British
14 years ago
A one year deal for $1.7m is hardly risky. That's not a lot of money in NFL terms.

At his age Sharper would have wanted a multi year deal.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago

A one year deal for $1.7m is hardly risky. That's not a lot of money in NFL terms.

"British" wrote:

Neither was Woodson if you look at it that way. He came pretty cheap.

I'm talking about the personal, locker room part. You bring in Sharper, someone who appears to have gone over the hill in Minnesota, and you bring him in. He's going to want to start. You can't really bench him, even if he does bust. If you do, you'll lower your morale and create a hostile locker room in no time. Pro Bowl/All Pro veterans usually don't like to be benched.

And that's why I still see Porter as a risky FA signing that I'd love to make. Or a trade for Shawne Merriman, for that matter.
Pack93z
14 years ago
But that goes back to leverage in a way... meaning, I would believe the Saints would have set out the parameters of how they thought Sharper would fit in. If he didn't earn the starting spot.. he wouldn't be the starter.. and if he griped about it... his remainder of the contract would be nulled with a release...

Not to mention... a one year deal puts the pressure on the guy to play balls out in order to secure another deal.

But you are right.. there is some risk to the locker room dynamic that I failed to mention specifically.

BTW... I would rather take a gamble with Bulluck than Porter.. it might take Keith some time to get on the field.. but the dude was still a force before the injury... Porter hasn't been a force in a while.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago
I'm sorry, but I don't see Porter or Bulluck being worth the 'risks' associated with them. Porter is, simply, over the hill - unless he's willing to come in very cheap and - here's the fun part - shut his mouth and do as he's told (never happen), the 4-5 sacks he might contribute aren't close to worth the headaches. Bulluck is an older guy coming off a nasty injury, and he's not been in a 3-4 system, so you're asking him to adjust as well - is he capable of doing so? Probably. Is he a good guy and would he be good in the locker room? Sure, but are we really lacking leadership on defense?

Merriman is the guy that might be worth the 'risk' - assuming he tracks like most, he'll be clear of the injury concerns and his "character" issues aren't wrecking locker rooms - he made some questionable decisions and it blew up on him in a very public way. Assuming he's willing to grow up (and they would have to determine that from talking to him), he could come in and provide real lift on the left side for a few years. Is he worth losing a draft pick? Maybe.

Merriman, I could see it, maybe - Porter and Bulluck seem like major reaches to me, given what's likely to be available at that position in the draft.
blank
Pack93z
14 years ago

Sure, but are we really lacking leadership on defense?

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

In my opinion.. yes, yes we are.

Woodson is a leader through play... but when was the last time you seen him get in anyone's face for their play?

Barnett talks a good game about being a leader.. but shows little past the opening huddle in my opinion.

I was waiting for anyone to step up during the Cards game on that defense and fire the troops up... instead.. we got filleted up like lambs to the slaughter. Albeit that Harris was missing..

It is easy being a leader when things are going right.. but IMO, we lack it when things go south.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
British
14 years ago

"Rockmolder" wrote:

"British" wrote:

Spot the difference:

Sharper - 1 year deal, $1.7 million.

Woodson - 7 year deal, $52 million, $10.5 million in the first year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2423159 

Four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Charles Woodson, one of the last premium players remaining in the free agent market but also a potential gamble given his recent injury history, reached a contract agreement on Wednesday evening with the Green Bay Packers, league sources confirmed.

The agreement is a seven-year deal that can be worth as much as $52 million, ESPN.com's Michael Smith reports. Woodson will make $10.5 million in the first year of the deal and $18 million over the first three years. Woodson will also receive a $3 million bonus if he is selected to the Pro Bowl in two of the first three years of the contract.

UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago

"British" wrote:

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Spot the difference:

Four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Charles Woodson, one of the last premium players remaining in the free agent market but also a potential gamble given his recent injury history, reached a contract agreement on Wednesday evening with the Green Bay Packers, league sources confirmed.

The agreement is a seven-year deal that can be worth as much as $52 million, ESPN.com's Michael Smith reports. Woodson will make $10.5 million in the first year of the deal and $18 million over the first three years. Woodson will also receive a $3 million bonus if he is selected to the Pro Bowl in two of the first three years of the contract.

"British" wrote:

He came relatively expensive, but for the player he is, he came pretty cheap. $52 million says very little. He's earned "just" $18 million guaranteed over the first 3 years. And he didn't even hit that Pro Bowl incentive. A pretty average CB called Dunta Robinson went over that easily.

That said, it is quite a bit higher than I remember.
British
14 years ago

"Rockmolder" wrote:

"British" wrote:

Spot the difference:

"Rockmolder" wrote:

"British" wrote:

He came relatively expensive, but for the player he is, he came pretty cheap. $52 million says very little. He's earned "just" $18 million guaranteed over the first 3 years. And he didn't even hit that Pro Bowl incentive. A pretty average CB called Dunta Robinson went over that easily.

That said, it is quite a bit higher than I remember.

I'm certainly not arguing that Woodson was overpaid. He's proven to be a bargain. But there was quite a bit of 'risk' there - he was an injury concern and back then had some question marks over his character.

But this is the whole point - Ted Thompson seems to have a feel this stuff, when he goes for guys like this and commits a lot of money he seems to come out on top.

But that doesn't mean if Ted Thompson signs Merriman or Porter they will work. Ted Thompson has shown he knows a good deal when he sees one, so IF he signs a guy like Merriman or Porter then that's a reason for us to think we might be on to a good thing.

Now if Ted Thompson throws big money at a free agent and it blows up then I'll change my tune.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
Hence why I called the Woodson signing very similar to the Brees signing.. just as risky.

Again.. the Saints vs Packers FA moves aren't all that different over the past couple years.

We fix our offensive line problems.. when needed control the ball and keep it out of a 'hot' offenses hand... and we become a dominate club.

The Cards game was a prime example of why you need to be able to run the ball.

Why some ask.. (Zombie, lol)... because when you need to keep the opposing offense off the field and give your defense a chance to recover... you have to be able to run the damn ball.
zombieslayer
14 years ago
And my reply is the short pass substitutes for the run. First downs keep opposing Os off the field and let your D rest. Your best shot is to make 7 yards on first down instead of 4, then the next two downs, you only have to make 3 yards. Bill Walsh knew this, and usually had crappy running teams as his Os were more designed for passing but his RBs were generally good receivers.

You can eat just as much clock by a short passing game as you can with a running game. It's all about first down after first down. That's how you rest your D. It also frustrates opposing Ds and ruins their morale.

Now my primary concern with the OL is Aaron's health.

For the record, I'm not totally against the run. I sometimes exaggerate to make a point, but I make it obvious that I'm exaggerating. What I was mocking was MM's insistence that there had to be a balanced number of run vs pass plays. Screw that. Do what you're good at.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (13h) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (13h) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (18h) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.