Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages12>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cheesey  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 2, 2017 2:26:40 PM(UTC)
Heard on the radio yesterday that Papa John's pizza is ending it's run with the NFL because of loss of sales due to the NFL players protests.
So the protest is doing 2 things.....losing revenue for the NFL AND it's backers.
Wonder if the NFL will do something NOW that it's affecting their pockets?
I think this also shows just how fed up the majority of American citizens are with the whole protest garbage.
I wonder who else will jump ship?
And how it will affect commercial prices during the next Super Bowl? There may not be as many companies willing to dole out that kind of money to an enterprise that they don't agree with.
Smokey  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 2, 2017 2:52:22 PM(UTC)
Domino's or Pizza Hut will be most pleased to step into Poppa Jon's space .

? Will Payton Manning be jumping ship as well ?
Porforis  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 2, 2017 3:21:51 PM(UTC)
Smokey said: Go to Quoted Post
Domino's or Pizza Hut will be most pleased to step into Poppa Jon's space .

? Will Payton Manning be jumping ship as well ?

Hopefully. Kind of sick of the Nationwide ads like 3 years ago.
beast  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 2, 2017 4:45:53 PM(UTC)
Cheesey said: Go to Quoted Post
Heard on the radio yesterday that Papa John's pizza is ending it's run with the NFL because of loss of sales due to the NFL players protests.

So you heard some fake news? Yeah it stinks but most news today seems partly fake. As of right now Papa John has not ended their relationship with the NFL.

Papa John's are just complaining about the NFL letting their sales drop and are taking the NFL logo off their commercials... in what some are claiming (and I don't know if this is true) a Jerry Jones led attack on the NFL... As Jones reportedly is trying to get Roger Goodell fired, Ezekiel Elliott suspension thrown out, and an NFL rule forcing players to stand (again, that's just a claim, I don't know if there is proof or not).

But Jerry Jones and John Schnatter ("Papa John") are business friends and have had a working relationship as Jones has invested into Papa Johns starting in 2004 and has continued to grow. In 2014, Jerry Jones was said to own more than 100 of the Papa Johns then, which based on statista.com is at least 3% (maybe more) of the entire Papa John's US stores.

So clearly Jerry Jones could have some influence with Papa Johns as he owns at least 3% of the US stores and has been a huge part of the promotion in Texas and maybe their entire NFL promotions which is what Jerry Jones does best.

Smokey said: Go to Quoted Post
Will Payton Manning be jumping ship as well ?

I doubt it, because part of the Peyton Manning deal was that he'd get to own some of the Papa John stores and he owns 21 Papa John stores in the Denver areas (and who knows he might of bought more since).

But this is part of the trend to not just promote a product, but invest into the product before your promote it, and then promote it raising the value of your investment. Buy low, promote it, then someday sell high.
Porforis said: Go to Quoted Post
Hopefully. Kind of sick of the Nationwide ads like 3 years ago.

Yes, I'm very tired of the Nationwide ads... I think I might avoid them just because their ads annoy me... same with Geico at this point.
Porforis  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 2, 2017 7:08:40 PM(UTC)
beast said: Go to Quoted Post

Yes, I'm very tired of the Nationwide ads... I think I might avoid them just because their ads annoy me... same with Geico at this point.

I avoid GEICO because they DOUBLED my rates after a single ticket (Speeding, 5-10 over) - to over a grand for six months with two vehicles (one worth like $2000, the other low to mid end, like 2 years old), and when I called to ask what happened I got 5 minutes of non-answers (No, "rates went up in your area" doesn't result in ~$1100 more per year) followed by an explanation that they couldn't do anything. Which is a pity, because I originally went with them because they were super easy to work with when I was with another company and one of their drivers injured me in an accident he was at fault for (I didn't have medical on my plan). Treated me better when I wasn't their customer than when I was.

Anyways, mostly back on topic - I made the mistake of chiming in on a facebook post about this (Idiotic, right?) where a bunch of people were calling Papa John's pizza shit, and I posed the honest question if there was another national pizza delivery chain that was better. The closest thing to a consensus I could get was Dominos, which to be fair I haven't had since their refresh like 5-8 years ago.

