Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Weekly Waddle: Nice to see accountability 
By TOM WADDLE Shaw Suburban Media

Funny things are happening at Halas Hall these days.

No, Im not talking about the unexpected 3-0 start. Even the most optimistic of us Bears fans couldnt have predicted wins over the Cowboys AND Packers.

Accountability is the new buzzword at Bears headquarters, and forgive me for being mildly surprised. This is a team that has historically played favorites based on draft status. How else can you explain the presence of Mark Anderson on the roster and Alex Brown in a Saints uniform. Money? Theres no salary cap this year.

Im not nave. As a former undrafted free agent, I know draft picks usually get preferential treatment. Not so much anymore.

These days, if you arent delivering, youre sitting. Ask cornerback Zack Bowman. He wasnt at his best early Monday night and Lovie quickly yanked him in favor of Tim Jennings, who made the most of his opportunity and played a fantastic game.

When offensive tackle Kevin Shaffer struggled early, rookie JaMarcus Webb got a quick look. Wide receiver Devin Aromoshadu still is paying the price for playing poorly in the opener.

I applaud the change in philosophy. After all, the best players should play, shouldnt they?

Then theres the curious case of defensive tackle Tommie Harris. He was dressed in civvies and standing next to Aromoshadu on Monday. I immediately suspected an injury, or maybe he broke a team rule and was being disciplined. Both were rational conclusions considering Harris history.

It was more than a little surprising when Smith said that he dressed the best 45 players against the Packers. Harris a healthy scratch? How can a $10-million-a-year, former Pro Bowler not be one of your top 45 guys?

With all due respect, youre telling me Marcus Harrison and Matt Toeaina give you the best chance to win? Thats exactly what Lovie was telling all of us. This wasnt a message sent, as weve been down that road with Harris before.

Finally, the Bears coaches had enough of Tommie freelancing and not producing. And again, I applaud the move. If hes not getting the job done, bring me someone else, regardless of where that guy was drafted and how much hes making.

Ill take it a step further: If Smith and defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli have concluded that Harris isnt one of their top four defensive tackles, theres no reason to keep him around. I dont consider Harris a malcontent, but I also dont believe he will sit quietly. Any distraction is a bad one, especially when you have the makings of a special season.

While Im on my soapbox and waxing philosophical, let me also suggest the Bears think long and hard about what to do with offensive tackle Chris Williams when hes healthy.

Hypothetically, lets say Frank Omiyale handles the left tackle spot nicely. Lets say the film shows hes more than holding his own and actually is better on the left than Williams.

Lets also assume that Williams, as many Ive talked to have suggested, is best suited to play right tackle. Again, this is hypothetical, but if it turns out to be true, why not keep Omiyale on the left and send Williams back to the right side?

I understand he was a top 15 pick and was supposed to be the left tackle of the future, but if he isnt the best guy for the job, shouldnt he face the same fate that Aromoshadu and Bowman faced?

As for Sunday night, remember last week, when I told you that the Bears were catching the Packers at the right time? Coming off a big win over the Cowboys, at home, on Monday night?

Well, Im going with the same logic this week, only its working against our guys.

Theyre coming off two huge, emotional wins. Theyre working on a short week and theyre on the road. The Giants are coming off back-to-back disasters. At 1-2, they are in desperate need of a win. They have a ton of talent on both sides of the ball, but consistently have found ways to foul things up.

This game could be the key to the Giants season. The Bears are due for a bit of a let down. Im not diving off the bandwagon, just stopping for refueling.

Pick: Giants 23, Bears 20.

Tom Waddle writes a weekly column on the Bears for the Daily Chronicle. He appears from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays through Fridays on the Waddle and Silvy Show on WMVP AM-1000

UserPostedImage
Tezzy
13 years ago
Has been a very interesting year for Lovie and the rest of the coaches. A lot of things seem different from top to bottom. But maybe that's when you have three former head coaches on the coaching roster. Lovie definetely knew this was the year of years for him to try and keep his job. Curious to see how it all plays out, this story of the 2010 Bears has just begun.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Orygunfan76
13 years ago
It's definitely a make or break year for the Lovie dovie marshmallow man!
blank
Cheesey
13 years ago
"Lovie"......i STILL can't get over that name!
The only other "lovie" i ever heard of was Lovie Howell, on "Gilligan's Island".
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

12h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.