play2win
9 years ago

I disagree I think Kuhn wasn't a great lead blocker earlier in his career and the last couple years he's gotten better and last year he made more good blocks in the run game than I can remember ever seeing him make. I wouldn't call him a lock but I think he's easily worth what we are paying him and I think it would be a mistake to cut him until someone else on the roster actually proves they can do what he does.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I agree he is valuable. No question. Especially in year two of a very solid run game. What I am wondering is if the roster spot might prove more valuable, based on what he brings. This is a super deep team right now, with a lot of talent challenging for roster spots.
warhawk
9 years ago

Lyerla and Bradford were drafted to play TE and LB and they will have their plates very full learning to do that without having them try to learn what Kuhn knows at FB.

Do you want these guys playing the position they were drafted to play because if you think they can moonlight over at FB to protect the most important guy on the team I can tell you that aint happening.

They will be lucky to learn a fraction of what they need to know playing the positions they were brought in to play this first year.

"The train is leaving the station."
nerdmann
9 years ago
Quarless is the "Ed West" of the group.

He's gotta get back to his pre-injury blocking ways.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
play2win
9 years ago

Lyerla and Bradford were drafted to play TE and LB and they will have their plates very full learning to do that without having them try to learn what Kuhn knows at FB.

Do you want these guys playing the position they were drafted to play because if you think they can moonlight over at FB to protect the most important guy on the team I can tell you that aint happening.

They will be lucky to learn a fraction of what they need to know playing the positions they were brought in to play this first year.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

Yeah. Never mind. Good point. Kuhn is our FB for what was a very successful running game. I said earlier in January that I thought it was important to keep all of those players in house, and Kuhn was one of them.
Yerko
9 years ago
Interesting lists thus far. I feel like some of your players you have on the bubble leaves the Packers shallow in some areas though.

I am also unsure of what is considered a veteran in this context...2+ years? If so, here is who I can see being cut (early thoughts).

WR
Kevin Dorsey
Alex Gillett (did he ever hold a roster spot?)
Chris Harper
Myles White

This would leave the Packers with Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Adams, Abbrederis and Janis (who can either be the 6th slot or put on PS). The four names listed on the bubble really haven't done much in the years they have been here and I think TT's drafting of 3 other receivers were to replace them. I also believe Nelson and Cobb will get their extensions.

TE
Ryan Taylor
Jake Stonebrunner

This position is truly a crapshoot and wide open to competition. A bit harder to gauge. Both special teams players and that is about all. Packers brought in Rodgers and Lyerla who could potentially have an impact on both special teams and offense.

Offensive Line
Taylor Lane

Really the only veteran of the group I can see being cut. I think they give Sherrod this final season to do something. No way Barclay is cut as he has depth value at both tackle and guard (making Lane expendable).

Cornerback
Jarrett Bush

Extreme special teams value. This is one I am less likely to think is getting cut. Packers love him and the work he puts in and he adds veteran presence to a younger area of the team. However, if Demetri Goodson has a good preseason, do the Packers end up keeping 7 corners? Is Devon House on the bubble?

Safety
Sean Richardson
Chris Banjo

Drafted HHCD and there is the possibility of Micah Hyde getting some time at safety. That makes one of these names expendable.

Linebacker
Nate Palmer

I don't see any possible way Brad Jones can be on the bubble, unless I am missing something. That leaves the depth at ILB in a really bad place. Is he average to below average? Yes. However, the Packers didn't do much to allow such a move like that to happen. Palmer gets cut as he sits in a crowded position of good players.

Defensive Line
Letroy Guion

There is a good chance he is beat out by a rookie. However, Packers like their defensive lineman in a healthy rotation which could be the main reason he sticks.
UserPostedImage
play2win
9 years ago

Interesting lists thus far. I feel like some of your players you have on the bubble leaves the Packers shallow in some areas though.

I am also unsure of what is considered a veteran in this context...2+ years? If so, here is who I can see being cut (early thoughts).

WR
Kevin Dorsey
Alex Gillett (did he ever hold a roster spot?)
Chris Harper
Myles White

This would leave the Packers with Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Adams, Abbrederis and Janis (who can either be the 6th slot or put on PS). The four names listed on the bubble really haven't done much in the years they have been here and I think TT's drafting of 3 other receivers were to replace them. I also believe Nelson and Cobb will get their extensions.

TE
Ryan Taylor
Jake Stonebrunner

This position is truly a crapshoot and wide open to competition. A bit harder to gauge. Both special teams players and that is about all. Packers brought in Rodgers and Lyerla who could potentially have an impact on both special teams and offense.

Offensive Line
Taylor Lane

Really the only veteran of the group I can see being cut. I think they give Sherrod this final season to do something. No way Barclay is cut as he has depth value at both tackle and guard (making Lane expendable).