What does everybody think about Papa John's pizza - all politics aside? Clearly, it's not great pizza and any take & bake or sit-in place will be as good or likely better. But as far as delivery goes, what widespread delivery options are better?
beast  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 2, 2017 7:42:15 PM(UTC)
I avoid GEICO because they DOUBLED my rates after a single ticket (Speeding, 5-10 over) - to over a grand for six months with two vehicles (one worth like $2000, the other low to mid end, like 2 years old), and when I called to ask what happened I got 5 minutes of non-answers (No, "rates went up in your area" doesn't result in ~$1100 more per year) followed by an explanation that they couldn't do anything. Which is a pity, because I originally went with them because they were super easy to work with when I was with another company and one of their drivers injured me in an accident he was at fault for (I didn't have medical on my plan). Treated me better when I wasn't their customer than when I was.

Yeah I have a general rules of not full trusting companies that advertise the most, because in reality, they're wasting a lot of money on commercials, which in some way, shape or form, they pass onto the customers... either by charging more or giving cheaper service per dollar.

I posed the honest question if there was another national pizza delivery chain that was better. The closest thing to a consensus I could get was Dominos, which to be fair I haven't had since their refresh like 5-8 years ago.

What does everybody think about Papa John's pizza - all politics aside? Clearly, it's not great pizza and any take & bake or sit-in place will be as good or likely better. But as far as delivery goes, what widespread delivery options are better?

To be fair, I haven't had Dominos since they recreated their sauce (and whatever else) either... but back in the day, it was HORRIBLE. It tasted like cardboard with cheese on top. Growing up for me there were only 3 types of bad pizzas, 1) Pizza with fish 2) One of the type of school pizza 3) Dominos. But again, they redid their sauce and I haven't tried the new recreated Dominos, though I've heard some people say it's much better than the old Dominos sauce but still under average.

Papa Johns is my favorite pizza. I carryout as the local one isn't far away (plus they have much better deals for carryout). Back in the early 2000s, I lived near a Papa Johns place which had a cook that would just add their buttery garlic extra sauce straight into the tomato sauce and that was the best having it under the cheese and evenly sauce with each bite. But since I moved, they've always just put the garlic sauce on the side and it's just not the same putting it on top, so I save it and use it as an extra add in for soup or topping on something else.
wpr  
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 2, 2017 9:07:04 PM(UTC)

Anyways, mostly back on topic - I made the mistake of chiming in on a facebook post about this (Idiotic, right?) where a bunch of people were calling Papa John's pizza shit, and I posed the honest question if there was another national pizza delivery chain that was better. The closest thing to a consensus I could get was Dominos, which to be fair I haven't had since their refresh like 5-8 years ago.

You should have called me. I am licensed in WI as well as IL. Just getting my MN too. Wink Of course I have no idea if the companies I use are competitive in your area.

I have no idea which of the national chains has good pizza. There are none in my town. The local Pizza Hut closed because no one liked their product. I insure several pizza places so there is no need for me to look elsewhere.

As for Papa J withdrawing their ads, everything is cyclical. They were doing nothing on a national scale 10 years ago. Then the dipped their toe in the water and saw a bump in sales. They got Manning as a spoke person and the sales increased. They went hog wild and saturated the tv with Manning, etal commercials, people grew tired of them and sales dropped off. It wasn't as if the general consumer was losing out on a great pizza. After things cool off a bit they will be back in a few years. People's memories are pretty short. They will forget how lousy the pizza really is. They will love getting a $5 cardboard pizza instead of paying for a real one. Especially if they have a group over to watch a game. When they are alone people will want the better quality but when they have to share with neighbors, screw them.
Barfarn  
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 2, 2017 9:39:53 PM(UTC)
Who cares?

And it's estimated 10,000 boycotted the Dodgers' opener in 1947 when Jackie Robinson started his first game.

