nerdmann
8 years ago

So Nerd, you think the Packers need a TE ? IMO, Richard Rodgers will have better success in 2016 with the return of Jordy Nelson. In addition, provided that Lacy looses weight and regains his former potency, another important piece of the puzzle will fall into place. So with these already Packer advantages, the final offensive weapon to complement Aaron Rodgers needs to be a scary fast deep threat WR.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

I don't think they "need" one. But I think they're more likely to get one than they are to use RR the way they did in that Detroit game again.

I do think he'll run better when he drops some weight. Sounds like there was a cultural deal on this team with the young guys getting sloppy about maintaining their bodies. Not just Lacy, but RR too. Maybe even Davante, not sure. I know Aaron called him the "Offseason MVP."

But Mike just seems established in his ways on offense. Not sure he's gonna change how he uses the guy he's got. Otherwise he'd have done so already.

It'd be nice to get a guy either way. Remember, it will take a rookie a year (possibly two) to get up to speed at this position. That's why a veteran would be so valuable. But they'd rather pay Peppers than Ladarius Green.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
8 years ago
Here's an article on that WR.

Packers held a formal interview with TCU receiver Kolby Listenbee 

Listenbee, who measured 6 feet and 197 pounds, was a track star at TCU and, it could be argued, found more success as a sprinter than he did on the football field, where he is projected as a fourth- or fifth-round pick by CBSsports.com. His time of 10.03 seconds in the 100-meter dash placed seventh during the 2015 NCAA track and field championships and was the fastest time in the nation among football-track dual athletes.

On the football field, where Listenbee contributed primarily as a junior and senior, he caught 30 passes for 597 yards and five touchdowns in 2015. His average of 19.9 yards per reception ranked 11th in the country among players with 30 or more catches. He caught a pass of 30-plus yards in seven of the 11 games he played.

Not a proven commodity, but perhaps a little bit farther along than Janis. Kind of a late round type of dude.

A principal challenge for Listenbee is shedding the stigma of being a one-trick pony: a speedster who can run straight lines but is not a well-rounded receiver. The underwhelming careers of Darrius Heyward-Bey (4.30 seconds), Jacoby Ford (4.28 seconds) and, until recently, Ted Ginn (hand-timed in the 4.3 range after an injury prevented him from running at the combine) have given credence to McCarthy's statement that sprint speed does not always equate to game speed.

Definitely has the speed though.

"It was very frustrating for me," Listenbee said. "Injuries are frustrating, first of all. But then I saw my time said 4.35 and I also got mentions from teams saying I ran 4.30 or 4.33 on the hand-timed stuff. It gave me a sense of happiness that I could definitely go 4.2, maybe 4.1 if I got a chance, maybe if I'm 100%. But right now I'm just hurt and I'm still running a good time."

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
yooperfan
8 years ago

Here's an article on that WR.

Packers held a formal interview with TCU receiver Kolby Listenbee 

Not a proven commodity, but perhaps a little bit farther along than Janis. Kind of a late round type of dude.

Definitely has the speed though.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Ahhh, he's hurt; perfect pick for Thompson.

Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
8 years ago
So for 2016 The Packers will have a total of 9 draft picks ?

If true, then a few picks could be used to trade up for a 1st quality player. I hope that Ted Thompson will have the courage to pull the trigger.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
8 years ago
OK, so how do you believe the 2016 Draft picks should be best used.

A WR , a LB, a TE, a CB, D line, O line ?

IMO, get a deep threat WR FIRST !

[cheers]

UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
8 years ago

As bad as Cobb and Adams sucked at WR this past season, the return of Jordy Nelson for the 2016 Season will not give these two any more talent. Janis and Abby showed great promise , but getting a WR for the 1st round Draft pick or trading some picks as part of a package to get a proven WR could be the answer. Trade Adams or Cobb + a 6 or 7th round pick to move up in the Draft. There must be proven WR talent on teams ( like Cleveland, or Houston or San Diego) that would make a deal.

The problem is that Ted Thompson is too conservative and not willing to explore taking a risk.

IMO, the Packers top priority is to get a good/great WR, any way they can .

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

I actually agree. I know it's not the position we have the biggest need at, but I'd like to keep/get it back to a strength.

Nelson isn't getting any younger in addition to coming back from a serious injury. If, somehow, a guy like Treadwill falls to you at 27, you have to pull the trigger. Doctson could be a good pick at 27, as well. I'm not that big on Fuller.

Maybe Tyler Boyd in the 2nd.

After that, I'm not a fan of adding another project at WR. Between Adams, Montgomery, Abbrederis, Janis and whatever UDFA sensation will be added this year, I don't really think we need another 6th rounder to add depth and hope he'll turn into something.
DoddPower
8 years ago

I actually agree. I know it's not the position we have the biggest need at, but I'd like to keep/get it back to a strength.

Nelson isn't getting any younger in addition to coming back from a serious injury. If, somehow, a guy like Treadwill falls to you at 27, you have to pull the trigger. Doctson could be a good pick at 27, as well. I'm not that big on Fuller.

Maybe Tyler Boyd in the 2nd.

After that, I'm not a fan of adding another project at WR. Between Adams, Montgomery, Abbrederis, Janis and whatever UDFA sensation will be added this year, I don't really think we need another 6th rounder to add depth and hope he'll turn into something.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

Absolutely. If a stud WR is available, hopefully the Packers draft him. The Packers WR group should be good or better, but the TEs are the definition of average. A "good" receiving group isn't as good as great, so it is a need. I think Nelson has another couple of solid seasons in him, but it would be nice to start grooming his replacement. I don't think that person is currently on the Packers roster. I see a bunch of #2-3 WRs, at best.
Zero2Cool
8 years ago
I'm going to drop some indisputable draft knowledge on ya'all!!

Draft the best football players and hope that your damn coaching staff maximizes their talent because if said staff doesn't, everyone is going to call you incompetent when your coaching staff fails to bring home a Lombardi Trophy, again!

UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
8 years ago

Draft the best football players and hope that your damn coaching staff maximizes their talent because if said staff doesn't, everyone is going to call you incompetent when your coaching staff fails to bring home a Lombardi Trophy, again!

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

After all, with Aaron Rodgers at QB, who needs anymore star players. Odds are that when he retires the Packers will just go get another MVP QB , again.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

If Mike was able to make the whole greater than the sum of its parts, we'd have won it all in '14-'15.