6 DPI calls for 129,
ZERO fumbles
a 2.7 drop rate only bested by a handful of WRs,
7th in YAC,
with only 2 penalties in 3 years for 10 yards,
repeat 2 penalties in 3 years,
and a blocking fool and
one who TWICE took less to stay in GB

and what Steve said [“that little push off he gets away with all the time, working his way through traffic, beating jams”]

and what Nerd said [Getting his feet down in bounds. Going up for the ball, sacrificing his body over the middle, catching with his hands. Meeting the ball at it's high point. Knowing the whole route tree. Intangible communication with Aaron”]

and what Tundra said [What about that subtle little head fake Jordy does?]

and to add to Nerd, Aaron Rodgers throws those freakin’ balls out of bounds 25-30 yards downfield on purpose and Jordy is laying out and catchin’ em. UNPRECEDENTED!!!

Did ya see him race down on Lacy’s 56 yrd screen pass TD against Bears to block?

Plus and absolute stud leader in the room and all around great guy, a man!

A #2 WR? LOL, damn, Is a #1 WR some fictional unattainable part of some wet-dreamed wayward NFL perfection fantasy fu(k. LOL Damn!

Jordy might be a #2 if his ACL is torn and Jerry Rice in his prime is on the team.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

Jordy doesn't think of himself as a 1. We apparently offered Greg Jennings MORE money than we offered Jordy BEFORE Jordy signed his deal later down the road. Nobody thought of Greg Jennings as a 1. Jordy is finely tuned to work within this offense...heck, he might be a better FIT than a true #1 but he's not a #1 WR just because you get excited about 60 yard bombs on your TV screen.

Heckuva player...will be missed. Not paid anywhere near what a true 1 would be paid. I think the foolishness ends with that factual data. I can just hear the spin...he gave a hometown discount...maybe, but not the difference between what he took and what a true 1 would usually get.

EDIT: I would add that Jordy Nelson owes a debt of gratitude to Jarrett Bush. If the Packers had lost that SB to Pittsburgh, Jordy Nelson would be one of the biggest goats, if not the biggest, in Wisconsin sports history. He had some unbelievably bad drops in that game...3 of them, and then missed a TD which wasn't considered a drop. Yes, he still put up big numbers but he absolutely screwed the pooch on a couple of balls that could've cost us the Lombardi. In the biggest game he wasn't big time for us.

Nobody has been with Aaron longer than Jordy has...there on the first day Rodgers was starting QB through his injury yesterday. All those years together are impossible to replicate with anyone else. Of course, Jordy and Aaron have a special connection they've been working together for 7 years unlike the rest of the guys we have who have barely been here. Not many QB's and WR's are together for 7 seasons. Any QB and WR working together that long are going to be able to do the nuances Jordy and Aaron do. Jordy isn't special because he's Jordy Nelson...he's special because he's spent 7 years learning Aaron Rodgers as Aaron has learned him in return. A beautiful reciprocal relationship but not because Jordy is a #1 WR.

I think this quote from Troy Polamalu after losing the SB sums up Jordy and our receiving corps at the time:

Steelers strong safety Troy Polamalu was asked what made Nelson so dangerous on this particular day.

"I don't think we worried about any of their receivers on an individual basis," he said earnestly, pausing. "It helps when you have a really good quarterback."

Translation...there was no #1 guy to look out for as none of them were #1 guys... Rodgers just makes guys look better. I'm not going to worry too much. As I said from the get go...this is exciting...chance for a new star to be born in Green Bay and we do have the league MVP.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Barfarn
8 years ago

We lost a true #1 WR:

1500 Yards,
13 TDs,
6 DPI calls for 129,
ZERO fumbles
a 2.7 drop rate only bested by a handful of WRs,
7th in YAC,
with only 2 penalties in 3 years for 10 yards,
repeat 2 penalties in 3 years,
and a blocking fool and
one who TWICE took less to stay in GB

and what Steve said [“that little push off he gets away with all the time, working his way through traffic, beating jams”]

and what Nerd said [Getting his feet down in bounds. Going up for the ball, sacrificing his body over the middle, catching with his hands. Meeting the ball at it's high point. Knowing the whole route tree. Intangible communication with Aaron”]

and what Tundra said [What about that subtle little head fake Jordy does?]

and to add to Nerd, Aaron Rodgers throws those freakin’ balls out of bounds 25-30 yards downfield on purpose and Jordy is laying out and catchin’ em. UNPRECEDENTED!!!

