wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

My point exactly.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

no you said draft picks. which they are not.

You know all those "Ted Thompson gems," like Sam Shields, Don Barclay, Frank Zombo, Greg van Roten, etc?

This is what you use late round picks for. Get the remaining guys you don't want to have to compete for. Our staff are masters at this level of the talent pool.

we were discussing the 2011 draft. If you want to look at the 5th 6th and 7th rounds fine.

5 141 D.J. Williams
6 179 Caleb Schlauderaff
6 186 D.J. Smith
6 197 Ricky Elmore
7 218 Ryan Taylor
7 233 Lawrence Guy

Only Taylor is on the team. This is nothing for Ted or you to brag about.

House wasn't a first round pick. What do you want from Ted, first round talent all the way through the draft? House is great as a rotational depth player. He's held up well in that capacity, imo. Taylor is too. He was taken late in the draft. He's not a first rounder.

As for Sherrod, any player can go down at any time. We saw that this year with our QB.

I guess you are willing to grade on a curve. Just being on the team merits a "B" in your book. "B" means above average for the NFL These players are hardly above average. They are not even average by NFL standards. Taylor is a "C". Playing on special teams at best is a "C" player. A starter on offense or defense but not standing out is only a "C" player no matter what round they are selected. Back ups at best are "C" players if you are so kind.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago

no you said draft picks. which they are not.

we were discussing the 2011 draft. If you want to look at the 5th 6th and 7th rounds fine.

5 141 D.J. Williams
6 179 Caleb Schlauderaff
6 186 D.J. Smith
6 197 Ricky Elmore
7 218 Ryan Taylor
7 233 Lawrence Guy

Only Taylor is on the team. This is nothing for Ted or you to brag about.

I guess you are willing to grade on a curve. Just being on the team merits a "B" in your book. "B" means above average for the NFL These players are hardly above average. They are not even average by NFL standards. Taylor is a "C". Playing on special teams at best is a "C" player. A starter on offense or defense but not standing out is only a "C" player no matter what round they are selected. Back ups at best are "C" players if you are so kind.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

1 Wow, you really are dense aren't you. LOL

What I was saying was, Ted and the boys are GREAT at finding these "gem" type players who are still around at the end of the draft. Using late draft picks is a good way to seal the deal on guys over whom you don't want to compete. That way you can lock them in and not try to convince them to come to your team instead of someone else's. But yeah. Shields and those guys weren't drafted. lol. Which is why I used them as examples.

2 Yeah, so only one of those guys are on the team. That's nothing to brag about, right? Except you're missing one thing. All but one of them is still in the league. That means that they are good enough to play in the NFL. Just not good enough for OUR team.

Why penalize Ted because he's already stocked us with guys who can play? Harder to hit on a late draft pick when your team is stocked with talent, then it is when all your players suck.

3 You need to take a midol. Yeah, we got bounced from the playoffs. I understand, you're all pissing yourselves. Get over it. Our biggest problems are fixable.

I'm the first one to criticize this team and its coaches. But Ted isn't the weak link. There are shortcomings on both sides of the ball. Yet we remain competitive, because we have good players. This enables Aaron to stat whore and still be successful. It allows Capers' unit to shit itself and leave guys running uncovered, and still win.

But even though I don't think these problems with Mikes "Polish Football" philosophy and Dom's lack of work ethic are gonna get fixed, I'm not getting all pissy and trying to throw blame around. Let's all take a deep breath and look rationally at the situation.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
10 years ago
PREDICTION: We will win at least 12 games next year.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
nerdmann I am too tired to argue with you tonight. Maybe tomorrow. I will simply say these are not even average players:

5 141 D.J. Williams
6 179 Caleb Schlauderaff
6 186 D.J. Smith
6 197 Ricky Elmore
7 218 Ryan Taylor
7 233 Lawrence Guy

when you drag in your college free agents, none outside Shields is even worth talking about. This whole thread is about the 2011 draft and you drag in players not in the draft as some sort of proof.
Zombro and Shields was 2010
van Roten and Barclay 2012

Stick to 2011.

UserPostedImage
DakotaT
10 years ago

nerdmann I am too tired to argue with you tonight. Maybe tomorrow. I will simply say these are not even average players:

You're lucky I'm not busting your chops then, ya old bastard. Yeah, that draft kind of licked ass pretty bad. Realistically you should draft 1 stud player, 3 good role players, and the rest is a crap shoot.

I love it when a guy like Sam Shields succeeds. We should tag his ass and pay him like the budding superstar he is and not because it's the right thing to do, because he's earned it.
UserPostedImage
musccy
10 years ago

5 141 D.J. Williams
6 179 Caleb Schlauderaff
6 186 D.J. Smith
6 197 Ricky Elmore
7 218 Ryan Taylor
7 233 Lawrence Guy

when you drag in your college free agents, none outside Shields is even worth talking about. This whole thread is about the 2011 draft and you drag in players not in the draft as some sort of proof.
Zombro and Shields was 2010
van Roten and Barclay 2012

Stick to 2011.

