Barfarn
7 years ago

This displays a common irrational bias towards performance in the fourth quarter.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

WOW! It's not a "confirmation irrational bias"...It's the reality of playing a 60 minute game against a human opponent.

In the first 2.5 quarters in Seattle champ game The O built a 16 point lead; Seattle in the last 1.5 Quarters to react to that deficit. Had the O had built that lead from middle of 2nd Q to end of 4th, it would have been impossible Seattle to react to the deficit.

Every week teams come back from 14 point deficits in 1st Q; rarely are 14 pt deficits made up in the 4th Q.

Closers dont make more money than middle relievers in baseball because 30 baseball GMs have a confirmation irrational bias of getting the final 3 outs in a game.

The play at the end of the game is ALWAYS more important than the play in the beginning....ALWAYS!
Barfarn
7 years ago

If you paid any attention to my body of posts, I put conscious effort into giving due criticism whenever I'm "defending" Rodgers, or any other aspect of the team. You clearly have an obsession with Aaron Rodgers and take every opportunity possible to blame him for a situation. Yes I was being facetious, but my point was that you're coming off as if this is a very emotional or personal issue for you, as your blame and rage is singularly focused on one player.
My main point is, blaming complex situations on a 53 man football team in the NFL where every week we play someone new with different coaches and officiating on a single player is positively ridiculous.

I read your posts much more carefully than you read mine. Just because we disagree does mean I'm acting with an "emotional personal rage."

I predicted Rodgers would play well in Atl and my comments are his overall play are POSITIVE. But that is not what this thread is about, it is about whether Mike can "seal the deal." My argument is Mike can seal the deal, the problem is his QB and then I EMPIRICALLY support my argument.

I describe errors by Allison and Tretter that assisted in ending the first 2 2nd half drives, doesn't sound like an emotional rage to me.

I state Rodgers absolutely choked on the last drive; again not an ad hominem attack, it's an empirical scholarly judgment. I lay out each play to support my argument; but rather than address the plays, or my conclusion from the plays, you call me irrational, emotional, raging, personal. I assure you there is no "rage" against Rodgers. And if you make a good argument I will listen and change my mind. But, you dont make a counter argument because you know you cant; but also you cant psychologically come to grips with Rodgers sucking at times; so you resort to an ad hominem logic error.

I said Rodgers is a bad teammate and he's scarred of pass rush and that affects his ability to "seal the deal. And again I provide an empirical argument to support that position. If you disagree then address the argument.

Trying to get some of you to get off your statistical biases, like the D giving up 32 points means they sucked or if Rodgers gets 300 yards means he played great. Sure, usually that is the case, but not all the time. Our coverage and pass rush was quite good, just about every play we had 4 rushers pushing their guys back into Ryan's lap and DBs within a yard of the receivers. Better coverage or guys rushing harder wouldn't have changed a thing because Ryan was unreal. So who had to play better for the win, the D, Nelson, Adams, Jackson? of course not, there is only one possible answer: Rodgers needed to play really well not in 6 of 9 drives; but in at least 7 of 9. And to win 3-4 PO games in a row, he needs to "seal the deal" more consistently. 6 of 9 might work in 1 or 2 games, but not in 3 or 4 in a row.
DoddPower
7 years ago

Trying to get some of you to get off your statistical biases, like the D giving up 32 points means they sucked or if Rodgers gets 300 yards means he played great.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

I'm confused, where are people saying that Rodgers played "great" because he "gets" 300 yards? I have read some posts (including my own) that said he played good enough to win. That's a long shot from "great." He did play well; of course he could have played better. I'm sure he wishes he did and I'm sure he tried his best. The point is that if the rest of the Packers played equally as well as Rodgers, the outcome of this game would have been much different. But it's the same old song and dance with the Packers. If Rodgers doesn't truly play "great" or dominate a game, the Packers are very unlikely to beat a good-to-great team with a franchise QB. It doesn't have to be that way, but I don't see that changing any time soon.

