Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Fri May 14, 2010 10:56 am EDT

Aaron Rodgers wants Todd McShay to show his work 
By Doug Farrar

ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay is a polarizing figure, and it isn't just readers who take exception with his opinions. Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk recently revealed that there are those in the scouting community who think McShay is blowing smoke. And while the gap between the people who put rosters together and those who write about them has always been considerable, the invective against McShay seems a bit over the top. He may not be Mike Mayock, but he's no worse than some other draftniks whose only qualification seems to be that they rolled out of bed this morning.

Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers(notes) has a very interesting idea, and one I fully support. From his Twitter account today:

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to watch film with some of Espn's experts and hear them explain why teams play 2 slide behind...
less than a minute ago via Twitterrific
Aaron Rodgers
AaronRodgers12

A storm blitz, and other fun conversations like that. Invitation is out there Todd mcshay
less than a minute ago via Twitterrific
Aaron Rodgers
AaronRodgers12

Personally, I love this idea - in fact, I smell reality TV gold. Who wouldn't love to see NFL players grilling [insert the name of the "football blowhard" you hate the most] on trap plays and the Cover-2? "Hey there, Zippy - if you don't even know what Cloud coverage is, how is it that you insist I can't read a defense, and you make a living doing it?"

Seriously, I do think that it's a good idea to make sure that all NFL analysts of any renown know at least the basics of the game. Most do (and believe me, as much as we cap on Jon Gruden's broadcasting style in a good-natured way, we are well aware that he would totally demolish us at the whiteboard), but it would be good to know who's talking out their pieholes without a clue as to what's really happening on the field. I'm not saying that every analyst should be able to immediately identify "Strong Right F' Short 400 Jet X' Slant", but without the knowledge of basic on-field concepts, it would be tough to be taken seriously on an every-day level. That goes for anyone, in any business.

And here's a good idea to reward the scribes and broadcasters with the highest scores - better access to actual game tape, and more time with assistant coaches. It's a win-win, and I'm sure Aaron Rodgers would agree. Example: Matt Bowen(notes), who writes for our friends at the National Football Post and can correctly identify a Storm Blitz, would probably place in the top percentile.

H/T: Cheesehead TV

Grist for the mill of those who say Rodgers is cocky, conceited, and arrogant.
UserPostedImage
IronMan
13 years ago
Tod McShay hates Ted Thompson. Its obvious.
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
lol
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
13 years ago
McShay = dhazer???? :icon_smile: :icon_smile:
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Pack93z
13 years ago

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

His timing with the get on board comment was piss poor.. and I still don't like it.

His poking his nose into Kampman's business.. borderline BS.. much like Brett on Walkersome time ago.

This here.. I agree with him.. McShay would choke on his words from the beginning to end.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Shawn, really? Do you know when the get on board comment was spoken and in the full context? What Kampman business?

I mention this because I know your full bias against QB's and I think your opinion is predicated off that bias. 🙂
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Based on who the comment was directed at, I liked it then and I liked it now. The way those fans treated Rodgers was unacceptable. It truly was shit-or-get-off-the-pot time. It was nice to see him stand up for himself. If that's the worst charge that can be leveled against Rodgers (I can't remember hearing tales about him passing out drunk in Appleton bars, for example), I'd say he's comported himself with consummate grace.
UserPostedImage
tromadz
13 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

His timing with the get on board comment was piss poor.. and I still don't like it.

His poking his nose into Kampman's business.. borderline BS.. much like Brett on Walkersome time ago.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Are you serious? I loved the get on board comment. The timing, the balls, the everything. Everyone was against him(or at least doubted) and he said that shit. lol. BALLS!
Pack93z
13 years ago
Yes.. I know the full context, and yes I know the timing, and yes I can conduce the intended meaning.

But the comment could have blown the whole emotional situation sky high.. you had rumors of a locker room that was partially divided. You had a fan base that to this day is still partially divided because of the decision. Not that the decision was wrong, it just had a ton of emotional charge to it.

And here we have one of the main components, albeit unfairly pitted as the villain by some, fueling it with a decisive challenging comment to all parties.

Sure it took balls, but I think the risk outweighed the reward at that point..

As history sits now.. Rodgers backed up his part of the bargain and the possible negative impact never really was given a chance to breathe because of his play..

I just think he added pressure to a situation that needed no more.. if he would have struggled I think it would have been used to virtually lynch him with his own words.

The Kampman deal was last summer speaking to the Milwaukee station on the Kampman situation, him switching positions and how he should be at the offseason work.. with a veteran like Kampman, I don't think you speak that stuff outside of the locker room.. if you hold that opinion.. speak it there or to the player themselves.. don't give the media the ability to twist and prod for a story.

It is my opinion of how to conduct yourself.. nothing more... as I have stated before many times, I haven't condemned him for it or hold it against him.. I just happen to not agree with his words.

Furthermore.. it is nitpicking in a way.. he has handled himself more graciously than most would ever be able to.. personally I respect him greatly as a player.. even if he plays QB.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
I guess I don't remember Kampman missing anytime.

The QB is the leader of the team, like it or not, that's just how it is. If he doesn't take the bull by the horns, he won't be well respected in the locker room. Albeit, it must be tactfully done.

Aaron, how do you feel about Kampman being reluctant to play LB?
Good - He is a true professional and we're confident he'll make the most of the transition and benefit the team.
Bad - He needs to stop whining about it and do his job.

I haven't been able to find the comments by Rodgers on Kampman. 😞
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (15h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.