play2win
10 years ago

Personally.. 2011 and 2012 were the two drafts in which we targeted needs over BPA.. could it be related that those are two of the softest drafts we have had under Ted?

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Seems so Pack93z. I think this is where Ted Thompson fails a bit as a GM. He completely ignores top talent in Free Agency. Signing your own players just because they are your own, while ignoring better talents who have proven themselves worthy of top contracts with their play on other teams puts your team in a kind of limbo. Not really getting better, but, maintaining more of a status quo. If you are continually getting bounced out of the playoffs early, how is this making your team better, keeping those same players around?

Meanwhile, he is counting on rookies he drafts to make an impact, with a DC who does not really prefer to play rookies. Wow. How is that supposed to be successful? I mean, I can understand Dom Capers' reluctance to play rookies a lot, as their bodies are simply just not developed enough as rookies to play the pro game at some positions. It seems the philosophies are not meshing here.

If Ted were more open in his use of FA, more targeted and discerning, and used the draft just for adding the best players he can find regardless of position, we might be a better team, and have more success. Fill positions of need with FA, draft to deepen your roster throughout. I wish he would do this more.

His style of player procurement has given us a roster that is yearly one of the youngest, most inexperienced in the NFL. Again, how is that system supposed to be successful?
musccy
10 years ago

He completely ignores top talent in Free Agency. Signing your own players just because they are your own, while ignoring better talents who have proven themselves worthy of top contracts with their play on other teams puts your team in a kind of limbo.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I don't necessarily have an issue with him ignoring top talent. Percy Harvin, Sydney Rice, Haynesworth, Matt Flynn, Kevin Kolb, etc. are all big names acquired through FA or trade and they certainly didn't/haven't worked out for their respective teams.

I also think Ted has proven he can be selective with his own. Woodson, Driver, Jennings, and Burt Farve are just a few examples of players he in one way or another moved on from earlier than they wanted to.

With that said, I agree with WPR that stockpiling 6th round projects isn't a stable way to go either.

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
P2W, you are a blasphemer. You should be grateful that the team has Aaron Rodgers and they are going to finish above .500 because of him. That is all you should ask for. How can you possibly demand or expect to win a playoff game? That is showing that you are not a true Packer fan.
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago

P2W, you are a blasphemer. You should be grateful that the team has Aaron Rodgers and they are going to finish above .500 because of him. That is all you should ask for. How can you possibly demand or expect to win a playoff game? That is showing that you are not a true Packer fan.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

😆 😆 😆 😆 Yeah, well…. 😆 😆 😆 😆
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

I don't necessarily have an issue with him ignoring top talent. Percy Harvin, Sydney Rice, Haynesworth, Matt Flynn, Kevin Kolb, etc. are all big names acquired through FA or trade and they certainly didn't/haven't worked out for their respective teams.

I also think Ted has proven he can be selective with his own. Woodson, Driver, Jennings, and Burt Farve are just a few examples of players he in one way or another moved on from earlier than they wanted to.

With that said, I agree with WPR that stockpiling 6th round projects isn't a stable way to go either.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

There certainly are FA who are not worth their contracts. There are also counterfeit $100 bills out there. That doesn't mean I won't take a $100 because it might be a bad one.

Uncle Teddy can do his due diligence and acquire quality FAs at a reasonable cost. He just won't do it unless he is backed into a corner and has no other options. Or he waits until everything is picked over like a going out of business sale and all the is left are remnants.
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: musccy 

I'm not saying Ted should go hog wild in FA. And, I know he has been selective, and has made some great choices with some great players. Jordy Nelson and James Jones come to mind. On the other end of the spectrum are AJ Hawk and Brad Jones, without beating the dead horse of Hawk's improved play in 2013…

I recall Eugene Robinson and Andre Rison working out well for Thompson's mentor back in the day. Woodson and Pickett worked out well for he, himself. It is WAY past time for Ted Thompson to add some top talent at some very real positions of need, through FA signings or trades. It must be done, and done well.
Laser Gunns
10 years ago
1 32 Derek Sherrod F+
Has not played any meaningful snaps, and has not even been available as a backup. He gets the + because it was injury related not pure suck (hopefully)

2 64 Randall Cobb WR A-

3 96 Alex Green RB F

4 131 Davon House DB D+
At least he has had some passes defended.

5 141 D.J. Williams TE F

6 179 Caleb Schlauderaff OL F

6 186 D.J. Smith LB C-
He did step in as a reserve a little bit, didn't look much worse than what we had.

6 197 Ricky Elmore DL F

7 218 Ryan Taylor TE D-
Never really see him making plays on STs, I think he's had about as many penalty as catches.

7 233 Lawrence Guy DT F

3 years later there is no "incomplete" grade. Sherrod is like a senior who skipped all his classes up to this point and trying to make it up in his final year.

Terrible terrible draft.

Kinda wish we'd ditched Ted and promoted Jon [puke]

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
nerdmann
10 years ago

Davon House is garbage and fans need to realize just because he suits up in 31 and has dreads ... he is NOT Al Harris. Let it go.

Derek Sherrod ... the clock is ticking. Produce in 2014 or be cut (or not extended depending on contract length)

Ryan Taylor is a C- special teams player.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

House wasn't a first round pick. What do you want from Ted, first round talent all the way through the draft? House is great as a rotational depth player. He's held up well in that capacity, imo. Taylor is too. He was taken late in the draft. He's not a first rounder.

As for Sherrod, any player can go down at any time. We saw that this year with our QB.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
10 years ago

Shields, Barclay, Zombo and van Roten were not draft picks.

My point exactly.

Shields is the only one I would venture to call a "gem". The rest are just back ups. Someone who needs to be on the bottom of the depth chart. Zombo was so good GB kept him on here even though they needed OLB help.

As for taking flyers in the later rounds of the draft. I have no problem with that. I don't want 5 or 6 flyers. 2 or 3 is more than enough.

Ted routinely provides quality depth through these late round and free agent acquisitions.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
StoicFire
10 years ago

I'll bet Kevin Dorsey beats out Boykin next year.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I will take that bet. I think the top receivers next season will be Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, and Jarrett Boykin. I'm not sure who will get significant playing time behind them, but I think they will be the top 3 because I don't see them resigning James Jones.

Just guessing though... no real bet obviously.

[aiee]
"the Quarterback can run if he wants to, but with this rocket attached to your body... who would?" -Aaron Rodgers
Fan Shout
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.