dd80forever
15 years ago

DHaze-

Do not conveniently forget about the MASSIVE PILE of Sh## that Ted has VERY WISELY shoveled out of Green Bay.

The slate is FINALLY damn near clean, thanks to the guy you hate on so much.

2008 - Dead Money hits:

Brett Favre, KGB, Bubba Franks, Marquand Manuel, Tracy White, Robert fucking Ferguson, Abdul Hodge, David Clowney, Marviel Underwood, Ingle Martin, Clark Harris, Tyrone Culver, Jon Ryan, Joey Haynos, Brett Swain, Daniel Muir, Ryan Powdrell, Tony Palmer, Chris Patrick, Cliff Washburn, Jerry Babb, Ryan Dougherty, Noah Herron, Alfred Malone, Chris Francies, Spencer Havner, Ryan Keenan, Joe Porter, Johnny Quinn, Corey White, Mike Peterson, Pat Murray, Larry Birdine, Danny Lansanah, Jake Allen, Taj Smith, Juwan Simpson, Rory Johnson, Jerry Babb, Paul Thompson, Brennan Carvalho, Rod Harper, Marcus Riley, Corey White, Ryan Considine, Scorpio Babers, Rudolph Hardie, Junius Coston,

+ the IR guys....

Take a good look at that list. Some dead money is to be expected when personnel decisions are made, but you might want to ask yourself why some of those guys were on that list in 2008. I would submit that Mike Sherman had no f##king clue what he was doing as a GM (I liked him as a coach) and TED HAS BEEN UNF##KING THIS for years.

Good news... This slate is going to be virtually (finally) wiped clean.

This is a Green Bay Packers GM reality the past several years, not some bulls##sht Madden-esque fantasy football bull##it game played by whiny assed bit##ers (no one on this forum in that category, of course, lol)

"TheOldMan" wrote:

What are you talking about?

Alot of those guys are Ted Thompson guys!

It's been FIVE YEARS.

I'm gettig a little tired of that excuse (as I'm sure are others) that Ted Thompson is STILL cleaning up Mike Sherman's mess.

31-33 does not cut it in my book, and if the Packers don't make, and go deep, into the playoffs, then Ted Thompson should be fired!

Plain and simple. No one is bigger than the Green Bay Packers.

Not even Ted Thompson.

"dfosterf" wrote:

I don't get it either

The MAJORITY of those guys are Ted's guys. I'm so confused as to your point. So Ted gets a pass on "collateral damage" yet Sherman gets "Sucky Management".

Ted Thompson cleared cap space, congrats to him.

What award to they award for that?
blank
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

I don't get it either

The MAJORITY of those guys are Ted's guys. I'm so confused as to your point. So Ted gets a pass on "collateral damage" yet Sherman gets "Sucky Management".

"dd80forever" wrote:

Sherman took chances, they failed. He provided excitement for the off season.

Thompson doesn't take many chances, usually hits on the few he takes. Out of his regimes four seasons, we have two losing seasons and two with eight or more wins with a NFC Championship birth.

Thompson realized when he took the GM spot he needed to turn the roster over and build a core for the Packers. I think after four seasons, we have our core and its time to take some chances. I thought after the '07 season it was time as well, then Brett retired. That to me set it back a year or two. Our Tackles are old and hurt and our QB is raw.

The fact that Thompson traded three picks for two picks to get a OLB tells me that our GM feels confident in our core players and is ready to take that next step.

I don't get how some people think that building successful team in just a few years. I suppose its easy to have deluded thoughts when a GM inherits a solid team that's on the decline but still manages a few playoff births in a weak division.
UserPostedImage
Gravedigga
15 years ago

I don't get it either

"dd80forever" wrote:

Right dude. I mean, he cleared cap space but at what cost? Many losing seasons. Does anyone think we have a shot at a super bowl this season? Next season? Maybe we can make a run at it in 3 years if we keep our guys, maybe if our new defensive scheme works. Maybe if he gets some nfl caliber o-lineman and other key players.

Clearing cap space and finishing 6-10 is not a great job. Sherman might not have had the best cap situation but we were competitive EVERY single season with a division title in our pockets and a shot to win in the playoffs. 4th & 26, the play vs the 49ers in the playoffs. Michael Vick destroying us in Lambeau. Dominating the Vikings all game long only to lose to 2 Moss bombs late in the game. We've had some heart breakers in the playoffs but we were always in the hunt, in the mix. Since 1993 - 2007 I could ALWAYS say that we were the class of the division, by far. The division was an afterthought in my opinion going into the season. Last year, this year, next year. I see the Bears being better and depending on if the Vikings go with T. Jackson or get a real qb, the Vikings are better as well. But hey, look at our cap number dude, it's off the hook.