Branch Rickey didn't care. He said he had no intention of adjusting his product to cater to this type of fan and neither will the NFL.
Cheesey  
#9 Posted : Friday, November 3, 2017 9:43:35 AM(UTC)
What does Jackie Robinson have to do with this? (In case you don't know, NOTHING!!!)
"Fake news?" I heard it on the Bill Michaels ( the Big Unit) sports talk show. He's not one to put out fake stuff.
Anyway, I think the vast majority of people are tired of this whole protest. After all, all but a few people shot by police get shot because of something they themselves did that made the cops shoot.
Plus the fact of what I have been saying all along, that black on black murder happens every day, and there's no outrage over that fact.
beast  
#10 Posted : Friday, November 3, 2017 12:07:05 PM(UTC)
"Fake news?" I heard it on the Bill Michaels ( the Big Unit) sports talk show. He's not one to put out fake stuff.
You're the one claiming Bill Michaels is saying the fake stuff, not me.

I'm simply pointing out that, as of when the thread started, that Papa John's has NOT ended their relationship with the NFL like the thread is implying. And the thread implying that Papa John's has ended their relationship with the NFL have is false/fake/wrong, no matter who said it (even if they have a big unit). For those that are interested, here is a Fact check from snopes.com of what really has happened so far, note where is says "Papa John's says they have not ended their advertising relationship with the NFL nor withdrawn their commercials from televised NFL games", they're simply removing the NFL logo and "official sponsor" message.

Anyway, I think the vast majority of people are tired of this whole protest. After all, all but a few people shot by police get shot because of something they themselves did that made the cops shoot.
Plus the fact of what I have been saying all along, that black on black murder happens every day, and there's no outrage over that fact.
The vast majority are tired of the political BS from ALL SIDES, which include you attempting to blast the other side with this thread.

Which also might help explain why Papa John's sales are lower than expected, as Papa John has been making more and more public with his political statements, which upset some customers and they spend their money elsewhere. Same thing happened with Chick-fil-A when their owner made a number of political statements, sales went down as customers went elsewhere, and that had little to nothing to do with the NFL.

Barfarn  
#11 Posted : Friday, November 3, 2017 7:45:45 PM(UTC)
What does Jackie Robinson have to do with this? (In case you don't know, NOTHING!!!)
I think the vast majority of people are tired of this whole protest.

Not sure where you’re getting this from. But if true; those in intellectual circles call this “tyranny of the majority.”

In Federalist Papers #10 Madison described this as the greatest threat to our democracy. He opined that as long as men have differing opinions and varying amounts of wealth, property and education their nature causes them to form alliances with those most similar to them. And these alliances/factions working in their own self-interest might work against the public interest or infringe on the rights of others.

De Tocqueville in Democracy in America (1835); expanded on this concept.

History tells us that when our Constitution has failed to protect against the majority’s tyranny bad things happened, to wit: men enslaved; Native American genocide; Japanese interned; Minorities prohibited from playing baseball; Minorities not being able to protests their being disparately and invidiously profiled, harassed, humiliated, beaten and/or killed by government sponsored agents [See, it is the same thing LOL].

The thing that separates man from animal is the ability to reason, the ability to act in accordance with a higher moral code that might conflict with our natural instincts to dominate our minorities. Let’s endeavor to be human and not animals.
Porforis  
#12 Posted : Friday, November 3, 2017 8:28:13 PM(UTC)
wpr said: Go to Quoted Post
You should have called me. I am licensed in WI as well as IL. Just getting my MN too. Wink Of course I have no idea if the companies I use are competitive in your area.

Well, you never return my phonecalls and don't come to your window when I throw pebbles against it even if I AM pumping out some passionate tunes on my boombox so I assumed you weren't interested.

I'm with Progressive right now and they're more or less fine. Unfortunately my wife decided to not pay attention when driving and got a nasty speeding ticket so we'll see if they actually drop it once it drops off our record in a year or so. But, barely paying more now with Progressive than pre-any-tickets with GEICO (which was a fair amount less than Farmers, which I came from) so seems like they aren't screwing me. More than anyone else.
beast  
#13 Posted : Friday, November 3, 2017 9:17:09 PM(UTC)
Update: Papa John's is now reporting they're considering ending NFL sponsorship as "consumers' shift to digital channels".

