Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
8 years ago
[cheers] Wade !

I agree with the need for speed, yet IMO the greatest need is for a greasy fast deep threat WR. Speed, 6'2" or better, large soft hands, etc.

Who do you see that might meet this WR inventory ? A deep threat WR that can regularly separate from CB's.

Your extensive knowledge honors all !

[cheers] [cheers] [cheers]

UserPostedImage
Yerko
8 years ago

Yerko!

Those posts were a real nice summary with a lot of original thought and observation. Thanks for taking the time [twice] to share!

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

Thank you. I have a few more positions/players but I have been super busy at work..got side tracked. I dig everyone else's input as well!
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
8 years ago
Sir Wade,

You have clarified your position clearly. I agree that the Packer defense has great problems, yet we disagree on the greatest needs.

IMO, The Packers need a deep threat WR above all else.

Next, address the dismal CB's that could not cover a tree ! The front 7 can be addressed in later draft rounds.

Speed, Speed, Speed ! Is what we need !

UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
8 years ago

[cheers] Wade !

I agree with the need for speed, yet IMO the greatest need is for a greasy fast deep threat WR. Speed, 6'2" or better, large soft hands, etc.

Who do you see that might meet this WR inventory ? A deep threat WR that can regularly separate from CB's.

Your extensive knowledge honors all !

[cheers] [cheers] [cheers]

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Hehe...thanks.

At WR, I also want speed:
Best: Corey Coleman, Baylor. First round talent. Only 5'11", but 40.5 vertical. Worth #27, but I'd rather trade out than draft WR round one....lots of WR in this draft, albeit not with this talent.

2nd round for most, I put him mid- or late-third : Will Fuller, Notre Dame. Ran 4.32 at combine. Only 6'0". I'm always skeptical of Golden Domers because of their hype machine and the way sportscasters can't get past it. Very good separation both at line and downfield. Poor blocker. Below average hands. He probably can get past just about anyone at least once a game, but will he catch it?

late 2nd, but I put him in 3rd: Josh Doctson,Texas Christian. 6'2". 4.5 in 40.

3rd: Sterling Shephard. Oklahoma. Only 5'10", but 41" vertical. 4.48 in 40. 21 reps in bench. I'd pencil him as #3 on day one, and he'll eventually push Cobb back into the slot full-time where he belongs. I love this guy. Looks as smooth as John Jefferson looked at his peak, pre-Packer days.

4th: Tajae Sharpe. 4.55 40. 6'2. Strength concerns (11 reps in bench). Good footwork, quick feet at line. I expected faster 40 time. Great route runner.

late 4th: Charone Peake,Clemson, 6'2", 4.45 in 40. Small hands pushes him down. I'd wait until 5th or beyond.Talent has been compared to Javon Walker, though I have no idea if his Wonderlic is that low.

late 5th: DeMarcus Robinson. Great off the line. 2nd round talent, but major character concerns. I'd chance a later round pick on him and make him live on Edgar Bennett's couch.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
8 years ago
Oh. Just heard about this guy (PFT). Know nothing about him, but I want to.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/05/wendall-williams-runs-4-19-second-40-at-regional-combine/ 

I don't even know where the University of the Cumberlands is. Anyone?
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
nerdmann
8 years ago

Oh. Just heard about this guy (PFT). Know nothing about him, but I want to.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/05/wendall-williams-runs-4-19-second-40-at-regional-combine/ 

I don't even know where the University of the Cumberlands is. Anyone?

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Sounds like this year's Charles Johnson/Jeff Janis type guy.

I think this might be the guy the Packers were talking to at the combine. Was gonna try to break that all time 40 record. It's in McGinn's podcast after the combine.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Smokey
  • Smokey
8 years ago
As the last two post referenced this player, I thought I'd take the time to profile this fellow.

Wendall Williams /WR / The University of the Cumberlands
5'10" / 170 lbs
45.0" vertical jump
4.19 sec. 40 yd dash (VERY FAST) !

I'd like to know more about this fellow, because if the Packers don"t get him, then another team most certainly will.

[cheers] [cheers]

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago
Here's McGinn's podcast  on the combine.

This is the guy  the Packers were reportedly talking to:

Starts about 28 minutes in. KOLBY LISTENBEE

OVERVIEW
After two seasons of providing minimal production, Listenbee received his chance to shine in 2014, earning honorable mention All-Big 12 accolades with 41 catches for 783 yards and four scores. He again made big plays throughout his senior campaign, repeating as an honorable mention nominee even though he missed two games due to injury. Listenbee led the team with a 19.9 yards-per-catch average (30-597, five touchdowns) in 2015, which isn't surprising given his success as a sprinter; he was a four-time All-American for TCU for his work in the 100-meter dash (10.03 wind-aided best), as well as the 4x100 and 4x400 relays.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Able to win deep against man coverage. Averaged 19 yards per catch and 16 yards at the point of the catch in 2015. Natural hands. Doesn't typically have to fight the ball and shows very good concentration to eyeball throws into his hands. Adequate ball tracking and makes late adjustments on deep throws. Good hand fighter to free himself to be catch­-ready. Has second gear to run under throws. Adjusts well to low throws and can go dig them out.

