8 years ago
Daron Lee NEEDs to be our pick if he's available. He's exactly what we need at mlb. Dude can run and cover and lay the wood. A little light the be up against centers and gaurds every play, but I think Ryan could be our goon to take on blocks and free him up to play. If we can't get lee, I'm intrigued by Myles jack at out UCLA. I think jack is more nfl ready but Lees upside and coverage abillity make him enticing.
steveishere
8 years ago

Daron Lee NEEDs to be our pick if he's available. He's exactly what we need at mlb. Dude can run and cover and lay the wood. A little light the be up against centers and gaurds every play, but I think Ryan could be our goon to take on blocks and free him up to play. If we can't get lee, I'm intrigued by Myles jack at out UCLA. I think jack is more nfl ready but Lees upside and coverage abillity make him enticing.

Originally Posted by: FLORIDA PACKER88 

Jack would be great but I'll be very surprised if he isn't gone in the top 10
Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
8 years ago

Moving up to #3 would also cost the Packers 3 years worth of 1st rounders

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

I fail to see the logic of your statement. There are many trade combinations that would not require offering 3 First round picks. The best GM's use the all resources available to them when making deals, not just draft picks.

I do not believe that the current Packer GM has the courage to make deals with other teams. IMO, a trade to get a true DEEP THREAT WR would truely make Aaron Rodgers job a whole lot easier and open up other assets of the Packer offense to do better.

[cheers]
UserPostedImage
Yerko
8 years ago
I had a decently long post freeze up on me so I am going to give this a second attempt as the combine/draft is by far one of my favorite times of the NFL offseason. I will split the posts into positions.

I had a list of players I wanted to watch closer than others. I bold the names of those I would like to see taken with the 1st round pick, even if that means trading up.
Linebackers: Leonard Floyd, Reggie Ragland, Scooby Wright, Myles Jack, Darron Lee, Josh Perry, Joe Schobert, Su'a Cravens and Kamalei Correa.

The two players from this group that intrigue me the most are Myles Jack and Darron Lee. I believe that these two players would have the most to add to the Packers defense with their ability to play any linebacker position. Myles Jack is a pipe dream, really. It would take a lot to move up to select him and I honestly wouldn't mind if that happened. Darron Lee would be less expensive to move up for and he may even be available at #27. He has a high ceiling and really popped at the combine which just adds to what he did for the Buckeyes every week.

Reggie Ragland is an interesting player. I was excited thinking about the possibility of him being a Packer after I read his interview about being Pack fan growing up and the amount of time he spent with interviewing with the Packers. However, I get this vibe that while he had success at Alabama, it was due to the ridiculously good defensive line in front of him. He is a pure thumper of a ILB and we already have a thumper in Jake Ryan. I wouldn't mind this selection at #27 but I believe the Packers need a coverage guy like the two mentioned above.

Su'a Cravens, Kamalei Correa and Leonard Floyd are three individuals I would consider in the 2nd (Su'a and Leonard) to middle rounds (Kamalei). Su'a is an explosive and fast player. He is this newer breed that can be a tweener between the OLB and S positions. Again, he fits that mold of a Packers defender that is expected to be able to play in multiple areas of the field.
Kamalei is a raw prospect. I am unsure of how well his game will transfer into the NFL.

Josh Perry, Scooby Wright and Joe Schobert are mid-later round prospects. It was said that Scooby wouldn't test well and he didn't. Honestly, he seems like a bit of a spaz which isn't such a bad thing but it leads to inconsistency which showed up in his testing. All three of these players have a thumper style of play but Josh Perry is the quickest of the 3. He might have a slight advantage in having the ability to cover.
UserPostedImage
Yerko
8 years ago
Defensive Line: A'Shawn Robinson, Sheldon Rankins, Andrew Billings, Jarran Reed, Sheldon Day

Tweeners: Jonathan Bullard and Noah Spence

A'Shawn is a very large, powerful player. He has that initial pop with the ability to sink his hips which he generates a lot of his power from. I have him listed as a 1st rounder option but like many, I am still skeptical because its hard to spot his athleticism. In the Packers scheme, I think it is important to possess that athleticism and this may cause me to rethink the possibility of A'Shawn playing on the defensive front. Uncertain here, wouldn't be upset though.

Sheldon Rankins intrigues me the most out of this group. You will probably see this word a lot in my posts but he possesses the versatility needed to play in the Packers defense. He's played in multiple fronts at every defensive line position. This guy was unblockable at the Senior Bowl which just adds to his combine and game tape. A blessing if he is there at #27.

