Zero2Cool
a year ago

UserPostedImage

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Aaron Rodgers thinks there's a way to fix the Green Bay Packers' offense.

"Simplify some things," Rodgers said.

At this point, Rodgers said the Packers need to try something. And it's not just because of Sunday's 27-10 loss to the New York Jets during which they were repeatedly booed at Lambeau Field.

It has been six weeks' worth of offensive struggles. The Packers have scored 107 points (or 17.8 per game) so far this season. That's their fewest in any six-game span with Rodgers as their starting quarterback, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.

Sunday's loss, which left the Packers at 3-3, marked the first time in coach Matt LaFleur's four seasons that the Packers have lost consecutive regular-season games.

"I'm not attacking anything," Rodgers said. "I just think that based on how we've played the last two weeks, I think it's going to be in our best interests to simplify things for everybody -- for the line, for the backs, for the receivers, especially with [Randall Cobb's] injury. Just simplify some things, and maybe that'll help us get back on track."

Cobb, last week's leading receiver, left Sunday's game with an ankle injury and was emotional after he was carted off the field. Rodgers said that was because Cobb thought it was a season-ending broken ankle, but it turned to be less severe. Still, Cobb will likely miss the game next Sunday at Washington and perhaps more. The Packers also played Sunday without Sammy Watkins and Christian Watson -- both out with hamstring injuries.

The Jets hit Rodgers nine times, including four sacks. The Packers dropped six passes, their most in a game since 2017. Rodgers was off the mark on what had been routine throws. And other than a couple of throws to Allen Lazard (who had Green Bay's only touchdown on a 25-yard catch and added a 35-yarder), Rodgers couldn't get anything going down the field.

"I don't think there's many things we're leaning on very well right now," LaFleur said.

When asked to evaluate his own performance, Rodgers said he needs to raise his game "probably a little tick." He also called the offense inconsistent.

"That's why we need to simplify things because on the couple drives that we did move the ball, it was very simple things," Rodgers said. "Very simple plays, no motion, so we need to look at everything and the guys that we've got and what we can accomplish with them and let's be smart about moving forward.

"Nobody works harder than Matt on the plan each week, and nobody comes with better ideas than him and his staff. But if it's not working, it's not because those guys aren't grinding. It's because we're not executing. If you think we have the right players, then we need to simplify things. If you don't, then that's a whole other conversation."

When it comes to personnel, life after Davante Adams has not been easy. In six games, the Packers have had six different leading receivers. On Sunday, it was tight end Robert Tonyan with 10 catches for 90 yards.

Rodgers stopped short of making a plea for general manager Brian Gutekunst to make a move, but if he does, it will have to come soon. The NFL's trade deadline is Nov. 1.

"I trust him and his staff; if they feel like they need to add that they will," Rodgers said. "I think there's enough on this team to be a successful team. There's the possibility, if certain guys emerge, of us having a chance to make a run. I know Brian believes the same thing. But if there's an opportunity, I would expect that Brian will be in the mix."

After last Sunday's loss to the New York Giants in London, Rodgers expressed displeasure with the tone of some of the postgame comments in his own locker room. He brought that up again Sunday.

"It's going to be interesting to see how we all respond to this tomorrow and this week," Rodgers said. "I feel like we had a great week of practice, so this performance today was surprising. We've got to watch our language and the kind of energy that we're manifesting, but I'm going to be steady with the guys and I expect our leadership to do the same."

Meanwhile, it's up to LaFleur to figure out why the Packers can't put together a full game on offense.

"That's a fair question," LaFleur said. "I don't know. I mean, obviously if I knew we wouldn't be in this spot, right? We're in a pretty bad predicament right now.

"We're going to have to take a good hard look at everything and really do some great evaluations from a coaching perspective in terms of what's working, what's not working and try to find a different avenue because today was not good enough."

Continue Reading @ ESPN 

ESPN wrote:

This part stuck out during his conference.

"I'm not attacking anything. I just think that based on how we've played the last two weeks, I think it's going to be in our best interests to simplify things for everybody -- for the line, for the backs, for the receivers, especially with [Randall Cobb's] injury. Just simplify some things, and maybe that'll help us get back on track." -- Aaron Rodgers

So, I guess the QB and TE's are catching on just fine. It's everyone else.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
a year ago
They need someone with speed to be able to clear out the safeties so guys can get open underneath.

