on Tramon for PI at the goal line when it was obvious the receivers feet got tangled up. The call basically gift wrapped that td. So how many calls does Dallas need to win the game?

The bottom line is Green Bay and Arod dominated the second half of the game and took it from Dallas. Even had they given the play to Dallas the way GB was moving the ball with 4 minutes left and only needing a FG to win I have little doubt they would have done so.

After the first drive of the second half the Packers were not stopped and that is why Dallas is going home and not because of one stinking play. When you lay your hat there when you had many chances to stop your opponent I don't feel very sorry for ya.
"The train is leaving the station."
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

Ignoring definitions in the rules, I don't think a reasonable person can look at that play and say he didn't catch it. Did the ground aid in him gaining possession? Did he lose control prior to the ball hitting the ground? there was time between grasping the ball and going to the ground too. Common sense tells me that was a catch.

The flip side is something you're getting at. How do you minimize subjectivity from defining a catch? It's like the force out rule. There are undeniably situations where a receiver gets hosed, but in most instances it's better than the alternative.

Shields gets his hand in enough where he keeps Dez from immediately controlling the ball. Having control of the ball and going to the ground was all happening at the same time. There was never a point of having two feet and control to establish possession and than a separate move with the ball.

There are catches all the time in the game, that are not completed passes. It takes a catch plus fulfilling the rest of the criteria of a completed pass.
nerdmann
9 years ago

Nobody is talking about the bad call on Tramon for PI at the goal line when it was obvious the receivers feet got tangled up. The call basically gift wrapped that td. So how many calls does Dallas need to win the game?

The bottom line is Green Bay and Arod dominated the second half of the game and took it from Dallas. Even had they given the play to Dallas the way GB was moving the ball with 4 minutes left and only needing a FG to win I have little doubt they would have done so.

After the first drive of the second half the Packers were not stopped and that is why Dallas is going home and not because of one stinking play. When you lay your hat there when you had many chances to stop your opponent I don't feel very sorry for ya.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

Calls were going against us all day. Remember that one spot that was two yards off? That was too obvious so they had to take away that free first down. lol

We got ONE CALL.
QCHuskerFan
9 years ago

Calls were going against us all day. Remember that one spot that was two yards off? That was too obvious so they had to take away that free first down. lol

We got ONE CALL.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

We did not get one call. The ruling on the field was in favor of Dallas. As were most of the calls, such as the bogus PI on Tramon and the worst spot of the football in 40 years. The only reason the Packers benefitted from this call was because Mike McCarthy challenged it. It was his last available challenge. Granted it was with ~4 min left and there was only 2 min of game to worry about.

Packers had 10 accepted penalties for 87 yards. Dallas had..... 5 penalties for 35 yards.

Packers did not get one call.
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

We did not get one call. The ruling on the field was in favor of Dallas. As were most of the calls, such as the bogus PI on Tramon and the worst spot of the football in 40 years. The only reason the Packers benefitted from this call was because Mike McCarthy challenged it. It was his last available challenge. Granted it was with ~4 min left and there was only 2 min of game to worry about.

Packers had 10 accepted penalties for 87 yards. Dallas had..... 5 penalties for 35 yards.

Packers did not get one call.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

We got two in one. Cobbs catch on the low pass from Rodgers. And the review of the catch that stood.
Fan Shout
beast (4h) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (4h) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (4h) : fuck
beast (5h) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (5h) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (5h) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (6h) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (6h) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (6h) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (6h) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (6h) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (6h) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (7h) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (8h) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (8h) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (8h) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (8h) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
19m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.