buckeyepackfan
12 years ago
Can't wait for pre-season when the rookies and udfa's get all the playing time because the coaches are trying to evaluate them to see who makes the team.

I am sincerely hoping that Manning plays lights out, that would mean that Ted made another good decision.

That doesn't mean Manning will be taking anyones starting position.

Even though some of you have had a "hard on" for AJ Hawk pretty much since after his rookie year, fact is when push comes to shove, Hawk is the best at his position The Packers have.

Do you really want a rookie 4th rnd draft pick to be responsible for how the D lines up? To make any pre-snap adjustments?

A rookie(at any position) can have all the talent in the world, he still has to prove he can play at the NFL level.
As I said before, I hope Manning plays lights out in pre-season, that is only going to make The Packers deeper at the LBr position.

Ted has brought in a plethera of Lbr's in the past 5 years but in the end, whether you like it or not AJ Hawk has been, is, and will be the starter.

Some of you just need to realize that it all starts up front. D-line does their jobs, it enables the Lbr's to do their job, which alows the DB's to do their job.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
DoddPower
12 years ago

Some of you just need to realize that it all starts up front. D-line does their jobs, it enables the Lbr's to do their job, which alows the DB's to do their job.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

I think most of us realize that. However, Hawk has looked bad even when we have had borderline great defensive line play. Yeah, he may be the best we have, but that's doesn't mean any of us has to like it. I agree that he's a serviceable starter and have said so many times. He's also durable and available. That can't be discounted. I think the main point many of us are trying to make is that play from the MLB line backer position needs to improve. That likely will only happen when the talent at the position is increased. Perhaps Manning with help with that, if not, it will be something to address next season. In the meantime, I like the emphasis on the pass rush because, as you said, a lethal pass rush can cover up many other holes defensively.

nerdmann
12 years ago

Can't wait for pre-season when the rookies and udfa's get all the playing time because the coaches are trying to evaluate them to see who makes the team.

I am sincerely hoping that Manning plays lights out, that would mean that Ted made another good decision.

That doesn't mean Manning will be taking anyones starting position.

Even though some of you have had a "hard on" for AJ Hawk pretty much since after his rookie year, fact is when push comes to shove, Hawk is the best at his position The Packers have.

Do you really want a rookie 4th rnd draft pick to be responsible for how the D lines up? To make any pre-snap adjustments?

A rookie(at any position) can have all the talent in the world, he still has to prove he can play at the NFL level.
As I said before, I hope Manning plays lights out in pre-season, that is only going to make The Packers deeper at the LBr position.

Ted has brought in a plethera of Lbr's in the past 5 years but in the end, whether you like it or not AJ Hawk has been, is, and will be the starter.

If he's better than Hawk, yes i do.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
buckeyepackfan
12 years ago

I think most of us realize that. However, Hawk has looked bad even when we have had borderline great defensive line play. Yeah, he may be the best we have, but that's doesn't mean any of us has to like it. I agree that he's a serviceable starter and have said so many times. He's also durable and available. That can't be discounted. I think the main point many of us are trying to make is that play from the MLB line backer position needs to improve. That likely will only happen when the talent at the position is increased. Perhaps Manning with help with that, if not, it will be something to address next season. In the meantime, I like the emphasis on the pass rush because, as you said, a lethal pass rush can cover up many other holes defensively.

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

AJ Hawk has been more than "servicable" When Packers ran 4-3 he was damn good on the outside starting from day 1, leading the team in tackles his first 3 years, then Barnett gets hurt, and Hawk gets moved to middle lb, a position he never played but was willing to make the move.
Once again he was more than servicable despite fighting through groin and shoulder injuries that would have sidelined most guys.

Then The Packers switch to the 3-4, that was when they really thought they were going to let Hawk go, but of course Barnett gets ir'd for 2nd year in a row and Hawk is moved to his position and solidifies the Middle of the D, becoming the QB, and helping The Pack to SB win.

Go back and check, I would wager that there are at least a dozen or more "AJ Hawk sucks" threads that have been started in the last 2 years alone. That's just sad, he's not the only one, Jarret Bush comes to mind, Donald Driver also.

What I don't understand is that Ted Thompson, everyones players guru GM hero, drafted AJ Hawk #5 overall, then when the time came to make a decision on him he resigns him to a new contract with an 8 mil signing bonus. Pretty much honoring the last year of Hawks rookie contract.

Trust in Ted, that's all I ever read around here, but when it comes to a few players that members of this forum haved decide they don't like, no matter how they perform they are either just "servicable" or they just plain "Suck".

So I say why the hell does Ted Thompson keep AJ Hawk and those others?

Just because a player's last name isn't Mathews or Rodgers, doesn't mean he isn't good enough to start for The Green Bay Packers.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
play2win
12 years ago
Hawk and all the rest will look much better with a Bitchin' Camaro DL!

Name one player on our entire D who was not compromised by zero right side pass rush last year... Everyone was made to look like shit when our RDE and our ROLB personnel failed to show up.

