Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Fri May 14, 2010 10:56 am EDT

Aaron Rodgers wants Todd McShay to show his work 
By Doug Farrar

ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay is a polarizing figure, and it isn't just readers who take exception with his opinions. Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk recently revealed that there are those in the scouting community who think McShay is blowing smoke. And while the gap between the people who put rosters together and those who write about them has always been considerable, the invective against McShay seems a bit over the top. He may not be Mike Mayock, but he's no worse than some other draftniks whose only qualification seems to be that they rolled out of bed this morning.

Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers(notes) has a very interesting idea, and one I fully support. From his Twitter account today:

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to watch film with some of Espn's experts and hear them explain why teams play 2 slide behind...
less than a minute ago via Twitterrific
Aaron Rodgers
AaronRodgers12

A storm blitz, and other fun conversations like that. Invitation is out there Todd mcshay
less than a minute ago via Twitterrific
Aaron Rodgers
AaronRodgers12

Personally, I love this idea - in fact, I smell reality TV gold. Who wouldn't love to see NFL players grilling [insert the name of the "football blowhard" you hate the most] on trap plays and the Cover-2? "Hey there, Zippy - if you don't even know what Cloud coverage is, how is it that you insist I can't read a defense, and you make a living doing it?"

Seriously, I do think that it's a good idea to make sure that all NFL analysts of any renown know at least the basics of the game. Most do (and believe me, as much as we cap on Jon Gruden's broadcasting style in a good-natured way, we are well aware that he would totally demolish us at the whiteboard), but it would be good to know who's talking out their pieholes without a clue as to what's really happening on the field. I'm not saying that every analyst should be able to immediately identify "Strong Right F' Short 400 Jet X' Slant", but without the knowledge of basic on-field concepts, it would be tough to be taken seriously on an every-day level. That goes for anyone, in any business.

And here's a good idea to reward the scribes and broadcasters with the highest scores - better access to actual game tape, and more time with assistant coaches. It's a win-win, and I'm sure Aaron Rodgers would agree. Example: Matt Bowen(notes), who writes for our friends at the National Football Post and can correctly identify a Storm Blitz, would probably place in the top percentile.

H/T: Cheesehead TV

Grist for the mill of those who say Rodgers is cocky, conceited, and arrogant.
UserPostedImage
IronMan
13 years ago
Tod McShay hates Ted Thompson. Its obvious.
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
lol
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
13 years ago
McShay = dhazer???? :icon_smile: :icon_smile:
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Pack93z
13 years ago

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

His timing with the get on board comment was piss poor.. and I still don't like it.

His poking his nose into Kampman's business.. borderline BS.. much like Brett on Walkersome time ago.

This here.. I agree with him.. McShay would choke on his words from the beginning to end.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Shawn, really? Do you know when the get on board comment was spoken and in the full context? What Kampman business?

I mention this because I know your full bias against QB's and I think your opinion is predicated off that bias. 🙂
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Based on who the comment was directed at, I liked it then and I liked it now. The way those fans treated Rodgers was unacceptable. It truly was shit-or-get-off-the-pot time. It was nice to see him stand up for himself. If that's the worst charge that can be leveled against Rodgers (I can't remember hearing tales about him passing out drunk in Appleton bars, for example), I'd say he's comported himself with consummate grace.
UserPostedImage
tromadz
13 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

His timing with the get on board comment was piss poor.. and I still don't like it.

His poking his nose into Kampman's business.. borderline BS.. much like Brett on Walkersome time ago.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Are you serious? I loved the get on board comment. The timing, the balls, the everything. Everyone was against him(or at least doubted) and he said that shit. lol. BALLS!
Pack93z
13 years ago
Yes.. I know the full context, and yes I know the timing, and yes I can conduce the intended meaning.

But the comment could have blown the whole emotional situation sky high.. you had rumors of a locker room that was partially divided. You had a fan base that to this day is still partially divided because of the decision. Not that the decision was wrong, it just had a ton of emotional charge to it.

And here we have one of the main components, albeit unfairly pitted as the villain by some, fueling it with a decisive challenging comment to all parties.

Sure it took balls, but I think the risk outweighed the reward at that point..

As history sits now.. Rodgers backed up his part of the bargain and the possible negative impact never really was given a chance to breathe because of his play..

I just think he added pressure to a situation that needed no more.. if he would have struggled I think it would have been used to virtually lynch him with his own words.

The Kampman deal was last summer speaking to the Milwaukee station on the Kampman situation, him switching positions and how he should be at the offseason work.. with a veteran like Kampman, I don't think you speak that stuff outside of the locker room.. if you hold that opinion.. speak it there or to the player themselves.. don't give the media the ability to twist and prod for a story.

It is my opinion of how to conduct yourself.. nothing more... as I have stated before many times, I haven't condemned him for it or hold it against him.. I just happen to not agree with his words.

Furthermore.. it is nitpicking in a way.. he has handled himself more graciously than most would ever be able to.. personally I respect him greatly as a player.. even if he plays QB.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
I guess I don't remember Kampman missing anytime.

The QB is the leader of the team, like it or not, that's just how it is. If he doesn't take the bull by the horns, he won't be well respected in the locker room. Albeit, it must be tactfully done.

Aaron, how do you feel about Kampman being reluctant to play LB?
Good - He is a true professional and we're confident he'll make the most of the transition and benefit the team.
Bad - He needs to stop whining about it and do his job.

I haven't been able to find the comments by Rodgers on Kampman. 😞
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (5h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (11h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (13h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (13h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (15h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (15h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (15h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (16h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (16h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
31m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.