Andrew Billings has ridiculous power and has a leverage to him that enables him to take on bigger blockers and split double teams. He's a monster in the run defense but also has the ability to have an impact on the pass rush. BJ Raji's successor?

Jarran Reed and Sheldon Day dropped for me. Jarran Reed possesses very little athletic ability and is a pure run stopper. Sheldon Day is small...smaller than Mike Neal. I still paid attention to him but really do not view him as a fit for the Packers defense. I am also skeptical of ND defensive linemen and their transition into the NFL.

Noah Spence is one of the players with the character concerns as he was dismissed from Ohio State, banned from the Big Ten and ended up playing at Eastern Kentucky. Spence could be utilized like Peppers is but can be dropped into coverage more if needed. Standing up or hand in the ground, he has the ability to rush the passer and is strong enough to not be a liability in the run defense.

Jonathan Bullard is an interesting prospect as he molded his game after Julius Peppers. While he has the ability to play in the tweener role like Julius does for the Packers he was very specific that he'd rather line up on the inside in a 4-3 type defense. This is something to take into consideration and maybe be removed from the list. He has the power and the quickness to play the edge in a 3-4 defense though.
UserPostedImage
Bigbyfan
8 years ago

I fail to see the logic of your statement. There are many trade combinations that would not require offering 3 First round picks. The best GM's use the all resources available to them when making deals, not just draft picks.

I do not believe that the current Packer GM has the courage to make deals with other teams. IMO, a trade to get a true DEEP THREAT WR would truely make Aaron Rodgers job a whole lot easier and open up other assets of the Packer offense to do better.

[cheers]

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

I guarantee, unless Rodgers was involved, it would take 3 first round picks to jump from 27 to the top 3.
blank
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
8 years ago
As of right now:

My favorite first rounders right now are: Myles Jack, Laremy Tunsil, DeForest Buckner, Andrew Billings, Ezekiel Elliot.

Players I would try to trade up to a top 5 pick for: none.

Players I would try to trade up for if they fall past #5: Myles Jack, DeForest Buckner, Laremy Tunsil, Jalen Ramsey. I'm assuming the price starts at value = 2 first rounders.

Players I would try to trade up for if they fall past #10: Darron Lee, Ronnie Stanley

Players I would try to trade up for if they fall past #15: Andrew Billings, Jaylon Smith (depending on meds), Joey Bosa

I would also be willing to include any of the following with multiple picks (or all, depending on the trade) to get one of the above: Brian Bulaga (only if the pick goes for one of the LTs; I'd switch Bakhtiari to RT); John Starks; Davante Adams; Morgan Burnett; Micah Hyde.

Players I would be okay with at #27: Ezekiel Elliot, A'Shawn Robinson, Jack Conklin, Robert Nkemdiche, Vernon Hargreaves, Laquon Treadwell, Taylor Decker.

Other than QBs, those are the only players I currently have first round grades on. Since I expect all of the above to be gone by #27, and since I don't expect Ted Thompson to meet the trade terms for any of them, that means I'm once again advocating trading down.

Of course, all is subject to change according to whim. 😎

Other than the players listed, I would prefer trading down.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
8 years ago
Wade, while I find your post interesting, not all (including myself) are as familiar with the emerging draft class. Assuming that the players you mention are just as well known to others is incorrect. In the future stating the position and school of players can only help clarify your post.

I could not determine what need you believe the Packers should pursue. What do you find special about players ? Why do you see a need at a position ?

UserPostedImage
Barfarn
8 years ago
Yerko!

Those posts were a real nice summary with a lot of original thought and observation. Thanks for taking the time [twice] to share!
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
8 years ago

Wade, while I find your post interesting, not all (including myself) are as familiar with the emerging draft class. Assuming that the players you mention are just as well known to others is incorrect. In the future stating the position and school of players can only help clarify your post.

I could not determine what need you believe the Packers should pursue. What do you find special about players ? Why do you see a need at a position ?

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Sorry, Smokey. I've been working on keeping my posts shorter. 🤣

Hope the below detail is what you wanted:

What I want is emphasis on speed, raw power (on OL and DL), nasty "dominate!" attitude.

What I think are the top four needs: ILB, DT, OT, TE. Behind those four: S, OLB/DE.