WEAKNESSES Gangly with a frame that is too thin at this time. Takes an excessive amount of time to gear down into his breaks and is slow to turn and find the ball. Long-strider. Shows meager effort as blocker on wide receiver screens and in the running game. Saw targets and deep ball production fall off this season.

BOTTOM LINE Intriguing draft prospect with good height, hands and ball skills and the second gear to threaten defenses deep. Listenbee won't help much as a run blocker and he's not sudden enough to be a consistent worker from the slot, but winning deep can produce touchdowns which will get him into a camp.

rotoworld: 

The 6-foot-1, 183-pound speedster was predictably on-point in the 40-yard dash on Saturday with his 4.35-second time (though that was actually bested by Notre Dame WR Will Fuller, who ran the event in 4.32 seconds), but he indicated that NFL teams have asked him less about his speed (which is already a given) and more about his toughness and ability to play the position of wideout. Said Listenbee, "They thought I wasn't tough because I was a track guy. But I proved this year that I was injured — I got hurt the third game of the season — and I played basically 16 weeks off a cortisone shot, you know what I'm saying? I couldn't even walk the whole week, really. I played the whole year off of that."

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
8 years ago
Here's a Ted Thompson style "unheralded" TE  that McGinn talked about:

Name: Tyler Higbee
College: Western Kentucky Number: 82
Height: 6-6 Weight: 249
Position: TE Pos2:
Class/Draft Year: rSr/2016
40 Low: 4.67 40 Time: 4.77 40 High: 4.88
Projected Round: 3-4

NFL page: 

OVERVIEW

Western Kentucky has had a bit of a run at the tight end position the past few years, with Jack Doyle drafted by the Colts in 2013 and Mitchell Henry getting his shot with multiple teams last summer. Higbee could be the best of the trio. The converted receiver added weight to his frame and when given the chance to show his stuff against Marshall as a junior, made six catches for 99 yards and three scores. He built on that in 2015, teaming up with two-time Conference USA MVP to put up some of the best numbers for any tight end in the country (38-563, eight TD) despite missing five-plus games with a knee injury.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Former wide receiver with a smooth, wide­-open gait when he hits top gear. Has big hands. Had just one drop this season and showed ability to recover the catch when he juggled a throw. Becomes a body catcher who can protect the ball in traffic. Willing to work middle of the field and take hits. Quick and slippery off line of scrimmage and into routes. Very good acceleration out of his breaks and can be a tough cover for safeties. Has the speed and toughness to work all three levels of the field. Can own the Y­-seam with his vertical speed and hands. Immediately opens and looks for expedited throws when he's over the top of inside linebackers. Has frame for more muscle mass. Extremely competitive after the catch with speed, elusiveness and decent power. Can carry body tacklers after the catch.

WEAKNESSES Still has work to do filling out his frame. Slow to adjust to blocking assignment during flow of play. Not powerful enough yet to handle NFL edge power as in­line blocker. Doesn't run feet through block to sustain. Upright into his breaks. Needs route polish for underneath routes. Can get better at creating additional leverage through crisper routes. Suffered through a knee sprain that cost him four games before re-aggravating it in Conference USA Championship Game. Missed his bowl game and expected to miss Senior Bowl because of it.

NFL COMPARISON Jordan Cameron

BOTTOM LINE Knee injury basically took six games away from him this season which could cause him to fly under the radar a little bit. Higbee has exciting athleticism and speed in the open field with the ability to separate from safeties on intermediate routes and threaten the deep middle. Higbee has soft, reliable hands and plus run-­after­-catch ability to finish plays. While he needs to beef up his frame and blocking ability, there is no doubting his pass catching talent.

rotoworld: 

CBS Sports draft analyst Dane Brugler wrote that Western Kentucky TE Tyler Higbee is "[t]he most underrated senior tight end prospect in this class."

"Higbee is an intriguing size/speed specimen for the position with ballskills to threaten the seam," Brugler wrote. This past season, the 6-foot-6, 250-pounder missed five of Western Kentucky's final seven contests with a left knee ailment, finishing out the campaign with 38 catches for 563 yards and three touchdowns. He'll need to check out medically at the NFL Scouting Combine, but if he can do that, Brugler believes he'll be a "riser." NFL Media's Lance Zierlein recently called Higbee's ceiling "exceptionally high if he can continue to fill out his frame." Given the paper-thin state of the 2016 pool of tight ends, it will be interesting to see how the former Hilltopper slots come draft time.

Smokey
  • Smokey
8 years ago
So Nerd, you think the Packers need a TE ? IMO, Richard Rodgers will have better success in 2016 with the return of Jordy Nelson. In addition, provided that Lacy looses weight and regains his former potency, another important piece of the puzzle will fall into place. So with these already Packer advantages, the final offensive weapon to complement Aaron Rodgers needs to be a scary fast deep threat WR.

UserPostedImage