RedSoxExcel
15 years ago
Favre in huddle a confidence booster for Jets- ERIK BOLAND | erik.boland@newsday.com
November 15, 2008
Brett Favre said he was nervous. "Nervous as heck," he added.

The Jets, after winning the overtime coin toss Thursday night, faced a rabid Gillette Stadium crowd and a Patriots defense riding the momentum their offensive teammates had provided at the end of regulation.

But Favre led a Jets regular-season version of "The Drive," a 14-play beauty that never gave the Patriots' offense a chance. It ended with Jay Feely's 34-yard field goal that gave the Jets a 34-31 victory and sole possession of first place in the AFC East.

Favre finally had put his signature on a Jets win, doing so by exuding a confidence that he might not have felt but spread to his team nonetheless.

"It is very special to have a guy like that step into your huddle," said receiver Jerricho Cotchery, who had five catches for 87 yards, including a 46-yarder in the second quarter that should be a catch-of-the-season candidate. "I didn't see any nervousness on his face; I saw a quiet confidence on his face, so to speak. When he stepped into the huddle, we knew we were going to be able to get it done because that's the way he's been this entire year."

Thursday was Favre's 42nd career win after being tied or behind in the fourth quarter. No. 41 came Oct. 26 when he hit Laveranues Coles with a TD pass with one minute left in a 28-24 victory over Kansas City. But that was at home, against the struggling Chiefs. Not on the road against a team that had come back from 24-6 and 31-24 deficits, forcing overtime with an improbable 16-yard TD pass to Randy Moss with one second left in the fourth quarter.

But once defensive captain Kerry Rhodes made his prescient "tails" call on the overtime coin flip, a sense of belief took over the Jets' sideline.

"When you have Brett Favre coming into the huddle, it makes everybody else in the huddle step their games up," said Leon Washington, who electrified that same sideline with his 92-yard kickoff return for a TD in the second quarter. "We're fortunate to have a guy like that leading us."

Favre, given how unstoppable the Patriots' offense had been in the second half, believed the Jets needed to score on their first possession of overtime.

"I felt like it's either now or nothing; this is your one shot," Favre said. "They were on offense, our defense was tired - it was all or nothing."

Favre threw incomplete to Washington on his first pass attempt of the drive but went 5-for-5 thereafter, by far the biggest being his 16-yard strike to rookie tight end Dustin Keller on third-and-15 from the Jets' 15-yard line.

"I think Brett just . . . he instills confidence in the group," Eric Mangini said. "There's a sense of ease when he has the ball. You feel he's going to get it to the right place."

And right now for the Jets, that place is first.
blank
Heatherthepackgirl
15 years ago
Great article!! Im so glad that Brett has fit in and is making a difference in New York. 🙂
Heathiee
buckeyepackfan
15 years ago
"When you have Brett Favre coming into the huddle, it makes everybody else in the huddle step their games up," said Leon Washington, who electrified that same sideline with his 92-yard kickoff return for a TD in the second quarter. "We're fortunate to have a guy like that leading us."

LW was on all the ESPN shows yesterday, nothing but praise for BF, the Jets players are getting what us fans love about Brett, leadership, great play, all along having fun doing it.

Another perfect Sunday coming up Packers at 1pm, and now BF and The Jets have been moved to 4:15!!!!

8 hours of my favorite football!!!! The perfect ending to a Holiday weekend!!!
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
CDNRodgersfan
15 years ago
My opinion but if you look at play alone I'm not that impressed with Brett this year although he is getting sharper but never have I been more aware of his intangibles then this year. All the years in GB you start taking it for granted but seeing him change the whole fortune of a franchise is awesome
Cheesey
15 years ago
Me luvs brit farve.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
earthquake (2h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (5h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (7h) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (8h) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
33m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

37m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10h / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.