Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/99574069.html 

Green Bay -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell didn't come right out and say it, but if you do the math he presented, it's clear Lambeau Field has almost no shot at hosting a Super Bowl.

Goodell was in town to attend the Green Bay Packers annual shareholders meetings and meet with fans as part of a training camp tour that kicked off Thursday. Goodell answered pre-selected questions from the crowd of 6,000 to 8,000 who filled a half dozen or so sections on the east side of the stadium, but it wasn't until a news conference later that he was asked about a Lambeau Super Bowl.

Goodell said it would be inaccurate to characterize the cold as the biggest deterrent, especially given the decision to play in New York in 2014.

"It's not about weather as much as it is infrastructure," Goodell said. "You need 25,000 hotel rooms within 60 miles. It's an extraordinary undertaking."

Given there only about 3,000 hotel rooms in the greater Green Bay area, odds probably aren't good the big game will ever be played here. He would not categorically dismiss the idea of a Super Bowl at Lambeau, but you get the picture.

Goodell did not rule out that Green Bay could be in the mix if a proposal to move the draft to different locations each year was accepted.

Also, during the news conference, Goodell declined to be specific about the reasons he suspended Packers defensive lineman Johnny Jolly for the entire 2010 season, but he admitted he never met with Jolly before handing down his decision.

"That's not unusual, " Goodell said.

Goodell also confirmed reports that Titans quarterback Vince Young would not be suspended for an off-the-field altercation.

As for the shareholders meeting, it was a lot of sky-is-blue rhetoric that usually marks this event, although learning anything new about the team in general manager Ted Thompson's position-by-position analysis was next to impossible. Thompson said he was pleased with the team's depth and not much more, although he cracked a couple of jokes that made the crowd laugh.

The one thing he did do was accept responsibility for the number of off-the-field incidents the Packers had this off-season and vowed to clean it up.

Here are some of the items that were covered during the meeting

* The Packers have grand plans to create a "Titletown Business District" around the Lambeau area, hoping to team with businesses in the area to boost the Green Bay economy. President Mark Murphy and vice president of administration Jason Weid both spoke extensively of developing the area to attract what Weid said could be "7 to 8 million" visitors per year.

* Among the development ideas would be t enclose Lambeau Field by building suites or a restaurant on the south end, possibly raising attendance just under 80,000.

* Weid said the Packers would be in favor of a youth athletic facility being built that would attract events like the Little League World Series. Of course, all of it would center around Lambeau Field and aid the Packers in raising revenue.

* Murphy said he would strongly be in favor of an 18-game regular season as long as precautions were made for player safety. He also said he is in favor of a rookie wage scale.

* The financial report was given and Murphy once again stressed that while the Packers made $5.2 million in profit, player costs went up at a higher rate than operating income. He said a new CBA with the players was a priority. Still, the preservation fund is at $127.5 million

* The new Vince Lombardi movie staring Robert DeNiro will debut in Lambeau Field the week before the Super Bowl.

* The NFL Network's "Red Zone" will be shown inside Lambeau Field during stoppages of play.

* Goodell said the NFL was still working to get Time Warner Cable to take the NFL Network, but that there was nothing new to report.

* Murphy praised coach Mike McCarthy for having the guts to switch to a 3-4 defense and making it work last year.

UserPostedImage
yooperfan
13 years ago
You dom't have to be the commish to figure out that Green Bay doesn't have the facilities other than the stadium to host a Super Bowl.
djcubez
13 years ago
I thought this was pretty cool actually:

* The NFL Network's "Red Zone" will be shown inside Lambeau Field during stoppages of play.

Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I will always believe that the Super Bowl venue should be awarded in the same way that the conference championship game venue (or for that matter, World Series or NBA Finals venues) are awarded. Let teams play for homefield advantage throughout, including the Super Bowl. And don't tell me it couldn't be done: other leagues have proven it can be done.
UserPostedImage
rabidgopher04
13 years ago

I thought this was pretty cool actually:

"djcubez" wrote:

I think last year they were doing this before the game started.
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
Greg C.
13 years ago

I will always believe that the Super Bowl venue should be awarded in the same way that the conference championship game venue (or for that matter, World Series or NBA Finals venues) are awarded. Let teams play for homefield advantage throughout, including the Super Bowl. And don't tell me it couldn't be done: other leagues have proven it can be done.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Of course it could be done. But the Super Bowl is regarded as a national event and is watched all over the world. To make it a regional event again would mean lost revenue, plus there would be the risk of playing the game in a blizzard or below zero temperatures--something that can't happen in the other major sports, plus those sports have seven game series anyway, which are not practical at a neutral site.
blank
13 years ago
Back in 2003 as a Naval Officer, I had orders to San Diego prior to being sent over for the Invasion of Iraq. The orders were to report Monday after the Super Bowl. I got a delay of one day just because every room on base and every hotel room was booked.

San Diego with a large tourist economy based on the beaches, Sea World, and snow birds did not seem to have enough motel rooms. If the 8th largest city in America with 1.3 million people has trouble providing rooms, I doubt that Green Bay and Milwaukee combined would have enough.
blank
porky88
13 years ago
Personally, I think a Big Ten Championship game at Lambeau would be better for TV. I don't like the idea of two NFL teams other than the Pack playing at Lambeau.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Personally, I think a Big Ten Championship game at Lambeau would be better for TV. I don't like the idea of two NFL teams other than the Pack playing at Lambeau.

"porky88" wrote:

It'd be a home game.
UserPostedImage
porky88
13 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

It'd be a home game.

"porky88" wrote:

haha I was wondering who'd be the one to say that.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (3h) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (4h) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
24m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.