PackerTraxx
8 years ago
There's a time to stand and a time to sit. If people don't know the difference they should stay home.

Or at least sit down when someone asks.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
DoddPower
8 years ago
The standing or sitting issue aside, going to NFL games is overrated, imo. I've been to multiple Packers games both at Lambeau field and at other stadiums and several other NFL games. It's fun to do occasionally, but for the most part, it's not worth the effort, and especially not the worth the price (ticket, travel, car, hotel, beer, food, etc.). Watch the game at home on a huge 70 inch TV with a DVR has just become so convenient not to mention much cheaper.

Also, I couldn't imagine attending a live NFL game with the radio broadcast in my ear.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
8 years ago
I've never been to a regular season game at Lambeau, though I went to several pre-season games back in the Lombardi/Bengtston/Devine years and then once or twice when Starr was coach.

Had great time at all...but the most funnest parts were the tailgating and wandering the parking lots when I was an adult.

Worst experiences and best at pro football games were all at Viking games in Minnesota, though.

Worst moment (by far): Late 60s/early 70s. At the Met. Vikings won. Announcement came over PA that Gale Sayers had blown out his knee at San Francisco. Crowd cheered.

Second worst, and single worst game beginning to end: 70s. Same Met. Vikings won. Upper deck, late November, bitterly cold and windy. Wore two layers of long underwear, snowmobile suit and parka both. Frozen. Frozen. Yuck.

Best: Can't remember the year, but post Lombardi and Starr still starting quarterback but having shoulder etc issues. (1968 or 1969 I think.) Packers lost. (I never saw the Packers win in Minnesota.) Played at old Memorial Stadium at U of M for some reason I now forgot. Best game because this is the one where after the game when I was with my dad looking for autographs and walking alongside Bart as he was accompanying a young man in a wheelchair somewhere behind the stands. Came to a set of stairs (way before ADA). Bart took one side of the chair, my dad took the other and carried the guy down the stairs. Two great men, doing good not because of the cameras or because they were trying to impress someone, but because they were the kind of man that just did those things as a matter of course.

That after-game experience is an example of why I consider Bart Starr to have been the greatest man to ever wear a pro football uniform.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
nerdmann
8 years ago

I've never been to a regular season game at Lambeau, though I went to several pre-season games back in the Lombardi/Bengtston/Devine years and then once or twice when Starr was coach.

Had great time at all...but the most funnest parts were the tailgating and wandering the parking lots when I was an adult.

Worst experiences and best at pro football games were all at Viking games in Minnesota, though.

Worst moment (by far): Late 60s/early 70s. At the Met. Vikings won. Announcement came over PA that Gale Sayers had blown out his knee at San Francisco. Crowd cheered.

Second worst, and single worst game beginning to end: 70s. Same Met. Vikings won. Upper deck, late November, bitterly cold and windy. Wore two layers of long underwear, snowmobile suit and parka both. Frozen. Frozen. Yuck.

Best: Can't remember the year, but post Lombardi and Starr still starting quarterback but having shoulder etc issues. (1968 or 1969 I think.) Packers lost. (I never saw the Packers win in Minnesota.) Played at old Memorial Stadium at U of M for some reason I now forgot. Best game because this is the one where after the game when I was with my dad looking for autographs and walking alongside Bart as he was accompanying a young man in a wheelchair somewhere behind the stands. Came to a set of stairs (way before ADA). Bart took one side of the chair, my dad took the other and carried the guy down the stairs. Two great men, doing good not because of the cameras or because they were trying to impress someone, but because they were the kind of man that just did those things as a matter of course.

That after-game experience is an example of why I consider Bart Starr to have been the greatest man to ever wear a pro football uniform.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Bart's genuinely like that in person.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackerTraxx
8 years ago
Great story and typical for Bart Starr. He is a great person.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago

The standing or sitting issue aside, going to NFL games is overrated, imo. I've been to multiple Packers games both at Lambeau field and at other stadiums and several other NFL games. It's fun to do occasionally, but for the most part, it's not worth the effort, and especially not the worth the price (ticket, travel, car, hotel, beer, food, etc.). Watch the game at home on a huge 70 inch TV with a DVR has just become so convenient not to mention much cheaper.

Also, I couldn't imagine attending a live NFL game with the radio broadcast in my ear.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I've been sort of lucky. I've been to about 5 games at Lambeau and have not paid for a ticket. Three of them were when I was younger and tickets were provided by my parents or grand parents. last two games I attended, one was Christmas Eve 1995 vs Pittsburgh. Big snow flakes falling, and Yancy dropping the game winning ball in the endzone, tickets provided by my sister-in-law, all I had to do was provide transportation. And the last game I went to was Dec 20, 1998. Reggie's last home game as a Packer. Those tickets were given by my boss.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Cheesey
8 years ago
Here's my 2 cents.
If what you are doing is taking away from the people around, or behind you, you are probably doing something wrong.
The others also paid for their ticket to enjoy the game. If they can't see it because of inconsiderate selfish jerks, the jerks should be removed.
It's the same thing when you go to a theatre to watch a movie, and the idiot next to/behind you talks through the whole thing.
If you want to pay me for my ticket, fine, then talk. Otherwise, SHUT UP!
I took my wife to a Usher and Janet Jackson concert MANY years ago. Two women behind us just would not shut up. I and my wife finally told them to shut up, or go out in the hallway if you want to have a conversation.(We DID try doing it nicely at first, which of course didn't work) They thought WE were out of line for DARING to confront them!
They did shut up, but I over heard the word "honkey" stated, along with some other words.
UserPostedImage
sschind
8 years ago

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I would have to agree. The 4 games I have been fortunate enough to attend at Lambeau have all been special for me in one way or another and it wasn't related to watching the game itself except for most recently when Favres started his last game at Lambeau when he played for the vikings and especially the final drive. I wouldn't trade those times for anything, but, like you said, I tend to think going to the games is over rated. The tailgating is first class and the overall experience is usually great (unless its 15 below zero which it was at my first game) but for actually watching the game I'd much rather be at home.

dhazer
8 years ago

Ive been to several games at Lambeau throughout the years.

My last was 5 years ago. I witnessed a guy get ejected from the game, for.....standing. I'm not kidding. One of Green Bay's finest ejected 2 guys because they refused to sit. If you attend an NFL game, and you whine to the ushers that the guy in front of you is standing, please kill yourself.Seriously. Do every one a favor.

I've been to several NFL stadiums. Every single one of them has the "Hey douchebag in front, sit down I can't see", guy. Not sure when this all started, but it ended for me 5 years ago. Last game I attended and will never attend another NFL game. Ever.

Originally Posted by: IronMan 

Was that the Bikini Girls game lol? I didn't mind them standing at all, after all they were keeping me warm 😊
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago
When I was a kid we used to sneak into games at halftime, they'd open the gates. I think Infante ended that.

Back then we'd sometimes buy end zone tickets for like $17. No idea what they are now, but buying a ticket for you and two kids has become a significant investment for many. The "experience" isn't worth it for what they want to charge for good tickets.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (8h) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (8h) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (9h) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (9h) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (10h) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.