MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago
Common thinking is three full seasons before one can adequately grade a draft. What grade you?

1	32	Derek Sherrod	OL	
2	64	Randall Cobb	WR	
3	96	Alex Green	RB	
4	131	Davon House	DB	
5	141	D.J. Williams	TE	
6	179	Caleb Schlauderaff	OL	
6	186	D.J. Smith	LB	
6	197	Ricky Elmore	DL	
7	218	Ryan Taylor	TE	
7	233	Lawrence Guy	DT

Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
1 32 Derek Sherrod OL C- at best. it may be kinder to give him an Incomplete.
2 64 Randall Cobb WR A+
3 96 Alex Green RB F
4 131 Davon House DB C
5 141 D.J. Williams TE F
6 179 Caleb Schlauderaff OL F
6 186 D.J. Smith LB F
6 197 Ricky Elmore DL F
7 218 Ryan Taylor TE C
7 233 Lawrence Guy DT F

My thinking is if a guy can't stay on the team for three years that was a wasted pick.

Over all C at best. I really don't expect much from a 6th or 7th round pick. But I hate loading up on long shots. This proves they typically don't stick very long and are not worth trading down to accumulate extra wasted picks. use these picks to trade up for a better quality player.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago
1 32 Derek Sherrod OL Solid pick. Has all the measurables. Had a freak injury, and still hasn't had an offseason. I personally think he can play, but I'll give him an I for incomplete. Even though he did come back and play this year.

2 64 Randall Cobb WR A, Cobb can do it all.

3 96 Alex Green RB B, Green is good enough to be in the NFL, but after the knee injury, isn't good enough to be on OUR team. He's an open field guy, and our coach for some reason HATES to run screens. Still, solid third down back who got it done with a gimpy knee when called upon. We've since upgraded, and now he's a jet.

4 131 Davon House DB B, He's a little stiff in the hips, and gets beat from time to time, but he's solid depth.

5 141 D.J. Williams TE C, Ted drafted him to be a receiving threat, but he never really became that guy. If he was 2 inches taller, he'd have gone in the first three rounds. Became a STer. Another guy who's good enough to play in the league, just not on OUR team.

6 179 Caleb Schlauderaff OL B, Late round pick, good enough to play in the league, just not on our team.

6 186 D.J. Smith LB A, This kid was a player. Undersized, but a hitter. Did nothing but get it done. Unfortunately, he was phased out after shredding his knee. Good enough for the NFL, but not our team.

6 197 Ricky Elmore DL D, Elmore was worth a late round flyer. Just didn't have it in the pros.

7 218 Ryan Taylor TE B, Solid special teamer. Never became a threat in the passing game, but provides depth. Can run block to some degree.

7 233 Lawrence Guy DT A, Late round guy who can play. Just wasn't good enough to make it HERE. Sat out a year due to a concussion, iirc.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
10 years ago

Over all C at best. I really don't expect much from a 6th or 7th round pick. But I hate loading up on long shots. This proves they typically don't stick very long and are not worth trading down to accumulate extra wasted picks. use these picks to trade up for a better quality player.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

You know all those "Ted Thompson gems," like Sam Shields, Don Barclay, Frank Zombo, Greg van Roten, etc?

This is what you use late round picks for. Get the remaining guys you don't want to have to compete for. Our staff are masters at this level of the talent pool.

Sucks that Charles Johnson got away this year, but it sounds like he was damaged goods. I'll bet Kevin Dorsey beats out Boykin next year.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
Randall Cobb is the ONLY player in the draft worthy of a grade above a B.

Davon House is garbage and fans need to realize just because he suits up in 31 and has dreads ... he is NOT Al Harris. Let it go.

Derek Sherrod ... the clock is ticking. Produce in 2014 or be cut (or not extended depending on contract length)

Ryan Taylor is a C- special teams player.

10 picks, three years later, only four on the roster? And only one of them is cracking the starting lineup?

2011 Overall Grade - C+ and THAT is being generous, like Wade.
UserPostedImage
Bigbyfan
10 years ago
I believe this was the first draft for the Packers without Jon Schneider (who went to become the Seahawks GM), and it really shows how much they struggled without him.
blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

You know all those "Ted Thompson gems," like Sam Shields, Don Barclay, Frank Zombo, Greg van Roten, etc?

This is what you use late round picks for. Get the remaining guys you don't want to have to compete for. Our staff are masters at this level of the talent pool.

Sucks that Charles Johnson got away this year, but it sounds like he was damaged goods. I'll bet Kevin Dorsey beats out Boykin next year.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Shields, Barclay, Zombo and van Roten were not draft picks. Shields is the only one I would venture to call a "gem". The rest are just back ups. Someone who needs to be on the bottom of the depth chart. Zombo was so good GB kept him on here even though they needed OLB help.

As for taking flyers in the later rounds of the draft. I have no problem with that. I don't want 5 or 6 flyers. 2 or 3 is more than enough.
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago
That was a very poor draft for Green Bay. Very poor. One solid contributor in Cobb. House has been an enigma. No one else merits any response. Super unfortunate looking back. 2011 was a very poor draft for the Packers. And, I'm not so sure 2012 was any better. Perry can't get off the trainers table. Hayward was a no show with a year long hamstring in year two… One very solid contributor in Mike Daniels. Is Jerel Worthy going to do anything significant? I have my doubts. If Perry and Hayward can come back and be productive in year 3 of their deals, maybe we have something to talk about.

Ted Thompson really needs to step it up. 18 players selected in those two years. Two solid contributors to this point in Cobb and Daniels. 10 of the 18 players no longer on the team. Yikes.

Going away last year, I thought 2013 could be one of Ted's best drafts ever. Datone didn't get his opportunities to shine IMO. Many others from that draft show promise. We need another one of those, if not better.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
It's time Thompson drafts for quality, not quantity. Pure and simple. Quit playing the damn lottery and trust your scouts, trust your eyes, trust your personnel department and make the team gooder.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
10 years ago
Personally.. 2011 and 2012 were the two drafts in which we targeted needs over BPA.. could it be related that those are two of the softest drafts we have had under Ted?
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (20h) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10m / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

15m / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

25m / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

1h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

1h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

6h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

6h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

15h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

16h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

21h / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.