Did ya see him race down on Lacy’s 56 yrd screen pass TD against Bears to block?

Plus and absolute stud leader in the room and all around great guy, a man!

A #2 WR? LOL, damn, Is a #1 WR some fictional unattainable part of some wet-dreamed wayward NFL perfection fantasy fu(k. LOL Damn!

Jordy might be a #2 if his ACL is torn and Jerry Rice in his prime is on the team.

And what all_about_da_packers said [Sorry i forgot your post ]!

And now Jordy has said he's gonna help the yougins. This guy wont take a snap and he'll get the 2015 team an extra 800 yards and 5 TDs and eliminate 6 INTs and make guys better that'll have a shot at takin' his job next year. Now THAT is a #1 receiver.

uffda udfa
8 years ago

And what all_about_da_packers said [Sorry i forgot your post ]!

And now Jordy has said he's gonna help the yougins. This guy wont take a snap and he'll get the 2015 team an extra 800 yards and 5 TDs and eliminate 6 INTs and make guys better that'll have a shot at takin' his job next year. Now THAT is a #1 receiver.

Being a great guy and leader and being a #1 WR has no correlation. I'm thrilled and wouldn't expect any less of him.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

earthquake
8 years ago
So how many #1 WRs are there if Jordy Nelson isn't one of them? Two or three in the entire NFL? Is this one of those retarded comparing to perfection rather than reality things? Might as well say he's not a #0 WR, would make as much sense.
blank
uffda udfa
8 years ago

So how many #1 WRs are there if Jordy Nelson isn't one of them? Two or three in the entire NFL? Is this one of those retarded comparing to perfection rather than reality things? Might as well say he's not a #0 WR, would make as much sense.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

Of course, there's subjectivity involved in this. I asked a question to this stance that Jordy is a #1. RC18 had similar numbers from the slot. Is he a #1 due to his stats? I also spoke to Larry Centers catching 100 balls as RB....he wasn't a #1 WR. Jordy is not a guy the defense coordinator has nightmares over. Is he constantly doubled or even triple covered because he's such a threat? We know there are WR's who are even when they have talent opposite them. Jordy is not one of those guys. He's a function of 7 years with Rodgers. Disputing that is just blindness to me.

UserPostedImage

earthquake
8 years ago
You'll have to define what you actually mean by #1 WR, because it's clear you think it's something different than nearly any other reasonable person does. Typically, a team's #1 WR is the WR that gets the most production in a given year. Jordy Nelson is most definitely that. That's a simplistic view of it though, because some teams do not have a #1 WR that would be even the #2 or #3 on other teams. The Packers do not fall into that category, Jordy Nelson would be a starter, and would produce on many teams in the NFL.

Randal Cobb is borderline, he would probably start on a lot of teams in the NFL but he might start as the #2 rather than the #1.

Now, if you want to say Jordy Nelson is not an elite WR, that's something that I would say you could at least make a case for. Even then you would have to define what you mean by elite (top 5 currently, all time, etc). But not a #1 WR? That's simpy ridiculous. Again, if Jordy Nelson is not a #1 WR, how many are there in the NFL and who are they?
blank
Smokey
8 years ago
😢 😢 😢

Crying will not heal Jordy Nelson and bring him back this season. We must look to the next Starter at WR for the Packers. Montgomery seems to that man. Let's give him our full support and quit wining over something over which we have no control.

[cheers] [cheers] [cheers]
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
8 years ago

You'll have to define what you actually mean by #1 WR, because it's clear you think it's something different than nearly any other reasonable person does. Typically, a team's #1 WR is the WR that gets the most production in a given year. Jordy Nelson is most definitely that. That's a simplistic view of it though, because some teams do not have a #1 WR that would be even the #2 or #3 on other teams. The Packers do not fall into that category, Jordy Nelson would be a starter, and would produce on many teams in the NFL.

Randal Cobb is borderline, he would probably start on a lot of teams in the NFL but he might start as the #2 rather than the #1.

Now, if you want to say Jordy Nelson is not an elite WR, that's something that I would say you could at least make a case for. Even then you would have to define what you mean by elite (top 5 currently, all time, etc). But not a #1 WR? That's simpy ridiculous. Again, if Jordy Nelson is not a #1 WR, how many are there in the NFL and who are they?

