Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Weekly Waddle: Nice to see accountability 
By TOM WADDLE Shaw Suburban Media

Funny things are happening at Halas Hall these days.

No, Im not talking about the unexpected 3-0 start. Even the most optimistic of us Bears fans couldnt have predicted wins over the Cowboys AND Packers.

Accountability is the new buzzword at Bears headquarters, and forgive me for being mildly surprised. This is a team that has historically played favorites based on draft status. How else can you explain the presence of Mark Anderson on the roster and Alex Brown in a Saints uniform. Money? Theres no salary cap this year.

Im not nave. As a former undrafted free agent, I know draft picks usually get preferential treatment. Not so much anymore.

These days, if you arent delivering, youre sitting. Ask cornerback Zack Bowman. He wasnt at his best early Monday night and Lovie quickly yanked him in favor of Tim Jennings, who made the most of his opportunity and played a fantastic game.

When offensive tackle Kevin Shaffer struggled early, rookie JaMarcus Webb got a quick look. Wide receiver Devin Aromoshadu still is paying the price for playing poorly in the opener.

I applaud the change in philosophy. After all, the best players should play, shouldnt they?

Then theres the curious case of defensive tackle Tommie Harris. He was dressed in civvies and standing next to Aromoshadu on Monday. I immediately suspected an injury, or maybe he broke a team rule and was being disciplined. Both were rational conclusions considering Harris history.

It was more than a little surprising when Smith said that he dressed the best 45 players against the Packers. Harris a healthy scratch? How can a $10-million-a-year, former Pro Bowler not be one of your top 45 guys?

With all due respect, youre telling me Marcus Harrison and Matt Toeaina give you the best chance to win? Thats exactly what Lovie was telling all of us. This wasnt a message sent, as weve been down that road with Harris before.

Finally, the Bears coaches had enough of Tommie freelancing and not producing. And again, I applaud the move. If hes not getting the job done, bring me someone else, regardless of where that guy was drafted and how much hes making.

Ill take it a step further: If Smith and defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli have concluded that Harris isnt one of their top four defensive tackles, theres no reason to keep him around. I dont consider Harris a malcontent, but I also dont believe he will sit quietly. Any distraction is a bad one, especially when you have the makings of a special season.

While Im on my soapbox and waxing philosophical, let me also suggest the Bears think long and hard about what to do with offensive tackle Chris Williams when hes healthy.

Hypothetically, lets say Frank Omiyale handles the left tackle spot nicely. Lets say the film shows hes more than holding his own and actually is better on the left than Williams.

Lets also assume that Williams, as many Ive talked to have suggested, is best suited to play right tackle. Again, this is hypothetical, but if it turns out to be true, why not keep Omiyale on the left and send Williams back to the right side?

I understand he was a top 15 pick and was supposed to be the left tackle of the future, but if he isnt the best guy for the job, shouldnt he face the same fate that Aromoshadu and Bowman faced?

As for Sunday night, remember last week, when I told you that the Bears were catching the Packers at the right time? Coming off a big win over the Cowboys, at home, on Monday night?

Well, Im going with the same logic this week, only its working against our guys.

Theyre coming off two huge, emotional wins. Theyre working on a short week and theyre on the road. The Giants are coming off back-to-back disasters. At 1-2, they are in desperate need of a win. They have a ton of talent on both sides of the ball, but consistently have found ways to foul things up.

This game could be the key to the Giants season. The Bears are due for a bit of a let down. Im not diving off the bandwagon, just stopping for refueling.

Pick: Giants 23, Bears 20.

Tom Waddle writes a weekly column on the Bears for the Daily Chronicle. He appears from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays through Fridays on the Waddle and Silvy Show on WMVP AM-1000

UserPostedImage
Tezzy
13 years ago
Has been a very interesting year for Lovie and the rest of the coaches. A lot of things seem different from top to bottom. But maybe that's when you have three former head coaches on the coaching roster. Lovie definetely knew this was the year of years for him to try and keep his job. Curious to see how it all plays out, this story of the 2010 Bears has just begun.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Orygunfan76
13 years ago
It's definitely a make or break year for the Lovie dovie marshmallow man!
blank
Cheesey
13 years ago
"Lovie"......i STILL can't get over that name!
The only other "lovie" i ever heard of was Lovie Howell, on "Gilligan's Island".
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (5h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (8h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (9h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (12h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (12h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (12h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.