9 sacks TOTAL between Neal, Wilson, Green, Wynn, Walden, Zombo, So'oto, Lattimore, and Jones through 16 games. That's just not going to cut it, especially when you figure we only got 5 sacks after week 3 from this group of 9 players. Unbelievable.

Bishop alone had 5 sacks last season. Hawk 1.5. I expect both will see those numbers increase with a better pass rush. Manning will have his time to develop and hopefully he can contribute. Sounds like he's pumped to turn a few heads. Good.
DoddPower
12 years ago

AJ Hawk has been more than "servicable" When Packers ran 4-3 he was damn good on the outside starting from day 1, leading the team in tackles his first 3 years, then Barnett gets hurt, and Hawk gets moved to middle lb, a position he never played but was willing to make the move.
Once again he was more than servicable despite fighting through groin and shoulder injuries that would have sidelined most guys.

Then The Packers switch to the 3-4, that was when they really thought they were going to let Hawk go, but of course Barnett gets ir'd for 2nd year in a row and Hawk is moved to his position and solidifies the Middle of the D, becoming the QB, and helping The Pack to SB win.

Go back and check, I would wager that there are at least a dozen or more "AJ Hawk sucks" threads that have been started in the last 2 years alone. That's just sad, he's not the only one, Jarret Bush comes to mind, Donald Driver also.

What I don't understand is that Ted Thompson, everyones players guru GM hero, drafted AJ Hawk #5 overall, then when the time came to make a decision on him he resigns him to a new contract with an 8 mil signing bonus. Pretty much honoring the last year of Hawks rookie contract.

Trust in Ted, that's all I ever read around here, but when it comes to a few players that members of this forum haved decide they don't like, no matter how they perform they are either just "servicable" or they just plain "Suck".

So I say why the hell does Ted Thompson keep AJ Hawk and those others?

Just because a player's last name isn't Mathews or Rodgers, doesn't mean he isn't good enough to start for The Green Bay Packers.

I'm not even quite sure how to respond to this post. While some certainly take their dislike of player too far, I think you're taking your preference of Hawk too far. Hawk is no better than an average MLB. Serviceable or average, I'm using the words interchangeably. He continues to start because the Packer's have had no one else better than him to take his position (although between the development of Smith and/or Manning, that could be changing soon). That's a credit to him, yes, but it doesn't mean he's anything more than average. Obviously no team can have 53 super stars. Every team is going to have players like Hawk. Every team's fans and/or message boards are also going to discuss how they would prefer something more than average (and sometimes below average) player at a certain position.

As for the Ted hyperbole, I'm not quite sure what to say to that either. He's obviously far from perfect. Many think that resigning Hawk was a mistake. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. It at least provided the Packer's with a serviceable/average MLB for a few more seasons. Either way, I don't see how it can be denied that the Packer's could use an upgrade at the position. I do, however, agree with the approach of upgrading the pass rush first (as I have said earlier). A good enough pass rush can make an entire "average" defense pretty damn good. I've seen some argue that the Packer's could get similar and perhaps even better production from a player like D.J. Smith while cutting some cap room that could be used to resign players like Jennings, Rodgers, et. al.

I fully expect Hawk to be the starter for the entire season. I still think he's nothing more than an average player.

beast
12 years ago
So the hype is Terrell Manning is going to be the new starting ILB?

Kinda like the hype last year about Ricky Elmore being the future Packers starting ROLB?

I don't get why the hype has Manning passing Hawk and Smith. I thought Smith played very well last year and people have been saying Hawk will be beat out for years... hasn't happened yet...

Anyways as for coverage ILB, 🇲🇲 said Jones and Lattimore are gonna spend some more time at ILB. I'm not sure if that's a full time or not, but Jones would be an interesting coverage LB.

UserPostedImage
DoddPower
12 years ago

So the hype is Terrell Manning is going to be the new starting ILB?

Kinda like the hype last year about Ricky Elmore being the future Packers starting ROLB?

I don't get why the hype has Manning passing Hawk and Smith. I thought Smith played very well last year and people have been saying Hawk will be beat out for years... hasn't happened yet...

Anyways as for coverage ILB, 🇲🇲 said Jones and Lattimore are gonna spend some more time at ILB. I'm not sure if that's a full time or not, but Jones would be an interesting coverage LB.

Originally Posted by: beast 

It's pretty clear to me that the general consensus of this thread is that Manning will likely rarely see the field in 2012 and Hawk will be the starter. I'm not sure how much hype that is. Manning has much better potential than someone like Elmore, but that doesn't really mean anything unless it turns into production. It's mostly been a discussion of potential and hopes. I don't expect him starting at all this season, or even being the first one off the bench, necessary.
shield4life
12 years ago
With Hawk we get one good year one terrible year ...
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
DakotaT
12 years ago

With Hawk we get one good year one terrible year ...

Originally Posted by: shield4life 

Inside linebackers are only as good as the line in front of them, and we can all agree, that line was bad last year.

That said, I expect Manning to make Hawk expendable.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (15h) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (15h) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.