longtimefan
15 years ago
I saw this on the espn boards..

While it might be not a true comparison since these guys had actual game experience, one could argue that Rodgers just might get better??

The comments are from the original poster on espn..Not mine..

I am just including it because I am wondering if anyone else thinks its valid?

I say it can go either way..Rodgers could flop from here on out, or follow in their footsteps, or just end up being average..

But the stats are pretty similar..

Here is a list of some pretty prominent QBs in the NFL and what their 4th year stats were....

Aikman- 3445yds 23TD 14INT 89.5QBRating 63.8%
Moon- 2806yds 21TD 21INT 74.2QBRating 50.0%
Kelly- 3130yds 25TD 18INT 86.2QBRating 58.3%
Cunningham-3808yds 24TD 16INT 77.6 QBRating 53.8%
Montana- 3565yds 19TD 12INT 88.4QBRating 63.7%
Elway- 3485yds 19TD 13INT 79.0QBRating 55.6%
PManning- 4131yds 26TD 23INT 84.1QBRating 62.7%
Brady- 3630yds 23TD 12INT 85.9QBRating 60.2%
Marino- 4746yds 44TD 23INT 92.5QBRating 60.7%
Favre- 3882yds 33TD 14INT 90.7QBRating 62.4%

Rodgers- 3730yds 25TD 13INT 91.4QBRating 63.4%
with ONE more game to go....

Comparing Rodgers numbers against 10 HOF worthy QBs stats in their 4th year in the league. Montana was 3rd year numbers because he only played in 9 games his 4th year.

I would say that Rodgers was arguably the 3rd best in this group of HOF QBs, cant really complain. Also considering that RODGERS is the only one of these that it was their 1st year actually starting.

There wasnt one of these QBs that had better stats across the board than Rodgers. You can say Favre and Marino probably had as good or better years than Rodgers. But consider Marino had more pass attempts in his 4th year than any other year in his career, that is saying alot. And Favres 4th year could arguably be his best year stat wise in his career. If Rodgers 1st year starting is near those numbers, which they are, how can you be worried about the QB for the future?

dhazer
15 years ago
If you go strictly by numbers it could be valid but then your also talking about totally different football. It's like comparing the 60's packers vs. the 2000's Pats. I guess i really don't have an answer you could look at it in two different views. I would say it would be better to compare him against other qbs that are playing now.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
millertime
15 years ago

If you go strictly by numbers it could be valid but then your also talking about totally different football. It's like comparing the 60's packers vs. the 2000's Pats. I guess i really don't have an answer you could look at it in two different views. I would say it would be better to compare him against other qbs that are playing now.

"dhazer" wrote:

i agree, the games has changed since the 80s and 90s. rodgers numbers are average compared to modern qbs.
macbob
15 years ago
Some of those are current (Manning, Brady...oh, and Favre 🙂 ).

Rodgers exceeded my expectations this year. I think as he gets more experience under his belt he's got the potential to be a truly special quarterback.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
15 years ago

Some of those are current (Manning, Brady...oh, and Favre 🙂 ).

Rodgers exceeded my expectations this year. I think as he gets more experience under his belt he's got the potential to be a truly special quarterback.

"macbob" wrote:

Brady would be the best one to compare with but as far as Favre and Manning even back then the game was different you were allowed to play defense in the 90's and the qbs could be hit, compared to now where the Qbs have their tutu's on and noone can touch them without a flag and everything is pass interference with DBs. Like i said you could compare with Brady but i would think thats about it. But stats are stats and you can compare them any way you want it.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
macbob
15 years ago

"millertime" wrote:

i agree, the games has changed since the 80s and 90s. rodgers numbers are average compared to modern qbs.

"dhazer" wrote:

That's funny. Rodgers ranks 8th in the NFL in passing this year out of 32 starting quarterbacks. That's not average.
UserPostedImage
DGB454
15 years ago
Didn't I hear during the game that Rodgers is just the second QB in history to hit the 4000 yd mark his first year as starter?

Average????
dingus
15 years ago
He had a stellar first year, no debating that, if we had a healthy D this would be a completely different season, no doubt about it.
blank
Cheesey
15 years ago
He's LOTS better then "average" in my view.
Throwing 2 TD's for every INT for a guy's 1st season under center is pretty impressive.
JMO
UserPostedImage
DEPackfan
15 years ago
How many of those guys were starting for the 1st time in their 4th season? My guess is not many. That says a lot about Rodgers considering this is basically his rookie season.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (2h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (6h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (6h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
51m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.