In the PFT article basically said Papa John’s President and Chief Operating Officer Steve Ritchie made "a ridiculous assertion" and a comment that they have not spoken with Jerry Jones which PFT finds "simply not believable."

PFT said:
Indeed, the denial of collusion between the Cowboys and Papa John’s invites speculation that the goal isn’t to cover up discussions about solving the anthem problem but to hide broader shared strategies about solving the Commissioner problem. It’s now clear that Jones wants to make a change, and the comments from Schnatter can be interpreted that he feels the same way — and that these partners in the pizza business are now expanding their association to another kind of business.

Also Jerry Jones reportedly owns 120 Papa Johns Stores which is 3.6% of all the Papa John's US stores, if statista.com numbers are correct. Which would be 4.56% of the NON-franchise stores (again based on statista.com's numbers).

They're in the same businesses, share the same exact opinions, seem to share the same goals and targets and they haven't spoken about business?

Also Papa John's other quarters of this year seem to have been down as well, you know, before the football season started.
dyeah_gb  
#14 Posted : Saturday, November 4, 2017 5:39:35 AM(UTC)
Barfarn said: Go to Quoted Post
Not sure where you’re getting this from. But if true; those in intellectual circles call this “tyranny of the majority.”

In Federalist Papers #10 Madison described this as the greatest threat to our democracy. He opined that as long as men have differing opinions and varying amounts of wealth, property and education their nature causes them to form alliances with those most similar to them. And these alliances/factions working in their own self-interest might work against the public interest or infringe on the rights of others.

De Tocqueville in Democracy in America (1835); expanded on this concept.

History tells us that when our Constitution has failed to protect against the majority’s tyranny bad things happened, to wit: men enslaved; Native American genocide; Japanese interned; Minorities prohibited from playing baseball; Minorities not being able to protests their being disparately and invidiously profiled, harassed, humiliated, beaten and/or killed by government sponsored agents [See, it is the same thing LOL].

The thing that separates man from animal is the ability to reason, the ability to act in accordance with a higher moral code that might conflict with our natural instincts to dominate our minorities. Let’s endeavor to be human and not animals.

Kudos for the use of the Federalist papers and de Tocqueville but in my opinion the application is completely in the wrong context. The use of concern for the majority in the above relates to the formation of government policy or laws. For example, the value of the electoral college rather than popular vote. The NFL situation is very different because it completely relies on a consumer-based media for its success. The whole point of why the NFL will fail in this endeavor is because the players are using a high profile protest for a low probability circumstance or boogeyman. I believe the representative NFL-viewer's instincts can see through this BS and don't like it.
Barfarn  
#15 Posted : Saturday, November 4, 2017 12:49:09 PM(UTC)
dyeah_gb said: Go to Quoted Post
Kudos for the use of the Federalist papers and de Tocqueville but in my opinion the application is completely in the wrong context. The use of concern for the majority in the above relates to the formation of government policy or laws. For example, the value of the electoral college rather than popular vote. The NFL situation is very different because it completely relies on a consumer-based media for its success. The whole point of why the NFL will fail in this endeavor is because the players are using a high profile protest for a low probability circumstance or boogeyman. I believe the representative NFL-viewer's instincts can see through this BS and don't like it.

You’re reading of Fed #10 is too narrow and you might be thinking of something else discussing the E College. Madison refers to factions as private groups that are acting in their own interest to the detriment of the rights of others and insists that Government must “cure” faction’s “mischiefs” to prevent insurrection and collapse of the Republic. Madison also of speaks elected officials acting as a faction [“Orange Men of factious tempers, of local prejudices, or of sinister designs, may, by intrigue, by corruption, or by other means, first obtain the suffrages, and then betray the interests, of the people”]. I’ll have to double-check to see if he said “Orange” LOL; Madison knew Trump 230 years before his time.