Zero2Cool
7 years ago
I believe Mike has been married twice, therefore, he most certainly CAN seal the deal.
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
7 years ago

I'm confused, where are people saying that Rodgers played "great" because he "gets" 300 yards? I have read some posts (including my own) that said he played good enough to win. That's a long shot from "great." He did play well; of course he could have played better. I'm sure he wishes he did and I'm sure he tried his best. The point is that if the rest of the Packers played equally as well as Rodgers, the outcome of this game would have been much different. But it's the same old song and dance with the Packers. If Rodgers doesn't truly play "great" or dominate a game, the Packers are very unlikely to beat a good-to-great team with a franchise QB. It doesn't have to be that way, but I don't see that changing any time soon.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I totally agree he played good enough to win, but our D wasn't there. HOWEVER, he still had the chance to put us in a position to pull out the win and did not. He is not a comeback kid and that absolutely sucks.

Zero2Cool
7 years ago
The timeout that was lost because of Jordy Nelson's injury really hurt the Packers trying to go the 50 or so yards to get into field goal range in :31 seconds. Instead of having the middle of the field and sideline available, the defense knew we were going to run out patterns. But hey, let's not take into account FOOTBALL and let's juts blast the Packers, you know, the team we CLAIM to be a fan of.

I wouldn't mind seeing how things would have been if we had at least two of our top three CB's and also Clay Matthews. I wonder if the defense could have stopped the Falcons on that last drive. It just sickening to know we relied on Demetri Goodson as one of the two starting CB's against the NFL's number one scoring offense.

1st and 10 at GB 25
(0:26 - 4th) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short left to J.Janis ran ob at GB 32 for 7 yards

2nd and 3 at GB 32
(0:20 - 4th) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass incomplete deep left to J.Nelson

(0:20 - 4th) Timeout #2 by GB at 00:20.

3rd and 3 at GB 32
(0:14 - 4th) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass incomplete short right to G.Allison (C.Goodwin)

4th and 3 at GB 32
(0:09 - 4th) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass incomplete deep right to D.Adams
UserPostedImage
Porforis
7 years ago

Trying to get some of you to get off your statistical biases, like the D giving up 32 points means they sucked or if Rodgers gets 300 yards means he played great. Sure, usually that is the case, but not all the time. Our coverage and pass rush was quite good, just about every play we had 4 rushers pushing their guys back into Ryan's lap and DBs within a yard of the receivers. Better coverage or guys rushing harder wouldn't have changed a thing because Ryan was unreal. So who had to play better for the win, the D, Nelson, Adams, Jackson? of course not, there is only one possible answer: Rodgers needed to play really well not in 6 of 9 drives; but in at least 7 of 9. And to win 3-4 PO games in a row, he needs to "seal the deal" more consistently. 6 of 9 might work in 1 or 2 games, but not in 3 or 4 in a row.

Way to dumb my argument down to "32 BAD. 300 GOOD. GRUNT GRUNT" when I spend an inordinate amount of time and effort to assign blame across the board and describe these problems as complex. Okay buddy.
DoddPower
7 years ago

I totally agree he played good enough to win, but our D wasn't there. HOWEVER, he still had the chance to put us in a position to pull out the win and did not. He is not a comeback kid and that absolutely sucks.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

He had like 30 seconds and two timeouts to drive for a field goal, and lost one timeout on an injury. That's asking a lot. It's more reasonable to ask the defense to play a little better than to ask Aaron Rodgers to constantly bail them out and generate some heroics. Mike Daniels said it well. The Packers scored enough points to win. None of those points were scored by the defense. Aaron Rodgers played well enough for the Packers to win. The Packers defense has to be better against franchise QBs, or they will never win another Super Bowl under this administration.
Barfarn
7 years ago

Way to dumb my argument down to "32 BAD. 300 GOOD. GRUNT GRUNT" when I spend an inordinate amount of time and effort to assign blame across the board and describe these problems as complex. Okay buddy.

Sometimes if a team loses, there is no one person responsible, because as Captain Obvious would say when a team loses there is ALWAYS a combination of things that many players did wrong.

But, when we say Player X cost us the game, we are saying that BUT FOR his failure to perform up to his contractual value X’s team would have won. To analyze this, you dont assign blame across the board, you evaluate each play, counting the number of plays a player sabotaged and the affect/timing of those sabotages. Yes Randall failed to follow Fitz across the middle, so an argument could be made he cost us the AZ game; something that could not be said if it occurred in the 1st Q or if someone else screwed up in a way that caused us not to win in regulation.

