Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago
There are a lot of jobs that deal with sensitive HIPPA information, have access to national security issues or, in my opinion, our most precious resource. Children.

Some of us feel that letting our backgrounds be checked to make sure the wrong kind of people can't get into the Federal Emergency Operations system that deals with Nuclear emergencies is worth it.

If you are one of those people who need the secrecy, I would not be comfortable handing that access out.

One pedo creeper can damage dozens or even hundreds of children in their lifetime. I would not allow just anybody access to our children.

If they are changing rolls on a paper winder, I wouldn't care if someone had a penchant for goats or thought Timothy McVeigh was a hero. I wouldn't care what they were into when off work. As long as they kept it out of work.

But knowing what people who have access to your customers financial or health information are into off work can save you massive legal trouble if someone with a gambling addictions steals some account passwords.

Would I rather trust people? Absolutely. Can I afford too? No way in hell.

That is leaving a fox in the hen house so you don't offend the hens by spying on them.

They are not spying on you, they are trying to protect themselves and you from people disguised as you. Your cooperation helps them find bad guys faster. Your lack of cooperation gives the bad guys more camouflage to hide in. Unless you are a bad guy, then you need the protection of privacy to operate in.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
The fact that arguments like these are made by Americans and accepted without flinching by Americans that I have gotten to the point where I almost don't care if this nation just dies so we can start over again from scratch.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
I don't actually hope that, of course. I just get discouraged sometimes. [boxing]
UserPostedImage
Porforis
12 years ago

I don't actually hope that, of course. I just get discouraged sometimes. [boxing]

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

To be honest, I wouldn't mind a revolution and restructuring of things from the ground up if there were little to no violence involved. Although I suppose for such a thing to be productive, we'd probably want a lot less stupid people in the world when it comes time to form a new government.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago
Trust is a funny thing.

No one can be made to trust another person. If you have to be told, you aren't trusting. Rules of law, therefore, are both evidence of a lack of trust and an encouragement not to trust.

Trust has to be earned, some say. But is it trust that has to be earned, or is it a willingness to risk that has to be adopted if true trust is to occur? Trust is an act of faith about what the future holds. But the future, by its nature, is uncertain. Past behavior is an indicator of future behavior, but part of human nature is the possibility of change (for good or for bad).

So if one is to trust, one must be willing to accept that trust may be misplaced. One must recognize that the person trusted may fall short of trustworthiness. They may fall short because of venality, because of an inability to resist temptation, because of family worries, or a hundred other possible reasons. But whoever the person trusted is, ANYONE can fall short of trustworthiness. I'd go so far is to say that every one of us has and will fall short of trustworthiness on more than one occasion. What, after all, is a broken promise, but a failure of trustworthiness, and who among us can say they have never broken a promise.

If any of us is to extend trust to anyone, it is not because the person is 100% to be trusted. It is because we believe the person is worthy of our faith even though we know that person will at some point fall short.

God is 100% trustworthy (for those of us who believe in Him). But none of the rest of us are.

In some ways, capital-T trust in God is easier than small-t trust in a fellow human being. God being omni-everything, we know He can be Trusted. But to trust each other, we have to do so knowing we can't. We have to trust not just in the person's trustworthiness, we have to trust that the inevitable betrayal won't hurt too much.

And so trust, for each of us, because a function of how much pain (for ourselves or for others) of betrayal can be handled.

It took me several decades to learn that not only that by most people's standards I trust too much, but to learn that I was okay with the consequences. I realize that I am always going to be more gullible, more taken advantage of, more ripped off, than the average person, because I tend to start from a position of trust. Because I tend to trust people until they show otherwise. And, because I believe people can change, I tend not to weigh what "they've already done" before I met them particularly highly.

It took me awhile to realize I would be a disaster in a position like Dexter's. Because while he might trust too little, I would trust too much.

I think this may be part of the reason I scorn political and "let's pass a law" solutions so often. Laws are passed because people don't believe certain other people can be trusted to do the right thing. Politicians are in the business of doing things because other people can't be trusted to make the right choices. And this doesn't sit well with me. For me, it is better to err on the side of trusting too much than on the side of trusting too little.

And I think that's why it bugs me particularly hard when people don't trust me or my judgment (e.g. at my current job). Not because I think I"m worthy of 100% trust. I'm not. But because people seem like they wouldn't consider me worthy unless they knew ex ante worthy of 100% trust -- a standard that I can never meet.

But I can't make them trust me. I can't make anyone trust anyone.

The only level of trust I can change is the one I myself decide to extend.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
gbguy20
12 years ago

There are a lot of jobs that deal with sensitive HIPPA information, have access to national security issues or, in my opinion, our most precious resource. Children.

Some of us feel that letting our backgrounds be checked to make sure the wrong kind of people can't get into the Federal Emergency Operations system that deals with Nuclear emergencies is worth it.

If you are one of those people who need the secrecy, I would not be comfortable handing that access out.

