warhawk
  • warhawk
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

You know what else bugs me that people rarely bring up? We don't generate any sacks. As a team, we've sacked the opposing QB 13 times total, while allowing 37. That's almost 1/3rd. No, not acceptable.

We have to generate more pressure to win more games.

"Dulak" wrote:

ya capers scheme isnt good enough IMO what he is doing isnt good enough

look at the broncos - they also did a new defense this year. And they are 3rd with sacks at 26. Now are their guys much better then ours? ... I dont think so. Ill take our D players over theirs anyday.

ok what denver isnt good enough - how about the DC sean mcdermott we went after; at philadelphia (first year DC at phily) (now their guys could be better then ours - bit iffy there). They are 2nd in the league with 27 sacks.

Capers needs to be more aggressive with the right guys. Stop blitizing a corner and come with some powerhouse backers. Bishop/hawk/kampman/matthews (these guys can all blitz alright - chillar and barnett do ok but they do better coverage jobs then blitzes).

oh ya we are 29th in the sack department.

and ya I dont blame our players

Jolly, pickett, and jenkins have been outstanding IMO (much much better then I could have imagined).

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I agree that our D line has been very good. I will say our sack problem lies with not getting Kampman off the edge enough and the LB'rs. Sunday, Barnett had a clean shot up the middle and instead of keeping his eyes on the QB's hips he's up watching the QB and takes the pump fake putting his arms up in the air and letting the QB sidestep him. His primary job was to get to the QB and he tried doing to much by worring about knocking a ball down that the QB never threw. He blew a perfect shot at a sack.

We had that guy at least four times and let him out. I'm not sticking up for Capers but I will say the players have also had their shots and missed. It wouldn't hurt to have Bishop in there either. Yeah, he's going to blow a play now and then but he's going to blow the Qb up more often than we've seen as well.

Kampman has what? All of a couple of sacks. It's time to call on the dogs and get him and Bishop after the QB and let the db's hold up their end. Screw being conservative. All it's gotten us so far is a run of the mill .500 record beating the teams we should (other than Tampa) and losing to better teams. We already know how it turns out when we face a good QB and don't get to him.
"The train is leaving the station."
porky88
14 years ago
I think Dallas is better than Green Bay. The only way the Packers win is if McCarthy out coaches Phillips and Capers out-coaches Garrett. Beyond that, I expect a pretty solid win for the Cowboys.

The Packers defense is better than last year which is what I guess realistically is all you can ask for, but they need a pass rusher opposite of Clay Matthews and they need some better thumpers inside at linebacker.
warhawk
  • warhawk
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

I think Dallas is better than Green Bay. The only way the Packers win is if McCarthy out coaches Phillips and Capers out-coaches Garrett. Beyond that, I expect a pretty solid win for the Cowboys.

The Packers defense is better than last year which is what I guess realistically is all you can ask for, but they need a pass rusher opposite of Clay Matthews and they need some better thumpers inside at linebacker.

"porky88" wrote:

The biggest problem for the Pack Sunday is what to do at RT. I think we were much better on sunday with Tauscher in there. In the 4th quarter it looked like Clifton was out of gas and when Tauscher went down we went back to a disfuntional offense based on to much pressure.

I don't really have a problem with the defense. We GAVE the Bucs 28 points from what I count. The blocked punt, the 85 yard kickoff return, the INT for a TD, and the INT that they took down to the seven.

I know from what I recall the ST's entered into placing a lot on the shoulders of the D in most of the games we lost. They also haven't gotten a lot of help when our offense takes a half to get going and after we punt the opposing team is starting from around the 40 yard line the whole first half.

I don't recall the D playing necessarily poorly in the losses as much as they were always having to fight uphill against poor field position to start so many drives in those games. I would say they have been responsible for about 4 or five TD's that it would be nice to have back that were actually on them. The worst TD allowed was the one to the Vikes after we got back in that game and the one to the Bengals after we had them deep in their own territory on third down.

A lot of things far worse than the way our defense has played has happened in the games we have lost. If the other phases played as respectfully as the D we would be no worse than 6-2 right now.
"The train is leaving the station."
Since69
14 years ago
This team is a mess and our o-line has no confidence and no coaching. We're going to get destroyed on Sunday. Another 6 sacks - easily.
UserPostedImage
twebdonny
14 years ago
In the words of Pat Reilly..."Season"

How will they respond?
www.travel-ascending.com
macbob
14 years ago

After 8 games into the season, we're in the top five on defense. That's not too bad. Unfortunately our special teams is by far our weakest link and making everything look bad.

And before you say we padded our defensive stats against weak teams, well guess what. OTHER TEAMS PLAYED THEM TOO! So get off that wagon.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Other teams may have played them, but not necessarily in teh quantity that we have. 5 of the 8 teams we played have a combined record this year of 8-32 (and note, we don't have 5 wins... 😞 )
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago
Pretty good movie.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

After 8 games into the season, we're in the top five on defense. That's not too bad. Unfortunately our special teams is by far our weakest link and making everything look bad.

And before you say we padded our defensive stats against weak teams, well guess what. OTHER TEAMS PLAYED THEM TOO! So get off that wagon.

"macbob" wrote:

Other teams may have played them, but not necessarily in teh quantity that we have. 5 of the 8 teams we played have a combined record this year of 8-32 (and note, we don't have 5 wins... 😞 )

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Thats our fault?
That's a knock on us?

Sorry, that crap doesn't fly.

Anything can happen on any Sunday. It's why the games are played.

If we want to rip the Packers on stuff, its our obligation to give them credit equally. If we can't do that, were not worth our weight in salt.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
14 years ago

ILike - I've already stated our #1 problem by far is our OL. But you have to admit that our D needs to generate more sacks. One third less sacks than we allow is not acceptable.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Our D will look much better if/when they don't have to defend teams who get the ball inside their own red zone.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
porky88
14 years ago
It Tauscher can't go, I'd start T.J. Lang at right tackle. I think it might be his best position.