wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

Back in the day, Ted Thompson had to get rid of all the Favre loyalists. There were guys on the team who would go along with Favre changing the plays and whatnot, trying to run the team himself. Because of this, and because of the Favre fiasco, there was talk that Ted Thompson was disrespecting veterans. He was not doing so, imo. What he was doing was attempting to re-establish control of the team by getting rid of guys who weren't getting with the program.
So the Packers have had to do some PR as a result. Last year they asked Tauscher to stick around with the team, even after his injury. They kept Al Harris around until the last possible moment. They even gave Harris a ring.
The thing with Nick Barnett might be a little different, as I suspect he might have been one of the Favre loyalists from back in the day. The last one hanging around. Although you might add DD into that group as well.
Fact is, imo, they can't get rid of DD for his reason. They will keep him on the team, but will give him a pitch count to prevent injury. They want to keep him healthy so he will last the season. Hopefully as a result of this, the Packers will not lose an up and coming talent who would have as much or more to offer this year, plus another 10 years down the road. But Ted Thompson has shown ability to consistently draft talented young WRs, and being that there are not alot of holes on this team, should be able to target one in the upcoming draft.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Interesting. I don't agree with Ted feeling the need to do anything based on team politics but I somehow like your post. I applaud you.

In your post you showed how Ted works both ways. He got rid of players he has issues with. He kept veterans who contributed to the team. Tauscher was injured mid season. No reason to cut him mid year. But Ted didn't feel obligated to bring him to the White House either.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

Which is why it boggles my fricken mind why it is such a personal issue to some of you when people such as Nerdmann, Dr. Death, and I make these radical, unpopular suggestions.

It makes the day go faster I guess.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

We don't take it personal. We just feel you are full of crap at times and point it out. You don't hesitate to do the same thing bucko.

Driver staying on board has little to do with "The Record"*. I think it is somewhat tainted by how long it took him and how much more of a passing game it is these days. If Driver is gone in 2012, fine. If he falls off the production table this year. Fine. I will say you were right and I was wrong. I think he is a better player than West or Girlie. They may develop into something special and they may be nothing more than a 4-5th receiver. But there will be more like them waiting to get their chance.

I think last year was an aberration due to injuries. You say it is because he is old. You also claim that people on this site want to keep DD for sentimental reasons which makes you full of it. It has been pointed out to you many times by many members why they think he belongs. You ignore their reasons and continue to tout your own ideas. You are entitled to do so. But we can still feel you are full of it and say so. I say he stays because Ted/Mike feels he is a better player and not for sentiment.
UserPostedImage
12 years ago
I'm not sure why more than one on this thread have said that Driver is playing better this preseason than he did last season. He had two drops in the last game alone. That's NOT OK. An abberation? Maybe. But we can't just pretend it didn't happen and give him a gold star for great play.

Now he's about to miss this next game for an ankle injection from his Super Bowl injury 6 months ago. That's not a great sign either. Maybe it's minor stuff. Maybe it's a lingering injury that will limit his production this year or keep him out of games. It's certainly not a good sign.

He's due about $5 mil this year including roster and workout bonuses, which is a lot for a guy who is anywhere from the #2 to #4 WR, and will be 37 years old before the Super Bowl is played.

So, there are some of the negatives for the old man. I think his positives have been covered fairly well, so I'll play devil's advocate.

Driver peaked statistically in 2006, with 92 catches for 1295 yards and 8 TDs. The next three years were all about equal to each other, but a clear step below his 2006 production. Then last year he only had 51 catches, 565 yards, and 4 TDs, with a team high 8 drops in the regular season.

Would a similar year to last year be worthy of $5 mil? I think it clearly wouldn't be, especially when we have 4 younger guys capable of similar or better production on the depth chart. What if last year wasn't due to age and related injuries, but a fluke injury or two, and he rebounds healthy this year? Then he'd be worth it, but his two drops against Indy and sitting out this next game for treatment of a 6 month old injury makes that sound unlikely, especially when he turns 37 this postseason. Most WRs are already retired by his age, even many of the great ones.

So, what's the possible upside of cutting the old man? A savings of about $4.5 mil that could be devoted to one of our younger players, and a roster spot.

