DakotaT
8 years ago
When's the last time the Packers had a defensive lineman they "had" to hold on to? For the life of me, I can't remember. I like Daniels, been very happy with his production and the motor he plays with. He's a core player and the kind of teammate that is great for the locker room. That said, I don't break the bank for him. But then again, what we watched Thompson pay Hawk and Brad Jones was incredible. Nothing would surprise me.
UserPostedImage
Bigbyfan
8 years ago
Typical negotiations... Player bids high, team bids low, they meet in the middle.
blank
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Typical negotiations... Player bids high, team bids low, they meet in the middle.

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

What? paranerd said Ted don't negotiate! I picture paranerd banging his fist on a desk as he says/types that. 🤣

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DoddPower
8 years ago

What? paranerd said Ted don't negotiate! I picture paranerd banging his fist on a desk as he says/types that. 🤣

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I think Nerd meant Ted offers contracts like most of us house shop. He has a price set in his mind that a player his worth. He may offer a little less initially, but has a maximum number he can negotiate to. But he is very unlikely to go beyond the top price he has set for a player unless he gets super desperate and panics, which happens to most everyone from time to time.

But generally speaking, I do not think Ted Thompson comes off of the top price he sets for a player. That's just as he should do, imo. Smart management. If Ted and others are good at anything, it's managing the team from a business perspective. They do a great job, and I don't see that as debatable. There's exceptions to everything, but overall, the Packers have done an excellent job managing their contracts and salary cap.
packman82
8 years ago
At least if he doesn't resign we'll probably get at least a 4th round comp pick most likely a 3rd since thats what Jennings got us
blank
uffda udfa
8 years ago

At least if he doesn't resign we'll probably get at least a 4th round comp pick most likely a 3rd since thats what Jennings got us

Originally Posted by: packman82 

TT, is that you? 😂

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

sschind
8 years ago

I think Nerd meant Ted offers contracts like most of us house shop. He has a price set in his mind that a player his worth. He may offer a little less initially, but has a maximum number he can negotiate to. But he is very unlikely to go beyond the top price he has set for a player unless he gets super desperate and panics, which happens to most everyone from time to time.

But generally speaking, I do not think Ted Thompson comes off of the top price he sets for a player. That's just as he should do, imo. Smart management. If Ted and others are good at anything, it's managing the team from a business perspective. They do a great job, and I don't see that as debatable. There's exceptions to everything, but overall, the Packers have done an excellent job managing their contracts and salary cap.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I do agree with the managing the cap part but how are we so sure that the other GMs don't do the same when it comes to setting their top prices. Miami's GM may have had a set price in mind for Suh and he was bound and determined not to go over it and who knows, maybe he didn't. We just think that because it was a ton of money and we wouldn't have done it (or that Ted didn't do it) that he panicked (you didn't say that but some have) It all depends on the value any particular GM puts on any particular player.

As far as what Daniels is asking for, most of ther time players don't get what they are asking for unless they are among the elite players. I don't think Daniels is elite. So he asks for 10 million and the Packers don't give it to him. that does not mean they are going to let him walk. If Ted deems him to be an integral part of the team as he did with Cobb and Bulaga he will be back.

If you recall, reports said Cobb wanted more than he got but other reports say he got more than what the Packers wanted to give initially. Its funny how when players get less than they wanted its because the GM that stuck to their guns and didn't cave but when the players get more than the team initially offered it was because the GM didn't make his maximum offer in the first place.
DoddPower
8 years ago

I do agree with the managing the cap part but how are we so sure that the other GMs don't do the same when it comes to setting their top prices. Miami's GM may have had a set price in mind for Suh and he was bound and determined not to go over it and who knows, maybe he didn't. We just think that because it was a ton of money and we wouldn't have done it (or that Ted didn't do it) that he panicked (you didn't say that but some have) It all depends on the value any particular GM puts on any particular player.

As far as what Daniels is asking for, most of ther time players don't get what they are asking for unless they are among the elite players. I don't think Daniels is elite. So he asks for 10 million and the Packers don't give it to him. that does not mean they are going to let him walk. If Ted deems him to be an integral part of the team as he did with Cobb and Bulaga he will be back.

If you recall, reports said Cobb wanted more than he got but other reports say he got more than what the Packers wanted to give initially. Its funny how when players get less than they wanted its because the GM that stuck to their guns and didn't cave but when the players get more than the team initially offered it was because the GM didn't make his maximum offer in the first place.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I didn't say anything about other general manages. I was just talking about Ted Thompson and the Packers. Their cap situation has been in great shape year-after-year. Many teams can't say that.
uffda udfa
8 years ago

I didn't say anything about other general manages. I was just talking about Ted Thompson and the Packers. Their cap situation has been in great shape year-after-year. Many teams can't say that.

How many star players do other teams have vs. what we have. We have the ONE position you have to commit $ to in the QB position. Outside of that...who do we have that is a true star? Shouldn't be too hard to manage a cap if your only real star is your QB.

Clay looked to be a star but I'm not so sure about him anymore. He wasn't a break the bank kind of a deal for us. Again, you can manage a cap just fine when your roster is UDFA's and a bunch of first contract players and solid but not spectacular 2nd or 3rd contract guys.

UserPostedImage

sschind
8 years ago

I know but others seem to think that Ted is something special in that regard.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (18h) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (19h) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.