The thing about the Pats and Steelers is teams like that always find a bunch of gems in the draft. We have not been bad in the draft but we've missed on some picks big time. A.J. Hawk is solid but with the #5 overall, has not produced up to his billing. Lets not talk about Harrell. Collins is pretty decent, bigby does some things well. Our O-line just is not working. Draft a tackle in the 2nd round and play him at guard. Take late rounders and put them in as starters and immediate backups. You want to call it "depth", fine. I call it "we have nothing better so they are on the roster". No veteran backup at quarterback, someone to mentor a young guy and help out Rodgers. No linebackers on the roster who can cover someone out of the backfield. Very inconsistent pass rush and could not stop the run.

You wanna say, "we got out of cap hell" "we got good depth at d-line" "good depth on the o-line" "we got A.J., etc. etc. etc. but we cant stop the run and we cant get any push to open up holes for the running back even with an effective passing game. That alone should open up holes. Imagine if we had a bad/mediocre passing attack. We would never open a hole for the running back.

If you guys want to praise him for alienating a Packer icon and a 6-10 record, be my guest. I chose not to.
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
dfosterf
15 years ago
Brett Favre 1.4 million in 08 NOT a ted guy

KGB 7.7 million in 08 NOT a Ted guy

Bubba Franks 2.0 million in 08 NOT a Ted guy

Robert Ferguson 700k in 08 NOT a Ted guy

What do we have here, so far, in 08 cap hits... hmm 11.8 million dollars

You can call it clearing a little cap room-- I call it one or two pro-bowl potential football players that could be on my team

Oh, you say, but there are a LOT of Ted guys on that list...

Let's take the next SEVEN of them...(per my original post)

Marquand Manuel--- TED guy-- ALSO one of those free agents everyone seems so enamored with 900k in 08

Tracy White --- Ted guy--- ALSO one of those free agents 125k in 08

Abdul Hodge---Ted guy- 2006 draft--- surgery on BOTH knees in 07 cut--
202k in 08

David Clowney--Ted guy 2007 draft--- cut-- 125k in 08

Marviel Underwood--Ted guy 2005 draft--hurt, missed all of 06, resigned 07, cut--107,500 in 08

Ingle Martin --Ted guy --drafted 3rd string QB cut 86k in 08

Clark Harris, Ted guy--- 7th round pick--cut-- 30k in 08

That is 1.575 million for those 7.

Do I need to continue, or is the picture a little clearer?
Gravedigga
15 years ago
Also, the cap is well over 100 million and kgb was the largest portion of the dead money and he earned his contract with stellar play. Anyone else in the nfl would have given him the same money if not more. His deal could have been re-negotiated if we wanted to keep him but he was on the decline. Re-signing bubba was not good. How bubba kept a job is beyond me.
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

If you guys want to praise him for alienating a Packer icon and a 6-10 record, be my guest. I chose not to.

That's pretty damn weak. Alienating a Packers icon? Let's not have ANOTHER thread where a member needs to be set straight on that topic please. What about the 8 - 8 and 13 - 3 seasons? What about an actual hope for a better team? With our previous regime, we all knew it was coming to an end.

At least now we know we're going in the right direction, IF we have a playoff WIN this year. At least, that's how I feel. We lost our QB, a slew of injuries, had the ball bounce against us, kicker missed two FG's that we should have had to give us two more wins and an inexperienced QB running the show with a HC being a pussy with his play calling.

If we have anything else than at least one playoff win this season, I will then be worried. After our draft and looking at things as a whole, I'm regaining some hope.
UserPostedImage
Gravedigga
15 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

That's pretty damn weak. Alienating a Packers icon? Let's not have ANOTHER thread where a member needs to be set straight on that topic please. What about the 8 - 8 and 13 - 3 seasons? What about an actual hope for a better team? With our previous regime, we all knew it was coming to an end.

At least now we know we're going in the right direction, IF we have a playoff WIN this year. At least, that's how I feel. We lost our QB, a slew of injuries, had the ball bounce against us, kicker missed two FG's that we should have had to give us two more wins and an inexperienced QB running the show with a HC being a pussy with his play calling.

If we have anything else than at least one playoff win this season, I will then be worried. After our draft and looking at things as a whole, I'm regaining some hope.

Going in the right direction? Hope for a better team? Zero, we were almost guaranteed to win our division every year from 1993 - 2007. Knew it was all coming to an end? Our cap hell was not soooo bad. You re-negotiate contracts, take a little hit for a year or two and move on. A complete overhaul didnt need to be done.

