Ice2White
13 years ago

The only thing that I am worried about in this game is the way Ryan dinks and dunks all game. His passes never seemed to be over 7 yards against us. He relies heavily on his WR's getting YAC. Our defense seems to allow a lot of those passes, so I am a little worried that we will not stop that all day. I'd like to see a more man to man approach to cut out what Ryan likes to do. If we can limit Turner's production it will be a one dimensional game, and I don't think Ryan can carry his team like Rodgers can.

"rabidgopher04" wrote:

So they run a West Coast Offense?

"coltonja" wrote:

No. Like coltonja said, it's a run first offense. Mularkey makes that very clear in interviews. Our passing routes are mostly timing based, and while we do throw short very often, we don't get tons of yards after the catch.
I\'m a Falcons fan, but I just wanna talk football. Not start a fight.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

Atlanta Falcons ( 13 - 3 )

Total Offense = 16th
Passing Offense = 15th
Rushing Offense = 12th

Total Defense = 16th
Passing Defense = 22nd
Rushing Defense = 10th

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

It is amazing that the Falcons are the elite team in the NFC although they seem to be truly average in their stats.

"wpr" wrote:

I don't know, but would tend to bet that the falcons +/- turnover ratio is one of the best in the NFL. That is the one stat that can turn average numbers into elite ones.

Atl +14 is 3rd best. GB is #4 at +10.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
13 years ago
Im going to have to go with 34-14 Pack ... truner scores on 2 TDs and thats the only scores they get.

We carve em up in the passing game ... and keep em off balance with starks and jackson.

oh and woodson gets his pick
Cheesey
13 years ago
First, welcome ICE!

If you look at the stats, think about this: All of the Packer's losses were by 4 points or less. A few breaks, and we could have had a perfect season going. The Falcons got those breaks, and are the #1 seed. They earned it.
I expect it to be a good hard fought game, with the team making less mistakes getting the win.
I think the Packers will win (of course you would expect that from me, hey? LOL!)

As far as the Falcons having an extra week off, i think sometimes that can hurt more then help. At least that's what i'm hoping for!
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
looks like I will be spending the game with my son at his place in Chicago. Nothing wrong with that. But it means getting home late and that I won't have a chance to chat with all of you. (or as my wife's clan says, Ya'll.)

Let's see chatting with you reprobate or spending the evening with my son, hmmmm..........

not even close, I'll take him. :thumbleft:
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Why can't you do both?
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Some random thoughts about the game.

1) Top to bottom, the Packers have to be one of the most talented 6th seeds ever. The 2007 Giants were a talented team, but at the very least, they had nowhere near the talent and poise at the quarterback position that the Packers have. They also had a stronger defensive line than this year's Packers, at least in terms of quarterback pressure, but the Packers' secondary this year is better than the Giants' was in 2007. The Packers also have a solid and deep linebacking corps. Where the Packers do not compare favorably to the Giants is in their running game, but it looks like Starks is coming along nicely, so that should mitigate the deficit some.

2) All you people who were saying that Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy needed to win a playoff game in order to save their jobs can sit back and just enjoy the ride now.

3) I said several times earlier in the season that it was impossible for me to believe there wasn't some running back, somewhere in the league, who could n't get the Packers more than the 20 or 30 yards a game Jackson was netting. Well, it looks like I was right -- and it turns out he was on our own roster the entire time. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Starks can do against the Falcons' defensive line. Had he come on strong in the first Falcons game, Rodgers might very well have never fumbled on the goal line, and the final score would have looked very different. Starks will be important to the Packers' success between the 20s, but I think he'll be pivotal in goal-line situations. The Packers will need a credible rushing threat to free up Rodgers in the red zone to do what he does best: short, quick strikes to open receivers. I would love to see Starks himself catch one of those passes this game.

I think this game is going to be uncomfortably close from the first quarter to the last, and I am positive we're going to see some head-scratching plays called, but I'm surprisingly optimistic about this game. As long as the defense doesn't fold catastrophically in the red zone, I think the Falcons will be limited primarily to field goals, and I don't see any way that the Packers' will be denied the end zone.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

Why can't you do both?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Excellent question.
1. I will not have my computer.
2. It would be rude for me to chat online and ignore him.
3. I am old and can't do 3 things at one. it is hard enough for me to chat online and watch a game. try and spend time with my son makes it even more difficult to follow any one thing.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

Some random thoughts about the game.

1) Top to bottom, the Packers have to be one of the most talented 6th seeds ever. The 2007 Giants were a talented team, but at the very least, they had nowhere near the talent and poise at the quarterback position that the Packers have. They also had a stronger defensive line than this year's Packers, at least in terms of quarterback pressure, but the Packers' secondary this year is better than the Giants' was in 2007. The Packers also have a solid and deep linebacking corps. Where the Packers do not compare favorably to the Giants is in their running game, but it looks like Starks is coming along nicely, so that should mitigate the deficit some.

2) All you people who were saying that Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy needed to win a playoff game in order to save their jobs can sit back and just enjoy the ride now.

3) I said several times earlier in the season that it was impossible for me to believe there wasn't some running back, somewhere in the league, who could n't get the Packers more than the 20 or 30 yards a game Jackson was netting. Well, it looks like I was right -- and it turns out he was on our own roster the entire time. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Starks can do against the Falcons' defensive line. Had he come on strong in the first Falcons game, Rodgers might very well have never fumbled on the goal line, and the final score would have looked very different. Starks will be important to the Packers' success between the 20s, but I think he'll be pivotal in goal-line situations. The Packers will need a credible rushing threat to free up Rodgers in the red zone to do what he does best: short, quick strikes to open receivers. I would love to see Starks himself catch one of those passes this game.