Cornerback
Jarrett Bush

Extreme special teams value. This is one I am less likely to think is getting cut. Packers love him and the work he puts in and he adds veteran presence to a younger area of the team. However, if Demetri Goodson has a good preseason, do the Packers end up keeping 7 corners? Is Devon House on the bubble?

Safety
Sean Richardson
Chris Banjo

Drafted HHCD and there is the possibility of Micah Hyde getting some time at safety. That makes one of these names expendable.

Linebacker
Nate Palmer

I don't see any possible way Brad Jones can be on the bubble, unless I am missing something. That leaves the depth at ILB in a really bad place. Is he average to below average? Yes. However, the Packers didn't do much to allow such a move like that to happen. Palmer gets cut as he sits in a crowded position of good players.

Defensive Line
Letroy Guion

There is a good chance he is beat out by a rookie. However, Packers like their defensive lineman in a healthy rotation which could be the main reason he sticks.

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

I was kind of thinking the 2+ Yerko. I agree with most of yours. The ones that we may differ on are Lane Taylor, Don Barclay and Brad Jones. As far as Taylor goes, I just recall them being really high on him last year, and with another offseason's training at the pro level, I was thinking he, along with Sherrod to cover the T position, may surpass Barclay. I've got nothing against Barclay at all, just think he could find himself the odd man out. As versatile as he is, he did have his struggles at RT last season.

For the life of me, I am not seeing the Brad Jones thing at ILB. He did fine inside by making a little noise, but in pass coverage he was abysmal. Truth be told, I soured on him last season, and even more so the season before. I couldn't believe Ted gave him the contract he did, and maybe that has skewed my own perspective on him. I really thought he would be better in coverage because of his speed and size. I will hold out hope that this is the year where the light goes on and he is able to put it all together.

The other aspect of his game that I didn't see as warranting the contract was what I saw was a big lack of pure instincts for the position. Again, maybe that is my own preconceived notions on him clouding my judgement. All I know, is I want those instincts of a heat seeking missile there... and maybe I'm wanting too much. Then again, a player like Sam Barrington could come in a stealsthe job with a great TC. That is kind of my hope.

I do see where Sean Richardson is going to have to battle big time, same for Chris Banjo. I like both of these players and hope for the best with them. Love Richardson's size and determination in coming back from the spinal fusion. I like Banjo's intensity. He plays bigger than his stature.

Regardless, there are going to be some veteran players who have a couple of years or more in our system who may be surprised to not make the cut, as I believe we have really ramped up the talent level this offseason.
Yerko
9 years ago

I was kind of thinking the 2+ Yerko. I agree with most of yours. The ones that we may differ on are Lane Taylor, Don Barclay and Brad Jones. As far as Taylor goes, I just recall them being really high on him last year, and with another offseason's training at the pro level, I was thinking he, along with Sherrod to cover the T position, may surpass Barclay. I've got nothing against Barclay at all, just think he could find himself the odd man out. As versatile as he is, he did have his struggles at RT last season.

For the life of me, I am not seeing the Brad Jones thing at ILB. He did fine inside by making a little noise, but in pass coverage he was abysmal. Truth be told, I soured on him last season, and even more so the season before. I couldn't believe Ted gave him the contract he did, and maybe that has skewed my own perspective on him. I really thought he would be better in coverage because of his speed and size. I will hold out hope that this is the year where the light goes on and he is able to put it all together.

The other aspect of his game that I didn't see as warranting the contract was what I saw was a big lack of pure instincts for the position. Again, maybe that is my own preconceived notions on him clouding my judgement. All I know, is I want those instincts of a heat seeking missile there... and maybe I'm wanting too much. Then again, a player like Sam Barrington could come in a stealsthe job with a great TC. That is kind of my hope.

I do see where Sean Richardson is going to have to battle big time, same for Chris Banjo. I like both of these players and hope for the best with them. Love Richardson's size and determination in coming back from the spinal fusion. I like Banjo's intensity. He plays bigger than his stature.

Regardless, there are going to be some veteran players who have a couple of years or more in our system who may be surprised to not make the cut, as I believe we have really ramped up the talent level this offseason.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I agree with your sentiments towards Brad Jones play and his contract extension. I would just be nervous that cutting him would leave the depth of that position empty. If Lattimore is able to pass him on the depth chart and Bradford is moved inside and shows he's a capable back-up...by all means, cut Jones. Good riddance!
UserPostedImage
play2win
9 years ago
I think there are a number of players with unique physical tools, proven ability and attributes at their respective positions that were recently added via draft and UDFA who will definitely push some veteran players off of this 53 man roster:

Adrian Hubbard

Colt Lyerla

Demetri Goodson

Jeff Janis

Jared Abbrederis

5 players who will definitely not last should we attempt to stash them on our PS, players with enormous upside. As a result, I can see (at least) 5 players from last season's roster not making this 2014 Packers team, especially when we consider all of the new draftees who are usually assured roster positions.