One pedo creeper can damage dozens or even hundreds of children in their lifetime. I would not allow just anybody access to our children.

If they are changing rolls on a paper winder, I wouldn't care if someone had a penchant for goats or thought Timothy McVeigh was a hero. I wouldn't care what they were into when off work. As long as they kept it out of work.

But knowing what people who have access to your customers financial or health information are into off work can save you massive legal trouble if someone with a gambling addictions steals some account passwords.

Would I rather trust people? Absolutely. Can I afford too? No way in hell.

That is leaving a fox in the hen house so you don't offend the hens by spying on them.

They are not spying on you, they are trying to protect themselves and you from people disguised as you. Your cooperation helps them find bad guys faster. Your lack of cooperation gives the bad guys more camouflage to hide in. Unless you are a bad guy, then you need the protection of privacy to operate in.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

I fall into this category and I am absolutely against giving up my right to privacy when it comes to handing over my passwords. I don't have anything to worry about, but it's the principle of the idea. Freedom comes with some risk folks, always has.
Cheesey
12 years ago

Certainly Alan didn't mean that people should get the right to access said information.

Originally Posted by: Formo 

Formo is 100% right. I did NOT say they should have the right to passwords ETC.
What i meant is this: ANYTHING you put on a computer MIGHT be hacked, and used against you. Pictures, info, whatever. So you are accepting the risk just by putting it out there.
It's like telling a secret to a "friend". The friend may promise not to tell anyone, but that friend MIGHT just break that promise, and before you know it, it's out there for the whole world to see.
With computers, it's REALLY out there for all to see.
NO company should be able to demand access to your accounts. On the computer, or otherwise.

But anything you put out there, MAY be gained access to by somebody.

Someone hacked my old email account, and i lost all the info i had in it, and can't access it anymore. I have NO idea who did it, or why.

And as far as companies not hiring you for whatever reasons.....they can, and do discriminate. They can just make up other reasons as to why they didn't hire you.
PROVING discrimination is nearly impossible, unless you can get some HR guy to admit on tape that he didn't hire someone for discriminating reasons. And good luck with that happening.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
12 years ago

Why do companies want to only hire employees with unquestionable ethics, when many of the companies operate without any?

I would not let HR inspect my car, my wallet, the lint in my pocket or the locked box under my bed.
Asking me to give up my personal passwords and reveal my personal life is ethically questionable to me, because it's simply invasive, and offers no greater good.

And here is the real kicker folks..In an interview...without paying me, if they're already going to work me into a corner, what will happen once I work there?

You need to vet the companies/owners as thoroughly as they vet you.
Would you really want to work for a company or owner that is pretty much a version George Orwell's "Big Brother"
Trust me, any company or owner that wants to exert that much control over your life is not worth working for....you will regret it.

Be careful out there, many HR people are sneaky bastards...

Originally Posted by: vikesrule 

Speaking from the other side of the coin here.. I think it is vital for an employer that you ask prudent questions to evaluate prospective employees, but there is a line that you just don't cross.

I don't care how loaded the market is with prospective employees currently, digging into their personal life for most jobs just isn't good business. Sooner or later your going to carry a type of scarlet letter and you will find yourself drawing from a lower quality labor pool.

Yes, as an employee, you should be just as selective of an employer as they are as an employee if we are talking about a career type job.. not just a stepping stone or a ladder type position.

That said.. we few in IT, by nature of our position see things about people we wish not to see.. some people just don't get the concept of how networks, routers, and IP traffic really work. lol. If they did, they would be more cautious in their computer activity upon a domain. Mail and spam filters are even worse. lol.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Porforis
12 years ago
After thinking about this for a bit, if during the application process for a job I truly wanted this issue came up, I would simply say that I consider the request inappropriate and while I'm happy to let them look through my profile after I log myself in, my password is not something I do or will give out. Either way the request would make me a bit wary. If they're willing to exercise a little flexibility, awesome. I don't post anything on facebook that's particularly embarrassing or private, there might be the inappropriate comment here or there but if they're going to not hire me over something like that, it's not a company I want to work for anyways.
Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago

The fact that arguments like these are made by Americans and accepted without flinching by Americans that I have gotten to the point where I almost don't care if this nation just dies so we can start over again from scratch.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

I said I don't think everyone should be open to scrutiny.

Just people in positions where a bad person can do some critical damage.

I posted National Security, Financial and Medical records and access to Children as examples of areas of concern.

I don't think a job where that isn't a concern should have someone's personal life be open to scrutiny.

Because frankly, anytime you write a check, use a credit/debit cared, pay a bill or use a toll card, you leave a roadmap of your life. Anybody with clearance already knows what you are paying for. They could know how many and which kinds of movies you down load all the way down to how many times you chew gum.

You should hope the people who have access to those records were screened as thoroughly as possible.

Because I wouldn't want someone who wasn't screened handling my credit, gaining access to nuclear power plants or watching my kids.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Fan Shout
beast (1h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (1h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (17h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (18h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (19h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (21h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (22h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.