Pack93z
12 years ago

1) Although a great group of guys, this is a very abrasive and sarcastic board. It just is. You have to expect it and deal with it, or you won't like it here at all. We are always here for each other when the shit hits the fan, but we are not a nice group of people by any stretch of the imagination.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

I will disagree with the thought that this board isn't filled with a group of nice people.

I think the amount of time some of the core members have been around lead to the imagine that it is a sarcastic board overall... when in reality it is the core group that is generally sarcastic and abrasive with one another. Most of the time with a touch of humor included.. sometimes the humor may miss the mark a bit and come off as more abrasive than intended.

This is where a rapport is built and for the most part you can read another. It is when newer member join in and they get caught in some of the nuances of the core group that misunderstandings take place.

But that is not exclusive to this board.. or even this medium. That is more a product of human nature and societal workings.

Personally.. that is why I enjoyed the hazing experience in college. There was no illusions that a pledge was going to experience copious amounts of pain and anguish in becoming part of the frat. The expectations were built going in.. where as in the rest of the culture it always appears to be a game of cat and mouse while gaining acceptance.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

I will disagree with the thought that this board isn't filled with a group of nice people.

I think the amount of time some of the core members have been around lead to the imagine that it is a sarcastic board overall... when in reality it is the core group that is generally sarcastic and abrasive with one another. Most of the time with a touch of humor included.. sometimes the humor may miss the mark a bit and come off as more abrasive than intended.

This is where a rapport is build and for the most part you can read another. It is when newer member join in and they get caught in some of the nuances of the core group that misunderstandings take place.

But that is not exclusive to this board.. or even this medium. That is more a product of human nature and societal workings.

Personally.. that is why I enjoyed the hazing experience in college. There was no illusions that a pledge was going to experience copious amounts of pain and anguish in becoming part of the frat. The expectations were built going in.. where as in the rest of the culture it always appears to be a game of cat and mouse while gaining acceptance.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I have taken the twisted humor I use here to other boards and it is a crash and burn failure. It taught me to be a little more careful what I say other places. (even a broad that I have been a member of for 3 years and have a couple thousand posts on.) And reconfirmed while I am tolerated here I am really not all that funny. [aiee]
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
wpr, I think you be the funny, although, keep in mind, smells aren't everything!!
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago

These are just a few hints to help you integrate here. You're going to have to develop a slightly thicker skin if you want to get along here. Otherwise you probably won't like many of us, and you'll hate our resident peanut gallery of assholes, including dakotaT, nerdmann, and myself.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Actually, DakotaT, nerdmann, and Nonstopdrivel are still too young to be complete assholes. That's the reason the board tolerates geezers like dfosterf and me: they aspire to asshole-dom and need models to emulate. Right, Foster?

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
play2win
12 years ago

play2win, check Random Babble for the responses please.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Dude, whatever! I didn't know we had to preface every post here with: "I know I'm not Ted Thompson, but..."

I'd rather we kept this civil. I appreciate your points, I really do, and I feel like you really know what you are talking about. I could just do without the smack.
gbguy20
12 years ago

Dude, whatever! I didn't know we had to preface every post here with: "I know I'm not Ted Thompson, but..."

I'd rather we kept this civil. I appreciate your points, I really do, and I feel like you really know what you are talking about. I could just do without the smack.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

What are you getting so defensive about? You're new so I'll give you a break, but noone is smack talking you, its just friendly jabs. You know, male bonding.

edit: just saw the other thread in random babble. I'd recommend moving all responses to this post to that thread 🙂
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
so I won't be accused of derailing a thread once again I am putting my reply in this thread.

What are you getting so defensive about? You're new so I'll give you a break, but noone is smack talking you, its just friendly jabs. You know, male bonding.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

funny one of the reasons I chose this board is that is there is not as much animosity (love spell check) here as there is on other sites. If it is noticeable to newcomers we must have slide a bit as we have grown more accustomed to one another. Now that I think about it, knowing his history and where he s coming from, I probably would tolerate negative comments made by Dakota more so than someone who just signed up last week.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
12 years ago
Hi didn't know this thread existed until now. Basically what I got from this thread is that we're all assholes (seems accurate) and you're going to have to get used it because we aren't changing. But most importantly, judging by zero's posts hes finally got the multiquote button working properly! hell ya, now i need to go searching for a reason to use it.

edit: false alarm. multiquote still broken :<
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago
To be completely serious for a bit, this thread itself illustrates how different it is from most internet boards of my experience.

Most boards treat newbies one of two ways:

Way #1: Call this the "shut the eff up, newbie" approach. Don't speak unless you're spoken to. Don't speak until you know how everyone hear rolls and stay shut up until you speak like the rest of us. Learn how to conform, or we don't want you.

Way #2: Call this "say what you want but you're a newbie, and I and my guys, we like us and your job is to kiss our butts" approach. If you haven't contributed X times (X →∞), we really aren't going to pay attention. We're the cool clique. If you aren't our kind of cool, you're not worth our time.

This place does neither. Oh, sure, people here will nudge you to listen for awhile (see NSD, above), to not judge us too quick. But only while they're paying serious attention to you. People read *and* contribute to the "new members" threads. Yes, we know topic X has been treated before -- topic X gets treated on pretty much every board on the Packers, after all -- but we like talking about topic X again. Person Y might hate topic X, but in general the board has lots of people who aren't at all tired of topic X. And if topic X becomes too dominant, Kevin is real good about knowing when to split it off into a sub-forum (see,e.g Brett Favre).

And while we are all Packers fans (well, except for vikesrule, Formo, and polargrizz), we're also people who have and like to share their other interests. We don't just hang out with each other for 3 hours each fall weekend; we like to hang out together and talk about other things.

If someone hangs out here much, you realize that PH is an amazingly diverse place -- and not just because we have a couple VIkings fans and a Bear fan here. But we're not only diverse, but we actually enjoy each other's differences. Rarely do people take themselves too seriously; but almost always people take each other more than seriously enough.

It may be online, but PackersHome isn't a "virtual" community.

It's real.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Cheesey
12 years ago
Just like in "the real world", there are different personalities here.
And as long as we respect each other, to me at least, it's all good![grin1]
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

28-May / Around The NFL / bboystyle

27-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.