Even if you didn't technically draft shields, barclay, etc. They were signed days after the draft, if I'm not mistaken so clearly they were evaluated during the process and saying they weren't part of the draft is predominantly a matter of semantics. With that said, I agree, much of the 2011draft class/process sucked for g.b. I don't buy the argument that if they made it in the nfl but not GB that makes it a success. Why draft or sign a player that doesn't fit your team/scheme?
Rockmolder
10 years ago

1. What I was saying was, Ted and the boys are GREAT at finding these "gem" type players who are still around at the end of the draft. Using late draft picks is a good way to seal the deal on guys over whom you don't want to compete. That way you can lock them in and not try to convince them to come to your team instead of someone else's. But yeah. Shields and those guys weren't drafted. lol. Which is why I used them as examples.

I agree with you on that one. The 6th and 7th rounds, in my eyes, are pretty much for locking up the UDFAs you're targetting. I don't see anything as a reach in those rounds and no position as becoming too crowded. I don't really mind if those guys make the roster, either, if it happens to be that way.

2 Yeah, so only one of those guys are on the team. That's nothing to brag about, right? Except you're missing one thing. All but one of them is still in the league. That means that they are good enough to play in the NFL. Just not good enough for OUR team.

Why penalize Ted because he's already stocked us with guys who can play? Harder to hit on a late draft pick when your team is stocked with talent, then it is when all your players suck.

And that's what I don't like. Everyone on the forum could already see at the point that that draft came around, that we were a deep team. I asume Ted saw that, as well. Of course that doesn't mean you go ahead and trade up to the first three times, but it does mean that you shouldn't keep trading down and stock up on UDFA-like guys. It pretty much leaves you with what we have now. A deep team that can take a lot of injuries and still function, but doesn't have a lot of that top tier talent.

I couldn't care less about Lawrence Guy being on the Chargers' roster. If our team's too deep already for those kind of guys, don't stock up on 6th and 7th rounders.

3 You need to take a midol. Yeah, we got bounced from the playoffs. I understand, you're all pissing yourselves. Get over it. Our biggest problems are fixable.

I'm the first one to criticize this team and its coaches. But Ted isn't the weak link. There are shortcomings on both sides of the ball. Yet we remain competitive, because we have good players. This enables Aaron to stat whore and still be successful. It allows Capers' unit to shit itself and leave guys running uncovered, and still win.

But even though I don't think these problems with Mikes "Polish Football" philosophy and Dom's lack of work ethic are gonna get fixed, I'm not getting all pissy and trying to throw blame around. Let's all take a deep breath and look rationally at the situation.

Calling someone dense and then starting with your whole statwhoring thing sounds rather hypocritical.

How you're up to date on Capers' work ethic is beyond me, as well.

If you feel like this is all Dom's fault, while we have an average D-line, with an average secondary and average linebacking group, I don't know who you'd want here to get instant results. The only playmaker right now is Clay, who's injured half the time, with Shields being near, but just not elite.

I'm not that big a fan of Capers. He always falls off after the first few years on the job, but I can't really blame him for how he's using the talent he has at his disposal right now.

nerdmann
10 years ago

I'm not that big a fan of Capers. He always falls off after the first few years on the job, but I can't really blame him for how he's using the talent he has at his disposal right now.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

Should he try Perry on the right side?
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

Even if you didn't technically draft shields, barclay, etc. They were signed days after the draft, if I'm not mistaken so clearly they were evaluated during the process and saying they weren't part of the draft is predominantly a matter of semantics. With that said, I agree, much of the 2011draft class/process sucked for g.b. I don't buy the argument that if they made it in the nfl but not GB that makes it a success. Why draft or sign a player that doesn't fit your team/scheme?

Originally Posted by: musccy 

the UDFA nerd used were from 2010 and 2012 draft process not 2011. I don't mind picking up a few of them every year. I am still waiting for Williams, Goode, Boykin, Masthay, Harris or Richardson to be included. They are as relevant to this discussion as the rest of them.

Jennings and Lattimore are the only 2 UDFA from 2011 currently on the team.
UserPostedImage
musccy
10 years ago

the UDFA nerd used were from 2010 and 2012 draft process not 2011. I don't mind picking up a few of them every year. I am still waiting for Williams, Goode, Boykin, Masthay, Harris or Richardson to be included. They are as relevant to this discussion as the rest of them.

Jennings and Lattimore are the only 2 UDFA from 2011 currently on the team.

From what I could find/recall, the following were NDFA's that the Packers initially signed, who did make some sort of contribution to the team. I'm likely forgetting a few, and I also excluded players initially signed by another team, such as Boykin, Masthay, and Francois.

2009 - EDS
2010 - Shields
2011 - Jennings, So'oto, Lattimore
2012 - Barclay, Moses, Richardson
2013 - Mulumba, Bostick, Stoneburner

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (13h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
49m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.