Per Fed #10, the players are not a faction because they’re not imposing their interests to the determinant of anyone else’s civil rights. So the factions to which Madison is referring could only include the G’s police force disparately harming, harassing, profiling, killing minorities and/or the Owners trying to squelch the civil and 1st Amend rights of the players.
dyeah_gb  
#16 Posted : Sunday, November 5, 2017 6:02:36 AM(UTC)
Barfarn said: Go to Quoted Post
You’re reading of Fed #10 is too narrow and you might be thinking of something else discussing the E College. Madison refers to factions as private groups that are acting in their own interest to the detriment of the rights of others and insists that Government must “cure” faction’s “mischiefs” to prevent insurrection and collapse of the Republic. Madison also of speaks elected officials acting as a faction [“Orange Men of factious tempers, of local prejudices, or of sinister designs, may, by intrigue, by corruption, or by other means, first obtain the suffrages, and then betray the interests, of the people”]. I’ll have to double-check to see if he said “Orange” LOL; Madison knew Trump 230 years before his time.

Per Fed #10, the players are not a faction because they’re not imposing their interests to the determinant of anyone else’s civil rights. So the factions to which Madison is referring could only include the G’s police force disparately harming, harassing, profiling, killing minorities and/or the Owners trying to squelch the civil and 1st Amend rights of the players.

I disagree with just about everything you have written here.
1. A major point of the argument of "The Tyranny of the Majority" is why a republic government is better than a pure democracy.
2. I do not believe the police are disparately harming minorities. It is sad that the number of cases of minorities unlawfully getting shot by police is greater than zero. This however is not a systematic problem. Claims to the contrary are a terrible generalization on the police who risk their lives to maintain law and order. Further it is my opinion that more minorities will sadly be killed due to the protests: One of many articles on police shortages here.
3. The NFL or owners telling these useful idiots to stand up during the anthem in the stadium before the game is not a violation of their 1st amendment right, unless you can prove the government is involved in this requirement.

Feel free to respond if you like but you and I live in completely different realities.

DarkaneRules  
#17 Posted : Sunday, November 5, 2017 6:22:23 AM(UTC)
Everything is about power and influence. Papa John's with their ultimatum can fuck right off.
beast  
#18 Posted : Sunday, November 5, 2017 7:53:49 PM(UTC)
unless you can prove the government is involved in this requirement

If the move were to happen right now, I've think it'd be fairly easy to prove at least the President of the government was involved Flapper

And even if they require to stand... opps, all our shoelaces just happen to be untied all at the same time, got to tie them now, safety regulations and all (please note this is tongue and cheek)

Honestly, I don't remember the Federalist papers off the top of my head... but when I read this one, bells went off like I had heard this before... with the concern for the majority being attached to the electoral college, the government officials didn't trust the average vote getting real info, and biased media/rumors effecting their votes... which is pretty true now, with the extremely biased medias (on both sides) being completely one sided and biased with their programing.

Trying to limit all the negative news of their party and over highlighting the negative stuff on the side. It's amazing, how many times, someone will attack the other party, not realizing their party does the same horrible things.
beast  
#19 Posted : Monday, November 6, 2017 12:09:54 AM(UTC)
We got the setup, all they need is the pitch...And here it is!
Jerry Jones', it's not me that want Goodell out, it's the real American expert that wants Goodell out.

You gotta give Jerry Jones credit, he knows marketing and how to set the image up.
- Jones got overruled on his best player being suspended
- Jones got overruled on forcing the players to stand
- Jones is being hurt both via NFL ratings AND his Pizza selling
- Jones is (reportedly) trying to block Goodell's new contract
But nope, it's not him that has the problem, it's the "expert"... Wink right...

Jones is putting in a lot of effort for something, he doesn't want.
Barfarn  
#20 Posted : Monday, November 6, 2017 9:23:23 AM(UTC)
beast said: Go to Quoted Post
If the move were to happen right now, I've think it'd be fairly easy to prove at least the President of the government was involved Flapper

Honestly, I don't remember the Federalist papers off the top of my head... but when I read this one, bells went off like I had heard this before... with the concern for the majority being attached to the electoral college, the government officials didn't trust the average vote getting real info, and biased media/rumors effecting their votes... which is pretty true now, with the extremely biased medias (on both sides) being completely one sided and biased with their programing.

