Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/97825284.html 

Green Bay There were more than 80 players out there this spring and summer and literally dozens of new faces. Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy had to study them all, some on first impressions, everyone in a blur. It's not easy to become distinguishable in a crowd like this.

Yet receivers James Jones and Jordy Nelson managed to separate from the crowd.

"Outstanding off-seasons," said McCarthy during the last Packers minicamp. "If you go through the films, James Jones, just from a production standpoint, probably stands out as one of the top performers through the OTAs. He's gotten a lot of opportunities, particularly in the slot with Donald's absence, and I think he's done a very good job of that."

It's never a bad thing to get praise like that from the head man. Except it was June.

Jones would like to hear it again in November.

He did his best when he got more practice time in veteran receiver Donald Driver's slot spot while Driver rested his 35-year-old knees.

But Jones, heading into his fourth year, wants a lot more than attention.

He wants a 1,000-yard season and a time share in the end zone.

"I have set my goals. I definitely want to have a 1,000-yard season. That comes with opportunity, so we'll see," Jones said. "I always tell myself to shoot for 1,000 yards and double-digit touchdowns.

"We'll see if the opportunities present themselves. I can't run without the ball."

The tone in Jones' voice wasn't whiny or sarcastic. It was the voice of a realist, and he spoke matter-of-factly.

Jones once again finds himself on a team stocked with talent with the intent to balance the offense between the pass and the run.

That means the hard, cold facts boil down to simple math.

Aaron Rodgers averaged almost 34 pass attempts per game last year, and he always aimed to spread them around his talented receivers, tight ends and even running backs.

So, of Rodgers' 350 completions, 230 went to the top four guys: receivers Driver (70) and Greg Jennings (68) and tight ends Jermichael Finley (55) and Donald Lee (37).

Jones was the fifth option with 32 catches last year, though he got five touchdowns and 440 total yards out of them for a 13.8-yard average.

"We've got so many weapons on this offense I can't really complain if I don't always get the ball," Jones said. "You know what I mean? I have to get the ball in this offense whenever the opportunity presents itself."

That's what Jones' receivers coach, Jimmy Robinson told him, and that's the line Jones is sticking with.

He's not in Rodgers' ear with his goals and won't remind him that he had 47 receptions as a rookie in 2007. Or that he, too, was frustrated in 2008 with injuries that kept him to just 20 catches that year.

Jones won't even consider having a talk with Rodgers, concerned that it might come off like a complaint.

"I may tell him I was open," Jones said, laughing. "But I will never say, 'Throw it to me.' "

It has been suggested that Jones might be a starter on another team. But Jones expects Driver to be the same productive receiver he's been for a decade. And the talent is undeniable in Jennings, a close friend of Jones.

With a locker right next to Nelson, Jones can both commiserate and admire his abilities as well.

Jones and Nelson have had some standout plays this off-season. One of them came on a pass in the red zone. The pass was targeted for Nelson, but Jones made an incredible athletic leap and stole the ball from No. 87 for the completion and touchdown.

"The summer has meant more repetitions, more reps at different positions," Jones said. "When it is me, Greg and Donald in the game, we play different positions and stay at that position. In this camp, with Donald being out, me, Greg and Jordy moved around. Like my coach always tells me, you've got to make the most of your chances. If you get one ball, you better make the play.

"So all I did was go out there and try to control what I can control and make as many plays as I could."

Jones fights hard to remain patient and play his role even as he prepares like a starter.

"Well, you think that but, like I said, I don't want to say that and then end up with 20 catches again for another season," Jones said. "Hopefully you can come to me after maybe Week 5, and I will give you a real good story."

So Jones took a little time off after the minicamp ended June 22, but he's right back to working out and punishing his body in California. It's all he can do for now - keep working hard and counting the days until training camp, when he hopes to turn all this work into production.

UserPostedImage
voiceofreason
13 years ago
I love James Jones. His name has such a strong ring to it, and I'll never forget that preseason touchdown against the Bengals. I'm convinced he will eventually replace Driver, and that he is better than Nelson.
blank
Mckennj3
13 years ago
The receiving core of this team is going to be a strength for a long time to come. We got james ready to jump in for driver anytime he decides to let his age show, and Nelson in the wings for one of the best 4th receivers in the game. No need to say anything about Finley because he's going to be a beast for years, I'd say if him or Quarless can pickup the blocking scheme well enough then Lee is more then expendable. I'd try moving him for anything you can get at this point. Because at this point there's no way we can carry 3 fb's again.
Thats one hell of a young group to develop together.
We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.
blueleopard
13 years ago
Good ol' San Jose State alum.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Greg C.
13 years ago
I'd been hearing praise for Nelson during the off-season, and it's good to hear that Jones is looking good too. Halfway through his rookie season, I thought Jones was going to be a star, then he sort of hit a rookie wall, then he fought through injuries in 2008. Last year was better, but he's dropped too many balls and hasn't made as many big plays as I expected.

I still think he could be a very good player, though, and he would probably do a respectable job in Driver's place if needed.

As voiceofreason mentioned, that preseason TD against the Bengals in 2008 was amazing. The other play that stands out was the long TD against Champ Bailey in Denver in 2007, when he caught the ball around midfield and cut all the way across the field to reach the goal line.
blank
PackerTraxx
13 years ago
I like both Jones and Nelson. Both have the talent to be stars. They both just have to be more consistent so they can really be counted on.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (2h) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (5h) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.