Dulak
  • Dulak
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml 

Packers by position: Wide receivers

Day 3: Receivers.

On the roster: Patrick Williams, JaRon Harris, Jake Allen, Donald Driver, Kole Heckendorf, James Jones, Jordy Nelson, Lorne Sam, Ruvell Martin, Brett Swain, Jamarko Simmons, Greg Jennings.

How many theyll keep: 5, probably.

Best guess (*=starter): Jennings*, Driver*, Nelson, Jones, Martin.

Breakdown: Barring an injury or a setback in Jones comeback from the knee problems that plagued him last year, four of five likely roster spots for receivers seem secure. Jennings emerged as the No. 1 receiver last year (80 catches, 1,292 yards, nine touchdowns) and is in line for a lucrative contract extension. At age 34, Driver (74 catches, 1,012 yards, five TDs) is on the backside of his career, but he keeps himself in great shape, has 1,000 receiving yards in five straight seasons and figures to stick for at least one more year despite his price tag ($3.9 million base salary, plus a $2 million roster bonus). Jones second season was a disaster (20 catches, 274 yards, one TD in 10 games), but he was a third-round pick in 2007 and showed what he can do as a rookie. Nelson was a second-round pick in 2008 and is a lock to make the team. So, as I wrote last week, the primary job defense falls on Martin, who is coming off the least productive of his three NFL seasons (15 catches, 149 yards, one TD). Martins size (6-4, 220) makes him a intriguing weapon, particularly in the red zone, but the former second-round pick Nelson (6-3, 217) is another big target and stands to get more opportunities than he did as a rookie (33 catches, 366 yards, two TDs). Martin received the $1.01 million restricted free-agent tender, and thats a lot to pay a No. 5 receiver. The obvious option to replace him is Swain, a seventh-round pick out of San Diego State in 2008 who didnt make the team. Swain (6-0, 203) admittedly was overwhelmed in his first training camp; a year on the practice squad let him work on his footwork and press releases every day against the likes of Charles Woodson and Al Harris, but it remains to be seen whether thatll pay off in August. Allen (6-4, 196) has intriguing size and, like Swain, a year of practice-squad seasoning. Sam (6-3, 220) remains somewhat raw. Simmons (6-2, 231), who broke three of Jennings records at Western Michigan, probably is the top candidate among the four undrafted rookies on the roster. The slender Mosinee native Heckendorf (6-2, 191) received a $4,000 signing bonus believed to be the most among the undrafted receivers but he has a big adjustment from Division I Championship Subdivision football to the NFL. Harris (6-0, 193) and Williams (6-1, 204) are long shots.

"Packers Gazzette" wrote:

Dulak
  • Dulak
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
I really hope we give Simmons a fair shake; I bet him and Jennings would have a good time on the field.

And I really hope driver sticks around longer then just 1 year as the article mentions (he was Awesome last year; he may be declining but he's far better then most receivers in the NFC north).

Looking for a jones comeback; he was a great go-to guy in 07
PackerFan
15 years ago
This article supports my thought of why the heck did we bring in all these free agents at wide reciever when none of them are going to make the team.

We have Driver, Jennings, and Nelson for sure and 2/3 of those are already top named receivers in the NFC North if not the NFL, despite the lack of publicity they get. If Jones comes back healthy(I hope he does) then we have another WR that is going to come on this year. He made a few mistakes that I wasn't happy with in 07 but being his Rookie year, its understandable and he did flash great talent at times. The only Packer I am afraid of loosing is Martain and it would be a shame if we let him go. I don't know why but I've always liked him.

Really Jones and Martain are the only 2 "wild cards" that could get replaced but again I think its a long shot, which wastes all the free agents time. Yeah it gets them some good tape to use when they look for a job but I would be rather peved if I were any of those men because i would know going into it that getting a job here would be VERY unlikely.
blank
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
I really don't see James "Sterling Sharpe" Jones being replaced. I think he's a lock for 3rd on the chart unless he's injured again or has not recovered fully.
UserPostedImage
croxeye
15 years ago
packerfan, the reason they were brought in as tryouts was to give QB's more recievers to throw to than just 1 or 2, i mean for the rookie orientation you need to have at least 22 guys, and not all of them come through the draft, doesn't mean we are going to keep them, we just signed them for OTA's so QB's have bodies to throw too.
blank
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago
I think Martin is the only one on the chopping block, and he have been there now for 3 years. I believe that last two years he has also been brought back on a 1 years deal.

On a personal bias, I would like to see Heckendorf get a shot, only because he is a hometown kid.

Martin being around is just a safety valve. We know that barring an injury to the top 4, at worst Martin will be #5. If Swain or one of the others plays well enough to pass him, then all that happens is that the depth of the 5 improved.

Good luck to them all. Even being brought in just as a practice target is more than most people in the country get. I would love to take a even 100k to go get beat around for a few months.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
15 years ago
I like Martin, but I hope Simmons makes the team. He's going to run over DBs.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
15 years ago

This article supports my thought of why the heck did we bring in all these free agents at wide reciever when none of them are going to make the team.

We have Driver, Jennings, and Nelson for sure and 2/3 of those are already top named receivers in the NFC North if not the NFL, despite the lack of publicity they get. If Jones comes back healthy(I hope he does) then we have another WR that is going to come on this year. He made a few mistakes that I wasn't happy with in 07 but being his Rookie year, its understandable and he did flash great talent at times. The only Packer I am afraid of loosing is Martain and it would be a shame if we let him go. I don't know why but I've always liked him.

Really Jones and Martain are the only 2 "wild cards" that could get replaced but again I think its a long shot, which wastes all the free agents time. Yeah it gets them some good tape to use when they look for a job but I would be rather peved if I were any of those men because i would know going into it that getting a job here would be VERY unlikely.

"PackerFan" wrote:

I think this was done to stockpile the WR position with players they have had a chance to work with and put them on the Practice Squad in the event we have a rash of injuries.

Good insurance.
"The train is leaving the station."
Pack93z
15 years ago

packerfan, the reason they were brought in as tryouts was to give QB's more recievers to throw to than just 1 or 2, i mean for the rookie orientation you need to have at least 22 guys, and not all of them come through the draft, doesn't mean we are going to keep them, we just signed them for OTA's so QB's have bodies to throw too.

"croxeye" wrote:

I agree to a point, however 12 for 6 spots in a position of good depth seems extreme... I would think that number will be whittled down before training camp in the late summer..

In the OTA's and their "non-contact" nature probably afforded the Packers to take a longer look at some of the skill positions such as WR... still 12..

I agree with Warhawk.. I think they are fishing for maybe one on the active roster but PS players that can play.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
RaiderPride
15 years ago

"croxeye" wrote:

Exactly!

Camp Hands.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.