Trying to limit all the negative news of their party and over highlighting the negative stuff on the side. It's amazing, how many times, someone will attack the other party, not realizing their party does the same horrible things.

Asserting the the Owners are acting with Tyranny [of majority] in suppressing protest is a very different conversation than bringing a 1st Amend claim against them. But, Geragos has subpoenaed, Kraft and Jones, and Texans Owner [This was before their QB went down] to exploit their relationships with Trump to make a Federal claim in addition to the labor claims asserted.

Neither De Tocqueville Chapter 15/DIA nor Fed #10 discuss the electoral college. It was Hamilton in Fed #68 that suggested the E.College could be one tool to protect against a populist president that would rule only in the interest of those that elected to satiate and maintain his base. It was feared that if a person from a populous state or a block of states, like the southern states, could secure 90 to 100% of the vote; they’d win the presidency regardless of what the other States did. So the EC worked 2 ways: (1) the EC could just elect someone else more qualified; and (2) it would work more subtly by working automatically. That is, a person winning a state by a huge margin has that total negated and brought in line to the ratio of the state’s population to the Country’s. He also would not get 20-30-40% of the vote in the states he lost, he’d get zero.

Interestingly, when Madison authored the 1st Amendment regarding the press he thought it’s importance was to rally the minority against a tyrannical ruler. He did not see it as playing a part in informing the people so they could express their consent, because it was the idiotic majority that installed the populist/tyrannical ruler in the first place and they’d be the oppressors.

Madison believed solid government structures like checks and balances provided by triumvirate rule and smaller local and State units of government would protect the rights of the minority. Until he saw what Hamilton was developing as treasury secretary. Madison feared the treasury’s issuing of bonds, forming banks and subsidizing business would cause congress and other powerful leaders to be indebted to Hamilton, thus undermining the safeguards the structures of government afforded. In Fed 10 Madison only saw majority factions as a problem; but this caused him to realize well-funded minority factions could be just as problematic. Dam, this guy was saw the Koch Brothers and the Mercers 220 years ago.

He also came to see that nationally organized parties, whose goal is to spread their influence, would be best served by a free and robust debate afforded by free press. And came to see the 1st Amendment as another vital check and balance.

But, Madison really honed his opinion of the 1st Amendment leading up to the 1800 election. The Federalist Party controlled all 3 branches and they passed the Sedition Act in 1798. It made it a CRIME to state false things about President, Congress or the US; but NOT against VP Jefferson. Madison saw this consolidation of power as ending our fledgling nation. Note: Trump and Bannon are not creative, they’re just copying from these Federalist Party mutts.

Madison in his Virginia Resolutions of 1800 attacked the Sedition Act arguing that free speech is an absolute right and that the Government Congress cannot interfere with the Press. He described free speech as a cornerstone principle of our democracy and absolutely vital to our national security.

What many media outlets are doing today is not done to inform and should not be protected under the 1st Amendment as the Press. Fox News’ founder open admitted that the purpose of his network was not to inform; but to spread a conservative agenda. Same for Breitbart. And there are rumors that Mueller in investigating Hannerty as a co-conspirator in Russia’s intrusion into the highest levels of our government. To be named as a co-conspirator one need only know about the scheme and further it and the furthering part does not have to be an independent crime [EG it’s not a crime to drive a friend home from a bank, but it can be if you know he just robbed it]. I think Hannerty qualifies.

What is so frustrating about those protesting the protests, is that when they speak about disrespecting the Anthem, they prove they don’t understand some of the most fundamental tenants of our democracy. Madison would have been fine with agreeing or disagreeing with the players; but would have found their denigration exceedingly offensive. And behavior that offends Madison’s view of free speech should not be catered to any more than Dodgers should have sent Robinson back to minors because 10K White Dodger fans skipped opening day in ‘47. So Papa Johns take your ketchup covered cardboard and don’t let the door hit ya in the ass.
Rss Feed