Needless to say, there will be enormous competition for jobs. Maybe some of the best competition we've seen in years.

Yerko, your list of 12 players on the bubble is pretty good. It will be very interesting to see how this will shake out. With the 5 I've listed as making this team, add Ha Ha, Adams, Thorton, Richards, Bradford, and Linsley, plus the FA signing of Julius Peppers, that alone is 12 new faces. What a trade out!

I also agree Guilon is going to have a real fight to make this roster. Injuries always seem to change the landscape here, but, hopefully, we can avoid more of that this year. Thankfully, I believe we may be deeper in talent across the board than we ever have been going into TC.
buckeyepackfan
9 years ago

I think there are a number of players with unique physical tools, proven ability and attributes at their respective positions that were recently added via draft and UDFA who will definitely push some veteran players off of this 53 man roster:

Adrian Hubbard

Colt Lyerla

Demetri Goodson

Jeff Janis

Jared Abbrederis

5 players who will definitely not last should we attempt to stash them on our PS, players with enormous upside. As a result, I can see (at least) 5 players from last season's roster not making this 2014 Packers team, especially when we consider all of the new draftees who are usually assured roster positions.

Needless to say, there will be enormous competition for jobs. Maybe some of the best competition we've seen in years.

Yerko, your list of 12 players on the bubble is pretty good. It will be very interesting to see how this will shake out. With the 5 I've listed as making this team, add Ha Ha, Adams, Thorton, Richards, Bradford, and Linsley, plus the FA signing of Julius Peppers, that alone is 12 new faces. What a trade out!

I also agree Guilon is going to have a real fight to make this roster. Injuries always seem to change the landscape here, but, hopefully, we can avoid more of that this year. Thankfully, I believe we may be deeper in talent across the board than we ever have been going into TC.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Don't overvalue The players The Packers end up signing to their PS, especially at the beginning of the year.

I'll use wr as an example:

There were 40 WR's drafted in 2014.
There have been another 63 UDFA wr's signed.

The # of WR's on every team "right now", runs between 8 and 12, teams are not going to be looking to sign wr's The Packers put on their PS, they will be signing the guys that have went through their camp, learning their system, to keep them around.

The same can be said for just about every position, the numbers will differ because teams are more likely to carry 4-6 wr's as compared to 2-3 qb's on their final 53.

Now as the year goes by and maybe a team has a rash of injuries to one position, they may try and sign a player away from The Packers, but remember, Ted always has the option to keep that guy by signing him to the 53man roster, or offering him more than PS minimum to stay.

I believe most teams are looking for veteran cuts at the end of TC's to fill any holes they may have.

The Practice squad guys are pretty safe at the beginning of the year.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
play2win
9 years ago

Don't overvalue The players The Packers end up signing to their PS, especially at the beginning of the year.

I'll use wr as an example:

There were 40 WR's drafted in 2014.
There have been another 63 UDFA wr's signed.

The # of WR's on every team "right now", runs between 8 and 12, teams are not going to be looking to sign wr's The Packers put on their PS, they will be signing the guys that have went through their camp, learning their system, to keep them around.

The same can be said for just about every position, the numbers will differ because teams are more likely to carry 4-6 wr's as compared to 2-3 qb's on their final 53.

Now as the year goes by and maybe a team has a rash of injuries to one position, they may try and sign a player away from The Packers, but remember, Ted always has the option to keep that guy by signing him to the 53man roster, or offering him more than PS minimum to stay.

I believe most teams are looking for veteran cuts at the end of TC's to fill any holes they may have.

The Practice squad guys are pretty safe at the beginning of the year.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Oh, sure. I totally get what you mean...

Sep. 1, 2013 5 Packers players cut Saturday signed by other teams

A year ago, the Green Bay Packers had the pick of the litter when it came to establishing an eight-man practice squad after none of their roster cuts were claimed by other NFL teams.

This year, no such luck.

After handing out 22 pink slips during Saturday’s NFL-mandated roster reduction to 53 players, the Packers watched five of those recently released players land elsewhere through the league’s waiver wire.

Three were veterans — outside linebacker Dezman Moses (Kansas City), running back Alex Green (New York Jets) and tight end D.J. Williams (Jacksonville) — but two others — rookie center Patrick Lewis (Cleveland) and second-year linebacker Terrell Manning (San Diego) — would’ve been practice-squad eligible had they cleared.

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130901/PKR01/309010350/5-Packers-players-cut-Saturday-signed-by-other-teams

😆 😆 😆
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
21m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.