I think this game is going to be uncomfortably close from the first quarter to the last, and I am positive we're going to see some head-scratching plays called, but I'm surprisingly optimistic about this game. As long as the defense doesn't fold catastrophically in the red zone, I think the Falcons will be limited primarily to field goals, and I don't see any way that the Packers' will be denied the end zone.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

In the long run it doesn't matter how good the 2007 Giants were. There is no reason to compare them to the 2010 Packer if you are focusing on the #6 seed as the Giants were a 5 seed. :blackeye:

(Actually I know what you are doing I was just being a smart aleck.)
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
Packers opponent specializes in balanced offense, lack of penalties 

They move the ball with unrelenting efficiency, perfectly content to take what a team gives them. Their defense doesn't bring to mind the Steel Curtain, but it keeps teams out of the end zone. They don't do anything flashy, but they do everything well.

Meet the Atlanta Falcons:

Methodical. Disciplined. Resourceful.

And, perhaps, a team that doesn't get the acclaim it deserves.

The Falcons weren't the popular pick to win the NFC South at the beginning of the season. That would be the New Orleans Saints, who were knocked out of the playoffs in the wild-card round.

The Falcons weren't the media darlings of the NFL. Coach Mike Smith is the polar opposite of the New York Jets' bombastic Rex Ryan. Quarterback Matt Ryan isn't plugged into the league's hype machine, at least not like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning or even the Green Bay Packers' Aaron Rodgers.

Yet, here are the Falcons, 13-3 and the top-seeded team in the NFC, getting ready to play host to the Packers in a divisional round playoff game at 7 p.m. Saturday at the Georgia Dome.

How and why are they so good?

"They're fundamentally sound," said Packers receiver Jordy Nelson. "This team overall - special teams, offense, defense, all across the board - they don't hurt themselves. You have to beat them; they won't beat themselves.

"As simple as that seems, it's tough to beat a team like that."

The Falcons might not be the NFL's sexiest team, but they have balance on offense, sound structure and scheme on defense, a special teams ace in Eric Weems and an accurate kicker in Matt Bryant.

It's a winning formula. Atlanta beat Green Bay, 20-17, on Nov. 28 because it made fewer mistakes. The Falcons were one of just two teams - New England was the other - that didn't turn the ball over against the Packers this season.

Atlanta also was penalized four times to the Packers' eight and limited Green Bay to seven possessions (not including a kneel-down at the end of the first half and one play at the end of the game). The Packers had just 59 offensive plays.

The Falcons rank third in the NFL in time of possession and third in scoring efficiency (39.3% of their possessions end in points). They also are the least-penalized team in the league with 58 accepted penalties, and they are third in turnover differential at plus-14.

That's a difficult combination for opponents to overcome.

"Their time of possession is definitely something that is a positive for their offense," said Packers coach Mike McCarthy. "Their defense doesn't give up the big play. They make you go the distance. It's important for us to take advantage of every possession and get points out of those possessions."

On offense, the Falcons are balanced between run and pass. Running back Michael Turner rushed for 1,371 yards and 12 touchdowns and receiver Roddy White caught 115 passes for 1,389 yards and 10 touchdowns. Old pro Tony Gonzalez remains a threat at tight end.

"When you have the balance with the run and the pass, with a good quarterback like (Ryan), I think it's better than having just a great passing game or just a great running game," said linebacker Desmond Bishop. "You can't stack the box up for the run, and you can't tee off on the quarterback."

In the Nov. 28 game, Turner ran through arm tackles and rushed for 110 yards in 23 carries (4.8) and a touchdown. The Falcons' success on the ground helped play-action and Ryan threw only four incomplete passes (24 for 28).

"First and foremost, we will try to get the run stopped on the early downs," said defensive end Cullen Jenkins. "If not, they have the whole playbook open and they'll be able to do whatever.

"If you can get them stopped on first and second down and get them to throw on third down it helps you out a little more."

Ryan has a 20-2 record at the Georgia Dome as a starter and has thrown for 3,705 yards and 28 touchdowns with just nine interceptions.

"I have a lot of respect for the way he plays," Rodgers said. "I think he delivers the ball on time, he gets the ball out of his hands, doesn't take a lot of sacks. He obviously played at a Pro Bowl level this season, and he's tough to beat at home."

On defense, the Falcons don't have many superstars, but they rarely give up big plays and rank fifth in the NFL in points allowed (18.0).

"We've just got to go into this game knowing that we may have seven or eight opportunities," said receiver Donald Driver. "We have to make sure that every one of those seven or eight opportunities count."

The Falcons' discipline under Smith shows up in other ways. They are 27-1 when they have the lead at halftime (9-0 this season) and rank No. 1 in the NFL in kick-return average and fourth-down efficiency.

On top of that, Weems is a Pro Bowl returner (27.5-yard average on kickoffs, 12.8 on punts) and Bryant has made 28 of 31 field goal attempts.

But the Falcons obviously are not unbeatable. They lost three games, including one to the same Philadelphia team the Packers just beat. And on Nov. 28, Rodgers lost a fumble on the goal line in a three-point loss.

"We'd be lying if we didn't say we wanted a little bit of revenge," Bishop said. "I think we've got real confidence. We feel like we match up well against them, and we're going to be ready to go."

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (14h) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (15h) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.