We could keep Gurley, who blocked 5 punts in Training Camp. That's unheard of, and is a game changing play if he can do it once or twice in the regular season. He's also our tallest WR, at 6'4", and has the longest wingspan of any WR to come out this year, with only #6 overall pick Julio Jones coming anywhere close to matching his reach. Reports are that he's starting to put it together as a WR. If he can, they can throw him out there against teams with undersized CBs, and throw him some jump balls that he can use his height and wingspan to bring down. According to Tyler Dunne of JSO, Gurley NEVER DROPPED A PASS in college. Driver dropped TWO in the first half at Indy last week.

Now, let me clarify that I don't think Gurley > Driver. I think that Gurley + $4.5 mil might be > Driver. I think that Jennings, Driver, Nelson, Jones, Cobb might not be $4.5 mil better than Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Gurley. Our special teams would be better with Gurley kept over Driver, the team would have more cap space and money, and the only significant dropoff at WR would be at the #5 WR spot. Is a better #5 WR spot worth $4.5 mil and lesser special teams? I'm leaning towards no, if you can't tell. We'll see how Gurley does tonight.

All that said, Donald Driver is one of the best Packers in history, and I wish him nothing but luck. If the Packers decide he's worth keeping, I won't bitch.
nerdmann
12 years ago
Ha ha, I'm not gonna bitch either. This is the best type of problem to have. THANKS TT!
One more thing about Gurley is that he ran a 4.5, which is what Greg Jennings ran. He's 6'4" about 220lbs.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Greg C.
12 years ago
You mention three times that Driver dropped two passes in the Indy game. I watched the game twice and counted only one drop. It was an obvious one. Do you remember what the other drop looked like?
blank
12 years ago

You mention three times that Driver dropped two passes in the Indy game. I watched the game twice and counted only one drop. It was an obvious one. Do you remember what the other drop looked like?

Originally Posted by: Greg C. 

There was one really obvious one, as you said, and the other one was slightly behind him, but one he should have caught, if I remember correctly. But I might not.

Here's JSO's Pete Dougherty's mention of it-

Though starting receiver Donald Driver caught three passes for 38 yards, he also dropped two perfectly thrown passes, including one on second down of a three-and-out series in the second quarter.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110826/PKR01/110826170/Green-Bay-Packers-Jermichael-Finley-quickly-getting-his-game-back?odyssey=mod |mostview
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
get louder,
You are over playing the injury just a bit. It is common for Mike to be a little over protective of the vets in all the preseason especially game 4.
UserPostedImage
12 years ago

get louder,
You are over playing the injury just a bit. It is common for Mike to be a little over protective of the vets in all the preseason especially game 4.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

You might be 100% right on that. We can't know for sure.

Hey Greg C-

Just rewatched the 1st quarter. Drop #1 is at 1:30 in the first, on 1st and 10. Is that the one you missed?
Greg C.
12 years ago

You might be 100% right on that. We can't know for sure.

Hey Greg C-

Just rewatched the 1st quarter. Drop #1 is at 1:30 in the first, on 1st and 10. Is that the one you missed?

Originally Posted by: get_louder_at_lambeau 

Was that the obvious one? Wide open over the middle?
blank
mi_keys
12 years ago

Back in the day, Ted Thompson had to get rid of all the Favre loyalists. There were guys on the team who would go along with Favre changing the plays and whatnot, trying to run the team himself. Because of this, and because of the Favre fiasco, there was talk that Ted Thompson was disrespecting veterans. He was not doing so, imo. What he was doing was attempting to re-establish control of the team by getting rid of guys who weren't getting with the program.
So the Packers have had to do some PR as a result. Last year they asked Tauscher to stick around with the team, even after his injury. They kept Al Harris around until the last possible moment. They even gave Harris a ring.
The thing with Nick Barnett might be a little different, as I suspect he might have been one of the Favre loyalists from back in the day. The last one hanging around. Although you might add DD into that group as well.
Fact is, imo, they can't get rid of DD for his reason. They will keep him on the team, but will give him a pitch count to prevent injury. They want to keep him healthy so he will last the season. Hopefully as a result of this, the Packers will not lose an up and coming talent who would have as much or more to offer this year, plus another 10 years down the road. But Ted Thompson has shown ability to consistently draft talented young WRs, and being that there are not alot of holes on this team, should be able to target one in the upcoming draft.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

TT's PR was winning the Super Bowl. He doesn't need PR. I'd argue their indifference towards the politics of Super Bowl pictures and White House trips shows just how little they care about that stuff.

Interesting thought, mind you.

Born and bred a cheesehead
Fan Shout
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.