wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
That means about 7-10 carries each. That is not enough for one player. Pick a guy and use him. If he struggles then try the other.

The goal is for Green Bay running backs Ryan Grant and James Starks to get an equal amount of rushing attempts Thursday night against New Orleans.

That's the plan for now, anyway.

With a healthy Grant back after missing nearly all of the 2010 season, the Packers are faced with the new challenge of merging his comeback with the progression of Starks, whose late-season emergence as a rookie paced the Packers through the playoffs.

And the only way to figure it out literally is to let things play out.

"We know what they can do," first-year running backs coach Jerry Fontenot said. "It's just a matter of getting them comfortable and making sure they've gotten enough reps to do it. The only way I see them doing that is getting them as equal of work as I possibly can."

Grant ran for 83 yards in 18 carries (4.6-yard average) in the preseason, his first football action after suffering a season-ending ankle injury in the opener a year ago.

"We'll bring Ryan back in and see how he handles the game and the contact," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "He looks fine. He looks like he did before he ever got injured."

Starks had just 17 yards in four carries this summer, but his production from the postseason - 315 yards in 81 carries (3.9 average) - is still fresh on everyone's mind.

Starks began 2010 on the physically unable to perform list, so this is the first time the Packers have had the two backs together.

"They're both going to take pretty much all situations in the game," Fontenot said. "Evenly dispersed? I can't guarantee it. But I'm certainly going try to get each one of those guys an equal amount of opportunities to carry the football, to hold onto the football and to control the clock for us."

In an offense that probably will rely mostly on the passing game anyway, let's hold off on calling this anything like a two-back system or running back by committee just yet.

Fontenot is simply looking for a working combination between Grant and Starks, not unlike the one he had in Chicago when he was the center and blocked for Neal Anderson and Brad Muster. Fontenot said the balanced attack featured the speedy Anderson and powerful Muster.

"It's nice to have different options at tailback," Fontenot said. "We have Ryan who is as physical as anyone, playing behind his pads - a bruising-style runner. James is more elusive in the hole, but he's still a big back and he's strong, so tacklers bounce off him.

"So, what course is better? I don't know. We'll find out."

jsonline wrote:

more online 

UserPostedImage
rabidgopher04
12 years ago

That means about 7-10 carries each. That is not enough for one player. Pick a guy and use him. If he struggles then try the other.

more online 

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Especially since Grant gets some of his biggest yardage in the 4th quarter.
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
beast
12 years ago
This sounds like it's gonna be interesting... maybe in a good or bad way, we'll have to wait in see. I hope they have clear roles and don't have to question what the coach is gonna do next during the game because that could distract them a bit, if they're guessing what their coach is doing.

Also I wonder who the 3rd down back will be. Mike McCarthy said at the start of training camp, that if the season started then it would be Kuhn, fans have guessed Green would be doing it but some same he looks a bit too raw still and Grant and Starks haven't been the best in pass blocking (though it sounds like Starks was better than last year).
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 

Agreed.

I'm under the impression that Grant doesn't get better in the 4th Q, but everyone else starts wearing down and Grant stays the same, thus he excels at 4th Q rushing.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago

This sounds like it's gonna be interesting... maybe in a good or bad way, we'll have to wait in see. I hope they have clear roles and don't have to question what the coach is gonna do next during the game because that could distract them a bit, if they're guessing what their coach is doing.

Also I wonder who the 3rd down back will be. Mike McCarthy said at the start of training camp, that if the season started then it would be Kuhn, fans have guessed Green would be doing it but some same he looks a bit too raw still and Grant and Starks haven't been the best in pass blocking (though it sounds like Starks was better than last year).

Originally Posted by: beast 

I have a feeling for the first few weeks Green is a game day inactive unless there are a lot of injuries. They have to come up with their 7 players some place. And the 4th RB might be one of them.
UserPostedImage
12 years ago
Well, that makes my RB decision this week in FF easy. I grabbed Starks at the end of my draft for muh bench after I had just picked up Grant. I shall start them both (that's 4 RBs starting this week)!

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

Tezzy
12 years ago

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 

I especially like Grant in the 4th quarter when the game is within one score.

1st - 90 for 366 (4.1)
2nd - 85 for 323 (3.8)
3rd - 80 for 266 (3.3)
4th - 57 for 248 (4.4)

4th within 7 - 39 for 198 (5.1)

1st - 91 for 389 (4.3)
2nd - 61 for 305 (5.0)
3rd - 67 for 272 (4.1)
4th - 74 for 351 (4.7)

4th within 7 - 25 for 120 (4.8)
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

I especially like Grant in the 4th quarter when the game is within one score.

1st - 90 for 366 (4.1)
2nd - 85 for 323 (3.8)
3rd - 80 for 266 (3.3)
4th - 57 for 248 (4.4)

4th within 7 - 39 for 198 (5.1)

1st - 91 for 389 (4.3)
2nd - 61 for 305 (5.0)
3rd - 67 for 272 (4.1)
4th - 74 for 351 (4.7)

4th within 7 - 25 for 120 (4.8)

Originally Posted by: Tezzy 

Impressive numbers for 2010.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
12 years ago
Looks like I missed a lot last year. I'm going to have to watch much, much closer!!!LOL
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Pack93z
12 years ago
One could predict a heavy split two headed backfield for a while.. so this is hardly news.

IMO.. they will adjust accordingly when "trends" appear.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.