Then they need a QB who can deliver the ball accurately more than 10 yards away.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
a year ago
Rodgers is totally correct, as I've hammered, Newman and Jenkins have clearly been on different planets... it's shocked me how they have consistently failed to pick up simple stunts.

Also with Cobb injured, only Lazard and Tonyan have history catching many passes from Rodgers... some of these young guys are probably still learning the system.

Some Mike McCarthy like iso routes with the young WRs might be good... as Doubs has the route running and Watson has the speed. And maybe get Amari on some slants or catch and runs.

But yes, they also need to get the deep ball threat (don't nessarily need hit it all the time, but the threat of sometimes being successful at it), and running game going... to keep defenses honest.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
a year ago
It was obvious to me that Rodgers thumb had something to do with his accuracy. Like when the ball just slipped out of his hand.
If he's unable to grip the ball, then you put Love in.
But to me the biggest problem is the O-line. They can't pass OR run block.
I don't care how good a RB you are (unless you are Barry Sanders) you aren't going to get any yards if there is no hole opened up for you to run through.
And if as a WR, you can't get any separation from the DBs, you won't catch many passes .
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
a year ago

It was obvious to me that Rodgers thumb had something to do with his accuracy. Like when the ball just slipped out of his hand.
If he's unable to grip the ball, then you put Love in.
But to me the biggest problem is the O-line. They can't pass OR run block.
I don't care how good a RB you are (unless you are Barry Sanders) you aren't going to get any yards if there is no hole opened up for you to run through.
And if as a WR, you can't get any separation from the DBs, you won't catch many passes .

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Seems like Newman regressed with picking up these stunts. Struggled with last year, until December.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
a year ago

Seems like Newman regressed with picking up these stunts. Struggled with last year, until December.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Yeah, Myers hasn't yet gotten better since we've drafted him, he's extremely steady but hasn't shown improvement.

Newman has always been inconsistent, but like you said, putting Jenkins next to him, and they're totally been on different pages ... if you don't bench one of them, then I'm having the practice guys running stunts and blitz on them all day until they get on the same page.

Runyan for a 6th round pick, has been great in pass blocking, but seems like he can focus on pass or run blocking and be very good at one, both not both at the same time.

And what's slight killing me... is

After Myers, the next OL selected was Creed Humphrey (the extremely predraft hyped Center) whom has looked like an All Pro, Day 1 of joining the NFL.

After Newman, the next OL selected was Bears RT Larry Borom which their run blocking is about the same, but Borom pass blocking is soooo much better than Newman and he's at RT.

After Van Laden, the next OL selected was Chiefs OG Trey Smith and he's been better than Newman too.

Like, we had the right positions, at the right spots... but consistently made the wrong selection...

And then in the 3rd round this year we draft Rhyan? Whom with his lack of body length is probably an OG only and in college his technique looked great to get the maximum out of his lack of length at LT and now this training camp at RG he looked absolutely horrible technic.

Tom looked like he has potential but struggled in the real game he got in, but there is hope for him still.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a year ago
Packers coach Matt LaFleur was asked if he was surprised to hear Aaron Rodgers says he wants to simplify the offense. "I don't know what that means," LaFleur said.

Oh boy. 🤦‍♂️

Left hand, meet right hand.

Update: Matt said that "tongue-in-cheek". Facetious.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
a year ago

Packers coach Matt LaFleur was asked if he was surprised to hear Aaron Rodgers says he wants to simplify the offense. "I don't know what that means," LaFleur said.

Oh boy. 🤦‍♂️

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I wonder if that's true.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
a year ago

Oh boy. 🤦‍♂️

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

What it means is, run only Aaron's 50% of the play book.

a year ago
Point 1 - Mr Beast Posted re O line selections:

Like, we had the right positions, at the right spots... but consistently made the wrong selection...

And then in the 3rd round this year we draft Rhyan? Whom with his lack of body length is probably an OG only and in college his technique looked great to get the maximum out of his lack of length at LT and now this training camp at RG he looked absolutely horrible technic.

Tom looked like he has potential but struggled in the real game he got in, but there is hope for him still.

GREAT POINTS. Perhaps the chef and the guy buying the groceries are not on the same page.

Point 2 - Perhaps simplify means:
[list][*]call plays which get the ball to our expensive playmaker[*]block better[*]run schemes which inexperienced lineman can lineup and run without numerous iterations[*]run the same simple picks and rubs that most of the other teams (including high school teams) can run which seem to be highly effective in getting even the slowest receivers open[/list]
Go Packers!!!!
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (20h) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (21h) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.