I've given you my opinion on what constitutes a #1 WR. Davante is now our nominal #1 WR. A guy who gets the most stats for a particular team is nominally the #1 WR, but is he a true #1 WR? You ignored my argument, completely, for why I don't think he's a 1 and then came back next post and ask me to explain my rationale. Again, is any defensive coordinator up at night concerned about what Jordy Nelson is going to do to his defense the same way he would over Dez Bryant, Calvin Johnson, Odell Beckham, or guys like Randy Moss...or our own Sterling Sharpe. The guy. Jordy is not THE GUY... heck, it is and was a major debate over who you'd want to keep him or Cobb if you could only choose one. The issue wasn't that they were both 1's...the issue that caused the debate is neither of them were.

UserPostedImage

earthquake
8 years ago

I've given you my opinion on what constitutes a #1 WR. Davante is now our nominal #1 WR. A guy who gets the most stats for a particular team is nominally the #1 WR, but is he a true #1 WR? You ignored my argument, completely, for why I don't think he's a 1 and then came back next post and ask me to explain my rationale. Again, is any defensive coordinator up at night concerned about what Jordy Nelson is going to do to his defense the same way he would over Dez Bryant, Calvin Johnson, Odell Beckham, or guys like Randy Moss...or our own Sterling Sharpe. The guy. Jordy is not THE GUY... heck, it is and was a major debate over who you'd want to keep him or Cobb if you could only choose one. The issue wasn't that they were both 1's...the issue that caused the debate is neither of them were.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I ignored your "argument" because it is preposterous, none of your points can be either proved or disproved in an objective manner. Your reasoning is subjective nonsense built on nothing but conjecture. The level to which DC's game plan for Jordy Nelson is impossible to know and certainly not something you can gleam by watching the game on TV.

Anyway, it's clear that you mean elite WR when you say #1 WR, so I guess we'll simply have to disagree with how we use these terms.

The argument with Nelson VS Cobb was do you keep a #1 WR in his prime or do you go for a younger player who probably hasn't hit his ceiling yet, with the potential to be your #1 WR for a longer period of time. Cobb is 25 years old and could yet develop into a better WR/have a better career than Nelson. He'll get his shot to establish himself as a #1 this year, it will be interesting to see what he does with that opportunity.
blank
uffda udfa
8 years ago

I ignored your "argument" because it is preposterous, none of your points can be either proved or disproved in an objective manner. Your reasoning is subjective nonsense built on nothing but conjecture. The level to which DC's game plan for Jordy Nelson is impossible to know and certainly not something you can gleam by watching the game on TV.

Anyway, it's clear that you mean elite WR when you say #1 WR, so I guess we'll simply have to disagree with how we use these terms.

The argument with Nelson VS Cobb was do you keep a #1 WR in his prime or do you go for a younger player who probably hasn't hit his ceiling yet, with the potential to be your #1 WR for a longer period of time. Cobb is 25 years old and could yet develop into a better WR/have a better career than Nelson. He'll get his shot to establish himself as a #1 this year, it will be interesting to see what he does with that opportunity.

Not preposterous...you just don't like it because it nullifies the idea Jordy is a 1. He's our 1...no argument...or was.

If Randall puts up same kind of numbers this year as last and no one else comes close is RC18 then a #1 WR or OUR #1 WR? There is a difference and it isn't semantics. You know exactly what the difference is.

I've also typed on this forum that Jordy and his agent don't even think he's a true #1 WR. If they did he wouldn't be paid what Randall is a year later as a slot guy. Also, the Packers org wouldn't have offered Greg Jennings more than what Jordy got when Greg Jennings wasn't even a true #1 WR. Jordy and Greg Jennings...compare them at their best here. Much difference? How'd ol' Greg do in Minnesota? Did you find out that he wasn't really a #1 WR rather that he was just OUR #1 WR. It's pretty simple. I don't know why you're arguing...I like Jordy, a lot. He's just not this incredibly elite WR that you seem to think he is even though you somewhat admit he isn't elite but only by a hair. Put Jordy in Minnesota...he'll have the Greg Jennings outcome where Dez Bryant would not.
UserPostedImage

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11m) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13m) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (3h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (4h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.