Poll Question: Which Returning IR Player Will Have the Most Impac (Poll is closed)

Total: 30

CaliforniaCheez
12 years ago
Okay, Barnett is not strong enough to shed blockers in the 3-4 scheme. He is not as good at tackling as Bishop.
blank
nerdmann
12 years ago

Okay, Barnett is not strong enough to shed blockers in the 3-4 scheme. He is not as good at tackling as Bishop.

Originally Posted by: CaliforniaCheez 

Barnett is the Darren Sharper of ILBs. If he wants to make the team, he should try out at ROLB, stfu and start hitting people.
Oh yeah, how come my man JUSTIN HARRELL is not on that list?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago

He's not the same exact size!!

Barnett is six two and two thirty six.
Bishop is six two and two thirty eight.

Two pounds is a HUGE difference!! (remember the one inch debate over a OL arms? lol)

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

One inch is a huge difference. In diameter.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago

I would like to see statistical evidence that Bishop stops the run better. How many yards is his average tackle for compared to Barnett's.

I hear a lot of people say that even though Barnett has lead the team in tackles every year (pretty lucky for a poor tackler who can't shed a block), he looks like he gives up too many yards. I would like to see that in numbers. Not feelings or anecdotal evidence.

I don't trust people's observations because of the obvious antipathy for him.

I didn't make the assertion, so I feel the burden of proof belongs with the claimant.

I don't have any investment either way. I don't want a player start over another because I "like" them, I want the best player to start.

I think they will compete in preseason and the best player wins the job. The one McCarthy thinks is best. Not the fans or media.

No different from any other position on the team.

I do think Hawk is a better choice for running the D than Barnett. But that is just an opinion, not evidence.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Greg C.
12 years ago

After the first 4 games Finley had the same amount of targets as Jennings and Driver. If they were forcing it to him so badly like everyone says they were how the heck did he catch more passes than the other guys?

Originally Posted by: Stevetarded 

I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers, but generally these stats contain a lot of garbage. For example, if the QB gets pressure and throws the ball away out of bounds, they count the nearest receiver as the "target." Thus, the WRs get a lot more of these than the TEs, who tend to work the middle of the field.

I watched the games, and I did think Rodgers was forcing it to Finley too much. My own theory is that the O-line was struggling and Rodgers had to get rid of the ball more quickly, which often meant throwing it toward Finley and hoping he could come down with it because of his size.
blank
Greg C.
12 years ago
Oh, by the way, somebody needs to change "James Jones" to "Brad Jones" in the poll.

My answer is Finley, by a longshot, with Neal second and Grant third. They were better off without the other four guys.
blank
beast
12 years ago

It always cracks me up when people say Barnett is too small for 3-4. Bishop is the exact same size. Is he too small

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

I don't think it's size nor strength... I think it's the mental difference. When a block is coming at them, Bishop attack and tries to shed the block. He does a pretty good job at it as well.

Barnett on the other hand tries to go around the block which takes more time and sometimes makes it easier to box him out. If he gets boxed out then he might try the shed and he's not as good as Bishop with it.

Bishop strength might help be better at shedding a blocker but I think has more to do his mental willingness to attack the block (instead of avoid, because you can't avoid contact in the NFL) and his technique because I don't want to think Barnett is weak guy... even if Bishop is stronger.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
12 years ago
Nice explanation, beast. To put it simply: Bishop plays bigger than his size. Barnett does not.
blank
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
I mentioned this after seeing Bishop play a few games, but for some reason, I felt the Packers defense was more tough with Bishop in there than Barnett. I don't know how one guy can make that much of a difference, but its just how I felt.
UserPostedImage
porky88
12 years ago
It is really Finley or Grant. Maybe Neal as a long shot, but I don't think they'll play him on running downs.

The eyes will probably say Finley, but Green Bay's running game is going to improve this year. The combination of Grant and Starks has a chance to be potent. I don't believe the run is any longer a necessity in winning a championship, but adding another dimension to an already explosive offense is an enticing thought.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.