wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
7 years ago
Whenever I watch a game I get too caught up watching the ball or qb. Just how often does CM III get doubled these days? If it is nearly every play then they have to swallow the $15 mil pill and move on. If he is rarely doubled then redo his contact or let him go. Twins had a nice scenario but I expect his agent will ask for a min of 2 extra years. Probably 3.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
7 years ago
Btw there is a self serving reason for Clay to resist moving to MLB. Money. As most of you know OLBers make a boat load of money.

Before any new contracts are completed, Clay is # 3 for OLB and # 1 by far at ILB. The 10th highest ILB makes $5.5 you would be down around 30th for OLB. Spotrac.com.

UserPostedImage
musccy
7 years ago

Btw there is a self serving reason for Clay to resist moving to MLB. Money. As most of you know OLBers make a boat load of money.

Before any new contracts are completed, Clay is # 3 for OLB and # 1 by far at ILB. The 10th highest ILB makes $5.5 you would be down around 30th for OLB. Spotrac.com.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

His next contract will be signed when he's 32 and he won't play a snap on it 'til he's 33. I doubt the position will be the limiting factor for his contract.
PackFanWithTwins
7 years ago
I don't ever remember clay being doubled all the time. He has always gotten chipped by TE or RBs. He has always been a speed and tenacity rusher, not power. a good chip, stopping his momentum and TEs can block him. His specialty was getting around the edge or chasing a broken play.

A two year extension would be OK also, that would just split up the money over more years. Little bigger risk of dead money but not too bad.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Cheesey
7 years ago
He was GREAT during the 2010 SB season. Kind of "so-so" since then. To me, more like AJ Hawk then a big time player.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
7 years ago

I am not sure whether stats will call this bullshit, but I did certainly notice from the eye test that with Clay out of the lineup that Perry was not as effective. I am concerned whether a big payday for Nick backfires if Clay is moved or cut.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

His most productive game came without Clay but either way I don't get this. It's not like if Matthews isn't there then nobody is blocking Perry. Perry to be productive still has to beat the guy across from him and get to the QB or shed his block and make a tackle on the RB. The only guy on our team getting doubled with any consistency is Daniels. I don't know why people even assume Clay is getting doubled much. Just watch him get shut down play after play by average LTs, why on earth would any offense be overly worried about him? If anything Clay benefitted from Perry this year. On like 2 or 3 of his sacks the QB was running away from pressure applied by Perry before Clay got him. Clay is missing explosiveness he had at the beginning of his career and he's been missing it for some time now. He wasn't sacrificing for the team going to ILB in 2014 he was just so mediocre off the edge that they were getting the most out of him and it happened to line up nicely with the teams needs.

He should be ILB permanently but he's not worth nearly 12 million there so if he won't restructure then to me he's an easy cut. Think about it this way, if he was a FA how would you feel if Ted signed him to a 12 million dollar deal? Id think that's completely insane.
uffda udfa
7 years ago
I agree with you, Steve. It is insane. If Ted gave the money to Peppers this year I don't see how he won't give it to Clay next season. I thought keeping Peppers at his price was insane this year but we did it. All that money for those two? Crazy.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Barfarn
7 years ago
When you look at what other players are getting, Clay is a bargain. Unless Clay has an undisclosed injury; he won’t be cut or even approached for a pay cut. But, an extension as brilliantly suggested by capologist PackFanWithTwins is a possibility.

Here’s what you’d have to pay for Clay’s replacement:

Unproven newby option:
In 2015, 2 years ago McPhee signed with Bears for 5 years x 7.75M. In 2013 and 14 he didn’t start a game. He played 28% of snaps in ’13 with 2 sacks and 48% of snaps in ’14 with 7.5 sacks. The cap is 18% higher than when McPhee got his contract, that would adjust McPhee’s contract to about 9.1M. So a risky just about totally unproven newby that played about half the snaps and flashed 7.5 snaps will cost about 9M x 5 in 2017. I’d rather have Clay for 11M x 2 years.

Here’s the top paid OLBs by avg salary and what that same contract would look like if signed in 2017:

Miller 19M per 2016 (21M per adjusted to 2017 cap dollars)

Houston 17M per 2015 (20M per adjusted)

Clay 13.2 M per

Jamie Collins 12.5M per 2017

Kerrigan 11.5M per 2015 (15M per adjusted for 2017 cap and extension)

David 10.05M per 2015 (15M per adjusted for 2017 cap and extension)

Irvin 9.25M per 2016 (10.2M per adjusted)

Jerry Hughes 9M per 2015 (10.6M adjusted)

Of all these guys, other than maybe Kerrigan at 15M, Id rather have Clay at 11M x 2. Plus, heading into new season it’s our weakest position. He played with an AC joint last year, that is TJ Lang-like toughness. And if Clay is healthy he can be as dominant as anyone on this list.
steveishere
7 years ago
If Clay Matthews is healthy? lol. He'll never stay healthy and when he gets banged up he goes into witness protection. Ever since those hammys started giving out he's been getting his butt kicked off the edge on a majority of his snaps and throwing in a splash play here and there. He hasn't been a consistent threat off the edge in years unless he's facing TJ Clemmings, expecting him to get back to being a high level pass rusher now is unlikely. The only way to justify paying him his contract is by moving him to ILB and he's still overpaid there.
millertime
7 years ago
Who would replace him? We need more talent on defense, not less.

We need to suck it up and pay him because we have no other options.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (1h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (3h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (3h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (3h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (19h) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (19h) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (20h) : fuck
beast (20h) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (20h) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (21h) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (21h) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (21h) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (21h) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (21h) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (21h) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (22h) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (23h) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (23h) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (23h) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (23h) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (23h) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
32m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.