Players I listed:
Linebacker:
Myles Jack ILB UCLA (can also play outside). Speed, range, whole package. Might last past 5, but only if two QBs get picked high, and maybe not even then.
Darron Lee ILB Ohio State. Even more speed than Jack, but not as fundamentally sound. Someone is going to pick him in the top 12 but that's too high.
Also like at ILB: Su'a Cravens (USC, usually listed as OLB or SS, I'd immediately switch him to ILB, 2nd) Reggie Ragland (Alabama, not until mid-2nd tho), Scooby Wright (Arizona, 3rd), Jatavis Brown (Akron, late 3rd). Brown is a favorite for me. Tweener LB/S. Just 220 pounds. Speed speed and more speed. With McGovern at OT (see below) the player I'd most be willing to reach for in the draft.
Also at OLB: Leonard Floyd (Georgia, 2nd), Jordan Jenkins (), Shilique Calhoun (Mich State, late 3rd).
The crop of ILB is thin. Assuming the problem doesn't get addressed via trade/free agency, he's likely going to have to trade up, reach, probably both. This is why I personally would try to trade way up for Jack. Even going top five he's not a reach. The same is not true of where Lee and the others will go.

DT:
Andrew Billings DT Baylor. Big and scary. Amazing power that is going to get better (he's only 21), quick off the snap. Shut down against run, better pash rush everyday than Raji had in his best 1/2 season in late 2010, and his top end...Henry Jordan but with an extra 80-100 pounds. Probably top 15 pick, but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the top 10.
Other DT I like:
Top half of first: DeForest Buckner, Oregon. Can play either DT or DE; I'd play him at DE in front of Matthews at OLB. They'd have 25 sacks between them.
In first: A'Shawn Robinson, Alabama (though I'd like him better at DE).
Early second: Robert Nkemdiche. Ole Miss. (the "fall out a window stoned" guy).
Second: Vernon Butler, La Tech (late second). Motor city. Attitude.
Late second/early third: Austin Johnson, Penn State. Just solid.
Third: Sheldon Rankins, Louisville. Another solid, maybe a little too much finesse.
Late third/early fourth: Justin Zimmer. Ferris State (in Michigan; I hadda look this up). 6'3 DT. Not invited to Combine, but at Regional Combine blew away the agility drills and had a vertical of 33". Two years ago he did 46 (!!) reps in the bench. Reminds me of Dontari Poe who I really wanted a while back.

OT:
Laremy Tunsil, Ole Miss. Top three pick unless evidence comes out that he was hanging out smoking pot and pushed friend Nkemdiche out the window. Fundamentally sound across the board. Quick. Powerful. Better on day one than anyone the Packers have had at OT since Ken Ruettgers or Earl Dotson at their best.
Ronnie Stanley, Notre Dame. Top half of first, though he'll go top 10. Real good, though could use more power. Good enough to shift Bahktiari to RT or backup guard week one.
Jack Conklin (Mich State). Fundamentally sound. Early 2nd, will go bottom half of first.
Taylor Decker (Ohio State). Not quite as sound fundamentally ("pad level"), and weaker in pass pro than others. Late second (will go earlier).
Le'Raven Clark (Texas Tech). Liked this guy a lot before the combine, but he ran only 5.16 in 40 and just 18 reps in the bench. Plus he's coming out of Texas Tech and I'm not sure how much that style offense reveals about an OL. Might be Chad Clifton/Mark Tauscher quality, might be Bahktiari, might be Daryl Colledge/Jason Spitz. Late third.
Conner McGovern, Missouri. Late 3rd. I really like this guy. Many list him as a guard, but I think he could be a starter at anything but LT, and he'd be a quality backup there. Strong as a horse (33 reps), though I'd prefer a bit quicker (5.11 in 40; 7.50 in the cones). Most would consider it a reach, but I'd be happy as a clam if Ted picked him at #27 in the 3rd. Call him: The player I'd be most likely to reach for in this draft.

TE:
Another thin class, and so a position where a free agency move would be nice.
I would give no one a first round grade.
Hunter Henry (Arkansas) to me is a mid-second, tho majority have him in mid- to late-first somewhere. Great blocker. Very good receiver. A bit better than the guy Detroit drafted last year or the year before (Ebron?) Only did 13 reps in the bench at the combine.
Austin Hooper (Stanford). Actually my favorite at the position. Needs more development than Henry, but more upside. Ran slower than I expected at combine. Stronger than Henry. Early third round, likely will go mid-second.
Jerell Adams (South Carolina). Early fourth, though probably will go in third which I'd be okay with. Upside more limited. Solid player. As good as Rodgers, though not sure is better now. More upside than I saw from Rodgers when drafted (or since).
Thomas Duarte (WR/TE hybrid). Best odds for a Finley type TE, but more boom/bust. (I've seen grades from 2nd to 7th on the guy.) Speed/downfield/seam stuff should develop into a high end tight end, but could fizzle. Probably a 4th.

Does that help, Smokey?

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)