Cheesey
9 years ago

Why do they even need more than one ball anyway? I see the value in having some backups just in case of weather conditions or a player tosses it into the end zone or wants to keep it for some reason. Other than that, why not just play with one ball?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

You pretty much named why they use more then one ball.
But, if they do have the rule, someone should be in charge of making sure throughout the game that the rule is being enforced.
Otherwise, get rid of the rule.
Why have it if no one makes sure that it is obeyed by all teams?
The NFL can afford to pay someone to keep tabs on it throughout the game.
UserPostedImage
OlHoss1884
9 years ago

The real atrocity is nimrods continuing this abomination on the English language by appending -gate to everything. Unimaginative pricks.

On sports radio here they were calling it Ballghazi.

Whether it was a big deal or not is irrelevant. Once again the Patriots flaunted a rule to get an advantage and they should be taken to task as repeat offenders. Period.

The rule is there because it keeps part of the game standard. If your QB can't play with a regulation ball, then get a new QB. They don't get to use the undersize ball of a pee wee league just because its easier to throw. Hell in my day I was AMAZING with a nerf football! Sign me up!

I do not think the difference in winning or losing to the Colts by 38 was the deflated balls, but that isn't up to the Patriots to decide. The rules are the rules and to quote a certain Patriots coach: Learn the Rule Book
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
dhazer
9 years ago

Packers over inflate the footballs because Rodgers likes them as hard as possible, the officials lower the balls to be within tolerance if they are found to be to high. Does that mean the Packers are trying to cheat and should be punished? The Pats go for the opposite end of the spectrum and push the lower limits of the inflation range. Unless there is proof that the pats removed more air after the balls were inspected, they didn't do anything wrong.

I can see them putting tamper seals on the footballs when inspected like they do with urine samples.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

I was wondering if you read the story about Rodgers comments about this. Looks like the Packers are next with inflate gate lol

"I have a major problem with the way it goes down, to be honest with you," Rodgers said Tuesday on his ESPN Milwaukee radio show. "The majority of the time, they take air out of the football. I think that, for me, is a disadvantage."

Rodgers said he likes the ball to be inflated because of his strong grip pressure and large hand size but doesn't believe that's the norm.

"The majority of quarterbacks, I would say more than half, are maybe on the other end of the spectrum and like it on the flatter side," he said on his show. "My belief is that there should be a minimum air-pressure requirement but not a maximum. There's no advantage, in my opinion -- we're not kicking the football -- there's no advantage in having a pumped-up football.

"There is, if you don't have strong grip pressure or smaller hands, an advantage to having a flat football, though, because that is easier to throw. So I think that is something they need to look at. There should be a minimum on the air pressure but not a maximum. Every game they're taking air out of the footballs I'm throwing, and I think that's a disadvantage for the way that I like them prepped."

Source 
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Dulak
8 years ago
Well what do you think about all of this now? With the punishment handed out etc?

I feel sorry for brady but to be honest from what I read it does sound like he was complicit in what he wanted done - and when they investigated the patriots football handelers sure sounded like they have been doing this awhile and were dodgy doing it (sneaking into the bathroom and doing it there?)

But to be honest - Im still pissed about spygate

Im not sure about fining the patriots and knocking out a 1st rounder next year but agree with the brady suspension.

Smokey
8 years ago
Brady suspended for 4 games.
The Patriots fined 1 million dollars.
The Patriots loose their 1st 2016 draft pick as well as their 4th pick in 2017.

This should show All that Cheaters never prosper, yet the Patriots went on to win the Super Bowl.

I believe that the Patriots should forfeit the Super Bowl and the AFC championship. As a result there would be no 2014 NFL champion.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
8 years ago
I heard someone say removing a pound of air from a football is like a pitcher scuffing up a ball. If you've ever pitched and played quarterback, you'd realize how uniformed a statement that is. Additionally, if you take a pound of air out from the ball, all 22 players are using the same ball.

On that note, maybe this catch was made possible by a lesser inflated ball?
UserPostedImage

The NFL allows teams to break in the balls to their liking. How much air is lost each time the air pressure is checked?

The NFL is trying to make an example of out "repeat" offender Patriots. I couldn't much care less about that. It's all the rules the NFL has that they apply with inconsistency that is pushing me away.

This link here provides  some interesting information too.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
8 years ago

The real atrocity is nimrods continuing this abomination on the English language by appending -gate to everything. Unimaginative pricks.

precisely
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago
Personally, I think the rule on PSI is stupid. Each team is able to doctor the balls to how they like. If brady wants to throw a flat ball, I say let them. But since this is a rule, it should be followed. If temperatures were the factor, than both teams balls should have seen the same deflation problem, and also the balls replaced at halftime should have deflated the same in the 2nd half if not more since it gets colder as the game goes on.

and I agree on the gate thing. Lets start languagegate.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Zero2Cool
8 years ago
Makes sense.