Let’s use an example less emotionally charged for Packer fans. Bears beat Vikes because the OTs sucked. Sure Bradford missed a TD and a few other throws, yes the D gave up 20; but had the OTs been serviceable, Minny would have won. And actually if the OTs did their job, I bet Bradford doesn’t miss all those throws and the D doesn’t give up 20. Norv Turner quit because he knew he could not execute his offense once the trade deadline passed.

Did the OTs do some things correctly? Of course they did, each actually successfully blocked a lot more than they failed. So do we look at the 60-65% of the plays where they did their job and say, get off their case? Of course not, given their contract/draft capital status they should have performed on at least 90% of plays.

Now, if we apply these very principles to Rodgers’ play in Atl; then you’ll be in the proper position of understanding. Ask what % of plays can we afford our 22M QB to screw up before it costs us a game; in Atl Rodgers hit that mark! Other guys did do things wrong; but only 1 name fills in this blank:
Had _____________ performed up to his contractual value, GB would have “sealed the deal” v. Atl.
Porforis
7 years ago

Let’s use an example less emotionally charged for Packer fans. Bears beat Vikes because the OTs sucked. Sure Bradford missed a TD and a few other throws, yes the D gave up 20; but had the OTs been serviceable, Minny would have won. And actually if the OTs did their job, I bet Bradford doesn’t miss all those throws and the D doesn’t give up 20. Norv Turner quit because he knew he could not execute his offense once the trade deadline passed.

Did the OTs do some things correctly? Of course they did, each actually successfully blocked a lot more than they failed. So do we look at the 60-65% of the plays where they did their job and say, get off their case? Of course not, given their contract/draft capital status they should have performed on at least 90% of plays.

Now, if we apply these very principles to Rodgers’ play in Atl; then you’ll be in the proper position of understanding. Ask what % of plays can we afford our 22M QB to screw up before it costs us a game; in Atl Rodgers hit that mark! Other guys did do things wrong; but only 1 name fills in this blank:
Had _____________ performed up to his contractual value, GB would have “sealed the deal” v. Atl.

I'm not applying different standards out of some sort of emotional connection to the Packers. Your logic is so laughably easily used to counter your own conclusion I'm not even sure how to approach this.

Bears beat Vikes because the the defense sucked. Sure Bradford missed a TD and a few other throws, yes the OTs suck and put the D in a position to win; but had the defense been serviceable, Minny would have won. And actually if the defense did their job, I bet Bradford scores more points because they get better field position and are controlling the clock.

Now, I'm not pretending there's different degrees of blame. Yes, the OL shoulders more blame than any one component of the team. But yet again, you're laser focused on ONE person who you choose to assign all the blame on. Sure, when people repeatedly hammer you for it you'll give a "Yeah I suppose other people could have played better but RODGERS RODGERS RODGERS". Are you one of those guys that complains about legitimately bad calls in the 3rd quarter and say it cost your team the game? No, it didn't. Yes, they got screwed. Yes, it probably cost points. But if you want to win in this league you need to be able to get beyond these issues because they happen every single week.

Rogers should have played better which would have made it easier on the defense and his receivers
The RBs should have played better which would have made it easier on Rodgers and the WRs
McCarthy should have called better plays and run the ball more to make it easier on the offense
The offense as a whole should have played better so the defense wasn't on the field as much
The defense should have played better which would have made it easier on the offense

You want to nitpick about percentages? Fine. You want to say it's 80/5/5/5 blame? I don't necessarily agree but I'm not going to not respect your reasoning because of it and I'll be more interested in what you have to say. But yet again, you're fixating on one singular player and in some cases, twisting things to make it appear to be entirely or almost entirely one player's fault when your logic can easily be turned around to counter your own conclusions. I don't get it. You keep going back to his salary every time you start trying to justify why anything that's even partially his fault is entirely his fault. Yes, if you're talking about his value to his team he's relevant. But if you're talking about what makes teams win and lose individual football games, that's not the way that works.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (34m) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (3h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (5h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (7h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (7h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (8h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (23h) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
32m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

36m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.