We're looked at as #3 by most people around the league. And this is with T. Jackson in the division and the Care Bears with Hester as their #1 receiver. I get it, if we got Haynesworth, it would rock the boat with our players. Cant have him making 14 million when a bunch of our other guys make so little. Creates jealousy, etc.

But, with TT's strategy, he has to be a master at drafting and that he has not been. If you're gonna build through the draft, it hurts big time when you miss on a Colledge, a Harrell and get a solid player in A. J. Hawk instead of a superstar. You cant miss on players like that or you will just have a mediocre team. A team that is slated to be between 7-9 and 9-7 every year. No real playoff hopes.

8-8 took every ounce of heart from that team. I honestly believe it was one of Favre's best performances. Not his best stats, but his best performance. I saw him make like one or 2 major mistakes the whole season if I recall. 13-3 does not happen without Favre there either. Same bunch of guys go from 13-3 nfc champ game to 6-10.

Truth be told, I think TT's done a good job of getting our team younger. I'm excited about our new defense although I dont see Kampy being a gr8 fit in it at all.
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Too tired to read all of that. Right now anyhow.

Coming to an end, yes. HELLO! We're you following the Packers? C'mon! Players getting older, no young guys coming in to replace them... that's indication that the winning is coming to an end. Do you think we'd be better off with our previous GM? Give me a break. I know this means nothing to you because it's a vote by peers, but Ted won executive of the year man. Obviously he had been doing SOMETHING right.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago
With all the jabs at Ted for not drafting better, just take a look back. In the 30+ years I have been following the Packers, they have 1 HOF now and 1 soon to be on the way. Reggie and Brett are the only ones, and neither was drafted by the Pack.

Ted could use FA a little more. He has retained players. Jennings will be a big step in showing that when he gets his contract along with Collins in the next year or so.

I do not see a FA recently, that would be anything like Reggie for the team, Reggie got players to come and play here, and that is one thing that is missing. But it was a different time also, FA was new, and with Reggie recruiting we were able to land players. That really doesn't happen any more. Players go with the money 95% of the time.

2005 was bad year, Ted cleaned cap space in the Oline, but nobody expected to lose #1WR and #1-5 RB. People want to look at the record overall. Well I prefer to look at it in steps. 4-12 cleaning cap and with more offensive injuries than I think I have ever seen the team have. 8-8, not a great season, but the team showed it ability late, and looked promising for the future. 13-3, which was one of the most amazing seasons I have ever seen for GB. Things just fell into place with a NFC Championship appearance. And then 6-10 with a defense that was decimated with injuries, and getting none of the breaks they got the year before.

Those last two years, I don't think either team was what the record showed, the 13-3, was something special, but to me, that was a 10-11 win team, that had the ball roll the right way, while last year they were 9-10 win team that had the ball roll the wrong way. This year will go a long way in showing what Ted really has built. I see a bright future for the team, have added what appears to be a couple nice draft picks.

Big question and key in my mind is how the Oline plays, If they can do a better job of opening holes for Grant or Jackson I would expect the team to be right in the hunt come playoffs.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
TheOldMan
15 years ago

Brett Favre 1.4 million in 08 NOT a ted guy

KGB 7.7 million in 08 NOT a Ted guy

Bubba Franks 2.0 million in 08 NOT a Ted guy

Robert Ferguson 700k in 08 NOT a Ted guy

What do we have here, so far, in 08 cap hits... hmm 11.8 million dollars

You can call it clearing a little cap room-- I call it one or two pro-bowl potential football players that could be on my team

Oh, you say, but there are a LOT of Ted guys on that list...

Let's take the next SEVEN of them...(per my original post)

Marquand Manuel--- TED guy-- ALSO one of those free agents everyone seems so enamored with 900k in 08

Tracy White --- Ted guy--- ALSO one of those free agents 125k in 08

Abdul Hodge---Ted guy- 2006 draft--- surgery on BOTH knees in 07 cut--
202k in 08

David Clowney--Ted guy 2007 draft--- cut-- 125k in 08

Marviel Underwood--Ted guy 2005 draft--hurt, missed all of 06, resigned 07, cut--107,500 in 08

Ingle Martin --Ted guy --drafted 3rd string QB cut 86k in 08

Clark Harris, Ted guy--- 7th round pick--cut-- 30k in 08

That is 1.575 million for those 7.

Do I need to continue, or is the picture a little clearer?

"dfosterf" wrote:

So the Packers hired a CPA as a GM, but what does that get you?

It gets you plenty of CAP space, but if you don't do anything with it, again....what does that get you?
Truth be known, I'm TT's baby!