Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago

I was waiting for Wade, the professor, to respond and break it down..

Obscure lists like this gets one to think outside "their" box.. which IMO is what education basis should be about.. and after going to colleges for over half a decade.. you rarely bump into a professor that gets "it".

"pack93z" wrote:

You are absolutely right about the list's usefulness as getting people to go outside the box, Shawn. There's a lot of talk about getting outside, but sometimes the biggest barriers to doing so come from our inability to see the box our thinking is in. (We can see others stuck in their boxes, but we can't see our own.)

Here's something I'm currently working on as a "minihomework" for the second day of class: They will be required to read the Beloit list, then rank the "top five or ten" in terms of historical significance". I'll then use their responses to point out what their choices reveal about how they value technological change (they're also reading part of World is Flat) and information about the past and the limitations/strengths of those values.

So, for those of you who are game, which of the items on the Beloit list do you think are more significant, and why?
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
zombieslayer
13 years ago

I definitely agree that most profs don't get "it," though.

I sometimes wonder if the best we can hope for from the big chunk of college faculties is their recognition that they don't and that it matters that they don't.

An awful lot of academics are doubly in denial: They deny that they don't get it. And they deny that getting it matters.

I'm not sure I agree about the relative unimportance of changes since 1950, zombie.

Yes, they tend to be primarily information-centered. And without the enabling that 1750-1950 offered, they wouldn't have had the shoulders of giants required to build upon.

But arguably the real revolution of 1750-1950 was not technology or resources/labor, it was knowledge and knowledge use. (Check out the work of Joel Mokyr sometime, especially his Gifts of Athena.) And arguably the changes of PC/Internet/Netscape/Google/cloud computing have been even more transforming.

Or perhaps the story lies somewhere else entirely. Which is why this term my students are going to look at something very different. I've always focused on technology and some other traditional topics (e.g. myths about the economics of slavery and imperialism). But I'm going well outside my comfort zone this term. -- We'll start with Thomas Friedman's World if Flat...then move backward. Still do the Industrial Revolution, but in large part as a way of connecting the "after" of today to the "before" history of trade and globalization between 1000 and 1750 A.D.

I'm really excited about the class, but I keep telling myself to be careful. I was really excited about the way I had the class set up last fall, too, and I laid an [strike]ostrich[/strike]dinosaur-sized egg.

"Wade" wrote:

OK, if you had to give up a time period, which one would you give up? The 1900-1950 or 1951-2000? I'd gladly give up the advances made from '51-00 over the advances made from 1900-1950. Planes, cars, almost universal indoor plumbing, hot showers over speed and availability of knowledge, the internet, text messaging, and near space travel? That's not even close. Plus, labor relations. I'm seriously profiting. I love my life and am thankful for those who got their heads bashed in from the 1900-1950 time period so I can sit back and enjoy America.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
I think its a really tough choice.

Plumbing is huge. Its reason #1 in my book why the "health care has gone to hell in a handbasket" people miss the boat. Its not sexy, but the progress in "sanitation" are profoundly more important than just about any other technologies IMO.

Another big, and usually omitted from people's calculation, are the changes in chemicals that 1900-1950 brought (petrochemicals, CFCs and HFCs -- can you say freon, refrigeration, air conditioning). Of course saying how good those were gets us in all sorts of trouble with all sorts of people.

And, especially if you fudge a few years into the 50s, most of the space travel stuff was done in the earlier period. (Don't get me going on how we screwed up space development in the second half of the 20th.)

On the other hand, of course could not be having this conversation without the Internet. And as someone who has felt first hand the constraints of small town America -- which still lived in that pre-1950 world for my childhood. I'm not sure I would have escaped even as much as I did.

On balance, I probably agree with you, zombie, in terms of 1950-2000 vs. 1900-1950. But not about 2000-2050. I'd much rather be 22 now than 52. Because I think the only time that offered as much potential for world-changing-for-the-better as today does was the world on the brink of the Industrial Revolution. And this one starts from a position of much greater wealth.

It might not happen in the USA, alas. And I would be extraordinarily surprised if it happens in Iowa. The Industrial Revolution didn't happen in Spain or Portugal or Venice. But I think its going to happen.

I'm just going to be too geriatric or dead to enjoy it.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Wade - good and bad about 2000-2050.

Bad, the environment will be pretty messed up. How bad, no one really knows. All these stupid politicians on all sides get in the way of the real facts.

Good, I completely agree with you that the chances for serious wealth are much greater now than before. We have so much economic freedoms now that we didn't have before. Not because the laws make it easier as in fact the laws are in the way.

It's more as you were originally saying about information access. Heck, that's the reason I'm well-off today financially. I didn't know what software was 20 years ago or we didn't have brokerage accounts open to commoners either. You had to prove a dollar amount to even open one.

Heh. I'd much rather be young because the girls now are easier than before, there are more of them, and the dudes today are too stupid to know what to do about it. Plus, I wouldn't have played sports so I wouldn't be in the pain I'm in today.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
Zombie --

I think a case could be made for 1950 or 2000.

But the ones I laugh at are the ones who think it would be better to live in the pre-industrial world. First thing you'd have to do is cut the world population by about 90 percent. Second, you'd have to be in the top 1 % of the population (i.e., the aristocracy) to have a half-decent quality of life. Even then, you'ld likely have more than one child die before the age of 3. And you'd be extremely lucky to live until you're thirty.

Industrialization had a lot of bad going along with the good. But the pre-industrial world defined suckitude.
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Wade - Even today's working class Americans have better lives than the royalty of pre-industrialized world. Sure, the royalty got to wear fancy hats and jewelry, but plumbing sucked, spices and good chefs weren't readily available, and medicine wasn't that much better than the dude with the bone in his nose who would pray to keep away the evil spirits. Plus, the "babes" often had bad teeth.

Actually, cutting the world's population by 90% was the good thing about living back then. Could you imagine being able to drive 90 mph from San Francisco to Los Angeles at peak times? That would rule. I'd love to have open space again.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (57m) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (59m) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (4h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (4h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.