Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Kevin, Capers at least claims his defensive scheme is predicated on stopping the run and making teams one dimensional.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Let teams pass all over you = mission accomplished. :)

Sorry, I don't mean to be a prick about it, but the Packers just do NOT have a good run defense. I look for this, I watch for this and it is not present. The Packers can't tackle worth a damn. If you can't tackle, how in the world can you be labeled a good run defense?
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago

Let teams pass all over you = mission accomplished. :)

Sorry, I don't mean to be a prick about it, but the Packers just do NOT have a good run defense. I look for this, I watch for this and it is not present. The Packers can't tackle worth a damn. If you can't tackle, how in the world can you be labeled a good run defense?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

See what NSD said above. Dom has said over and over again that he's all about stopping the run and making teams one dimensional. Well, the Giants had the #32 rushing O this year (out of 32 teams). Goes to show how important rushing is to winning. They went on to win the Super Bowl this year.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

See what NSD said above. Dom has said over and over again that he's all about stopping the run and making teams one dimensional. Well, the Giants had the #32 rushing O this year (out of 32 teams). Goes to show how important rushing is to winning. They went on to win the Super Bowl this year.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

I'm six foot five.

I'm six foot five.

I'm six foot five.

I'm six foot five.

Gosh, I just stood up and I'm still not six foot five? What happened? It worked for Dom Capers when he said the same thing over and over again!!!! Pretty silly huh? BTW, every defensive coordinator says the same thing about stopping the run first. Fact is, teams know they can pass so there isn't much effort needed to stop the run. I struggle with understanding how anyone who watches the games can even try to claim the Packers have a good defense.

lol - just read the topic ... this thread is about Tom Clements being the offensive coordinator ... holy hell how this happen? I wonder if Tom Clements will be focusing more on the Packers running the ball or passing the ball?
UserPostedImage
Rios39
12 years ago

Brett Favre had one off year after a 107 rating the year before. I think the Vikings should have brought him back in 2011. :-"

On a serious note, Dom has been really strong against the run. It's been his forte his entire career if I'm not mistaken. Times have changed and it seems to me that Dom isn't changing with the times. I'm sure I'm not the only talking head that follows the Pack who feels this way.

And don't half the people on this board think it's better to fire someone a year too early than a year too late? That's why I said 2013 (check what I said up above). I'll be glad to give Dom 2012. If he shows the same stupid ideas of 2011, I'd want him gone for 2013.

In 2010 we were only average at stopping the run but against the pass it was VERY difficult. Most teams number one goal is to stop the run and then rush the passer. Doms D is very much the same D that the Pittsburgh D throws at you as well as the Ravens. If we want to dominate teams we need to upgrade our players. All those teams have 2 OLB's that can rush the passer. We don't even have a blind side rusher, which is very WEAK if you plan to stop the pass. We need to upgrade that front 7 if we want to hold down the high powered offenses.

We can do it with this scheme, and dominate at doing it but we need a good draft, bring in some solid FA additions and have a good off season program.

I think it's a little silly to blame Dom for having a trashy personnel. Especially in the front 7. We need to retool our D this year if we want to be getting into a game of war.

In 2010 we had a ton of games where our offense got shut down but our defense picked it up and allowed us to still succeed in those types of games. This year, if our offense had any sort of bad showing, we would lose, and we did.
blank
zombieslayer
12 years ago

In 2010 we were only average at stopping the run but against the pass it was VERY difficult. Most teams number one goal is to stop the run and then rush the passer. Doms D is very much the same D that the Pittsburgh D throws at you as well as the Ravens. If we want to dominate teams we need to upgrade our players. All those teams have 2 OLB's that can rush the passer. We don't even have a blind side rusher, which is very WEAK if you plan to stop the pass. We need to upgrade that front 7 if we want to hold down the high powered offenses.

We can do it with this scheme, and dominate at doing it but we need a good draft, bring in some solid FA additions and have a good off season program.

I think it's a little silly to blame Dom for having a trashy personnel. Especially in the front 7. We need to retool our D this year if we want to be getting into a game of war.

In 2010 we had a ton of games where our offense got shut down but our defense picked it up and allowed us to still succeed in those types of games. This year, if our offense had any sort of bad showing, we would lose, and we did.

Originally Posted by: Rios39 

My biggest beef with Dom was rushing 3. It almost never works and only succeeded in giving opposing QBs enough time to find open WRs. No matter how good you are at DB, someone will eventually get open if you give them enough time.

The Giants game was proof of that.

But I partly agree with you. We got CM3 and nobody else getting the job done when it comes to pressure. Didn't CM3 lead the team with only 6 sacks this season?
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Rios39
12 years ago

My biggest beef with Dom was rushing 3. It almost never works and only succeeded in giving opposing QBs enough time to find open WRs. No matter how good you are at DB, someone will eventually get open if you give them enough time.

The Giants game was proof of that.

But I partly agree with you. We got CM3 and nobody else getting the job done when it comes to pressure. Didn't CM3 lead the team with only 6 sacks this season?

Well the 49ers rushed a lot of 3 man rushes and got some pressure. It's good to switch it up now and then. But for the most part I don't like 3 man rushes unless it's like 3rd and 21
blank
zombieslayer
12 years ago

Well the 49ers rushed a lot of 3 man rushes and got some pressure. It's good to switch it up now and then. But for the most part I don't like 3 man rushes unless it's like 3rd and 21

Originally Posted by: Rios39 

You can't always blame personnel. You have to work with what you had.

🇲🇲 did wonders last year dealing with what was it, 16 players on IR?

Dom should have blitzed more. Blaming personnel is a poor excuse. Winners find ways to win. I'm seriously hoping that this year is a fluke and Dom will go back to dominance in 2012. I love being wrong in these cases (like I loved being wrong about Jordy Nelson). If I'm right though in 2012, I'd like to see another DC in 2013.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

58 years old is young? Damn I'm just a baby! :)

As has been said already, not a big surprise, but glad it was done.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

you certainly are.
congrats to Clements.

UserPostedImage
evad04
12 years ago

Dom should have blitzed more.

This is conventional wisdom, and I'm here to tell ya, it's wrong. The problem wasn't that Green Bay didn't blitz enough. I remember hearing in one of their games late in the season that they actually blitzed on a higher percentage of defensive plays this year compared to last.

The problem wasn't that the Packers occasionally rushed three (fairly common for many teams in 3rd and long situations) -- it's that they didn't get pressure when they did blitz. Green Bay certainly couldn't generate pressure with 4-man rushes, the blitzes weren't effective.

Sounds like a personnel issue to me. And it's a head scratcher. The defense had a lot of the same characters, sans Jenkins and Collins. Most draftniks are putting the Pack down for a pass rushing LB.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
porky88
12 years ago

Great analysis after one off year. Let's completely forget Capers gave us a top 10 defense the two previous years.

If Capers has another terrible year like he did this year, then yeah, Greene for DC sounds good to me. Just please refrain from saying it with such finality until we actually see if Capers can't bounce back.

Originally Posted by: Packers_Finland 

Kevin Greene is pretty far down the list of potential defensive coordinators on Green Bay's current staff. Not every big name player is a potential coordinator. He’s not much further along as a coach than Rod Woodson, for example.

Darren Perry probably is considered Capers’ successor. Joe Whitt Jr. may become a coordinator one day and Winston Moss is well-regarded around the league. Don’t forget that Mike Trgovac has already been a coordinator.

I wouldn’t be quick to get rid of Capers, but the Packers do have an all-star staff of coaches. I think they’ll keep things intact for as long as possible.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (9h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
2h / Random Babble / Novalee

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.