uffda udfa
9 years ago

I really want Bulaga back. Looking around at other tackles I think he is easily worth $7M per year. Sure it would be nice to get him for less but I think it will take that to sign him.

Does anyone want to go back to Barclay starting at RT?

Originally Posted by: greengold 

Who says it has to be Barclay? It might be Tretter...and if the choice is Barclay at 2 million and Bulaga at 7, I'm sorry...I'll roll with Don Barclay.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

yooperfan
9 years ago

I really want Bulaga back. Looking around at other tackles I think he is easily worth $7M per year. Sure it would be nice to get him for less but I think it will take that to sign him.

Does anyone want to go back to Barclay starting at RT?

I want Bulaga back as well, for continuity sake.
I think the Packers would be much better with that line together for as long as they can keep those guys together.
However, I don't want to keep Bulaga at 7 mil considering his injury history.

Zero2Cool
9 years ago
ProFootballFocus.com has Bryan Bulaga rated as the 16th best tackle in the league.

Considering the highest per year any right tackle is making is $7 million, I will have to say Bulaga should fall under that, not above.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/right-tackle/ 

I'd like to see a four year deal for him for around $20 - $25 million total with bonuses for total games played.

UserPostedImage
greengold
9 years ago

ProFootballFocus.com has Bryan Bulaga rated as the 16th best tackle in the league.

Considering the highest per year any right tackle is making is $7 million, I will have to say Bulaga should fall under that, not above.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/right-tackle/ 

I'd like to see a four year deal for him for around $20 - $25 million total with bonuses for total games played.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Well you went from 16th best tackle to just RTs in your comparison. Coincidentally 16th highest paid tackle still lands you at $7M per.

I would love to see it less than that too for flexibility's sake. I'm just not holding my breath based on the going rate.

beast
9 years ago

Well you went from 16th best tackle to just RTs in your comparison. Coincidentally 16th highest paid tackle still lands you at $7M per.

I would love to see it less than that too for flexibility's sake. I'm just not holding my breath based on the going rate.

Great point... that's 16th best tackle (including LTs). I believe I've also read Bulaga ended up at the #2 RT in pass protection grade, which protection Rodgers is kind of most important. If Bulaga stays healthy (which is a big if) then he very well could be top RT money.

Problem has been Bulaga and Cobb were the best UFA at their positions that didn't get hit with the franchise tag, and the top guys at a position to hit FA normally get overpaid.

Cobb got top tied at top 9 WR money with his 10 million per season (and two guys above him could be getting cut/released soon).

If Bulaga got $7 million per season it would tie him at #1 RT and #16 OT. Bulaga could be worth the money if you can half of it to game day roster bonuses... or him starting at least 8 or 9 games which he has done every season other than 2013.

UserPostedImage
Laser Gunns
9 years ago
Bulaga might want to go somewhere where he can play LT and get that LT money.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
coltonja
9 years ago

If BB is really attracting 7 million per offers, he ain't coming back here. This is Scott Wells all over. We like BB but we don't love him...some team loves Bulaga and he's a goner.

I thought 4 was fair for someone with his history but we're hearing 7? Big pass. No way you pay him anywhere near 7. I believe Ted Thompson is way too smart to cave on Bulaga with other options available. This situation has very few parallels to the Cobb situation.

Buh bye, Bryan... sit on IR for some other team.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I want to pose what is probably a very naive question- why is the 3 mil that big a difference?

I understand making a blanket statement of not overspending or paying too much based off of perceived value are heavy factors. What I don't understand is why is it a big deal for the Packers, who seem to always come out with a ton of cap space in the offseason and have virtually no big names to sign next year in this context (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2016/green-bay-packers/), to just pay him the few extra mil a year? What I am alluding to is- If we have that much cap space free each offseason are we also always a little short of the total cap each year after all signings are finalized? I know there is dead money, bonuses, extraneous variables added to that number, too.

Hope that question makes sense. I've never really understood it even in following the Pack with you knuckleheads for the better part of a decade. Wow, I'm getting old and I'm only about to turn 24.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to pack93z for the sig!!!
lolleren
9 years ago
I would rather pay 1m more than BB is worth, that overpaying for Cobb, because I think the drop off is far bigger and the FA market for RT is almost nonexisting.
His injury history scares me, but getting him signed to a 3-4 year deal at 5-7m a year is a no brainer to me.
blank
steveishere
9 years ago

I want to pose what is probably a very naive question- why is the 3 mil that big a difference?

I understand making a blanket statement of not overspending or paying too much based off of perceived value are heavy factors. What I don't understand is why is it a big deal for the Packers, who seem to always come out with a ton of cap space in the offseason and have virtually no big names to sign next year in this context (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2016/green-bay-packers/), to just pay him the few extra mil a year? What I am alluding to is- If we have that much cap space free each offseason are we also always a little short of the total cap each year after all signings are finalized? I know there is dead money, bonuses, extraneous variables added to that number, too.

Hope that question makes sense. I've never really understood it even in following the Pack with you knuckleheads for the better part of a decade. Wow, I'm getting old and I'm only about to turn 24.

Originally Posted by: coltonja 

Any left over cap space you get to roll over into the next season so if you have some left over it's not like it goes to waste. You want to leave some wiggle room during the season as far as $$ in case of injuries and such. That being said it's not really a big deal to over pay a few players as long as those players are playing well and not getting hurt. The hard part is matching paying a players pay with their impact on your team. If you have a decent back up in place for a guy then you probably don't need to overpay any if you have nothing decent in place then your team is still probably better spending the extra money than it is letting them walk.

That's why I'm good with paying Bulaga top RT money. Don Barclay absolutely sucks as a starting RT and there are no other FA worth anything besides Bulaga at RT. The only unknowns here are if Tretter is somehow a good RT and Bulagas potential to get hurt. If you look at the league as a whole at OT it's one of the thinnest position in the whole league meaning there are really not very many good Tackles in the NFL. To me that makes it worth the risk even with the injury history. We likely aren't going to have anyone close to as good as Bulaga as our RT for at least a couple more years if we let him walk.
TheKanataThrilla
9 years ago
I can't see us running with Barclay, Tretter and/or an unknown draft pick at RT. To me that is a larger risk than not signing Cobb.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (16h) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (16h) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (17h) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (17h) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (17h) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.