Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/97825284.html 

Green Bay There were more than 80 players out there this spring and summer and literally dozens of new faces. Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy had to study them all, some on first impressions, everyone in a blur. It's not easy to become distinguishable in a crowd like this.

Yet receivers James Jones and Jordy Nelson managed to separate from the crowd.

"Outstanding off-seasons," said McCarthy during the last Packers minicamp. "If you go through the films, James Jones, just from a production standpoint, probably stands out as one of the top performers through the OTAs. He's gotten a lot of opportunities, particularly in the slot with Donald's absence, and I think he's done a very good job of that."

It's never a bad thing to get praise like that from the head man. Except it was June.

Jones would like to hear it again in November.

He did his best when he got more practice time in veteran receiver Donald Driver's slot spot while Driver rested his 35-year-old knees.

But Jones, heading into his fourth year, wants a lot more than attention.

He wants a 1,000-yard season and a time share in the end zone.

"I have set my goals. I definitely want to have a 1,000-yard season. That comes with opportunity, so we'll see," Jones said. "I always tell myself to shoot for 1,000 yards and double-digit touchdowns.

"We'll see if the opportunities present themselves. I can't run without the ball."

The tone in Jones' voice wasn't whiny or sarcastic. It was the voice of a realist, and he spoke matter-of-factly.

Jones once again finds himself on a team stocked with talent with the intent to balance the offense between the pass and the run.

That means the hard, cold facts boil down to simple math.

Aaron Rodgers averaged almost 34 pass attempts per game last year, and he always aimed to spread them around his talented receivers, tight ends and even running backs.

So, of Rodgers' 350 completions, 230 went to the top four guys: receivers Driver (70) and Greg Jennings (68) and tight ends Jermichael Finley (55) and Donald Lee (37).

Jones was the fifth option with 32 catches last year, though he got five touchdowns and 440 total yards out of them for a 13.8-yard average.

"We've got so many weapons on this offense I can't really complain if I don't always get the ball," Jones said. "You know what I mean? I have to get the ball in this offense whenever the opportunity presents itself."

That's what Jones' receivers coach, Jimmy Robinson told him, and that's the line Jones is sticking with.

He's not in Rodgers' ear with his goals and won't remind him that he had 47 receptions as a rookie in 2007. Or that he, too, was frustrated in 2008 with injuries that kept him to just 20 catches that year.

Jones won't even consider having a talk with Rodgers, concerned that it might come off like a complaint.

"I may tell him I was open," Jones said, laughing. "But I will never say, 'Throw it to me.' "

It has been suggested that Jones might be a starter on another team. But Jones expects Driver to be the same productive receiver he's been for a decade. And the talent is undeniable in Jennings, a close friend of Jones.

With a locker right next to Nelson, Jones can both commiserate and admire his abilities as well.

Jones and Nelson have had some standout plays this off-season. One of them came on a pass in the red zone. The pass was targeted for Nelson, but Jones made an incredible athletic leap and stole the ball from No. 87 for the completion and touchdown.

"The summer has meant more repetitions, more reps at different positions," Jones said. "When it is me, Greg and Donald in the game, we play different positions and stay at that position. In this camp, with Donald being out, me, Greg and Jordy moved around. Like my coach always tells me, you've got to make the most of your chances. If you get one ball, you better make the play.

"So all I did was go out there and try to control what I can control and make as many plays as I could."

Jones fights hard to remain patient and play his role even as he prepares like a starter.

"Well, you think that but, like I said, I don't want to say that and then end up with 20 catches again for another season," Jones said. "Hopefully you can come to me after maybe Week 5, and I will give you a real good story."

So Jones took a little time off after the minicamp ended June 22, but he's right back to working out and punishing his body in California. It's all he can do for now - keep working hard and counting the days until training camp, when he hopes to turn all this work into production.

UserPostedImage
voiceofreason
13 years ago
I love James Jones. His name has such a strong ring to it, and I'll never forget that preseason touchdown against the Bengals. I'm convinced he will eventually replace Driver, and that he is better than Nelson.
blank
Mckennj3
13 years ago
The receiving core of this team is going to be a strength for a long time to come. We got james ready to jump in for driver anytime he decides to let his age show, and Nelson in the wings for one of the best 4th receivers in the game. No need to say anything about Finley because he's going to be a beast for years, I'd say if him or Quarless can pickup the blocking scheme well enough then Lee is more then expendable. I'd try moving him for anything you can get at this point. Because at this point there's no way we can carry 3 fb's again.
Thats one hell of a young group to develop together.
We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.
blueleopard
13 years ago
Good ol' San Jose State alum.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Greg C.
13 years ago
I'd been hearing praise for Nelson during the off-season, and it's good to hear that Jones is looking good too. Halfway through his rookie season, I thought Jones was going to be a star, then he sort of hit a rookie wall, then he fought through injuries in 2008. Last year was better, but he's dropped too many balls and hasn't made as many big plays as I expected.

I still think he could be a very good player, though, and he would probably do a respectable job in Driver's place if needed.

As voiceofreason mentioned, that preseason TD against the Bengals in 2008 was amazing. The other play that stands out was the long TD against Champ Bailey in Denver in 2007, when he caught the ball around midfield and cut all the way across the field to reach the goal line.
blank
PackerTraxx
13 years ago
I like both Jones and Nelson. Both have the talent to be stars. They both just have to be more consistent so they can really be counted on.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (16h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (17h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.