greengold
7 years ago

Barfarn's stuff on Peppers was among the most egregious piece of crap in there. He's never been a great character guy noted for laziness throughout his career. Not a role model at all...the opposite. He makes almost 5 mil more than Sitton and we were far more likely to get more out of Josh than Julius for 5 million less.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Where do you get this stuff? Peppers' salary is $7M. Sitton's was around $6.5M I believe. When I went to school those numbers were about equal.

Yes Peppers' cap number is higher (still not 5 million higher) at $10.5M. But $3.5M of that has already been paid. Cutting Peppers would only save $7M.

Barfarn
  • Barfarn
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
7 years ago
If Sitton was let go because he is stunting the growth of the OL and also harming the team; then his release is addition by subtraction. In other words WE WILL BE BETTER THIS YEAR, though maybe not as good at LG right now. But at playoff time, given Sitton's back, I bet we're better with Tretter at LG.

Tretter is a better OLman than Sitton right now. After 16 games of experience for Tretter and wear and tear on Sitton, Tretter will also be a better LG and they'll be more harmony in the OL room. And the $6m and growth of other OLmen will make us better next.

Ted's decisions are rational, pure business, supported by McCarthy and his staff, not that of a "reactionary child." To say other wise is wild ass speculation. Speculation is a scholarly and rational extension, extrapolation or interpolation of established facts. Wild ass speculation is what your doing: speculation on speculation on fantasy of hysterical imaginary dogma.

If you knew all the facts here is what you would know: Sitton's gone, the odds of winning the SB just went up for this year and the two afterward.
uffda udfa
7 years ago

Where do you get this stuff? Peppers' salary is $7M. Sitton's was around $6.5M I believe. When I went to school those numbers were about equal.

Yes Peppers' cap number is higher (still not 5 million higher) at $10.5M. But $3.5M of that has already been paid. Cutting Peppers would only save $7M.

Originally Posted by: greengold 

Glad you agree on the character portion. Sitton saved us a tick under 6 million on cap. I'm sorry I was errant. It was brilliant giving Peppers a contract that would leave so much dead money that we couldn't cut him ala Hawk and Starks.

Barfarn. Are you in the concussion protocol? What they are doing is HOPING this won't work out too badly. That is my speculation based on the reality that Lane isn't an NFL player nor is Barclay who shouldn't have been brought to camp. Ted loved guys like Worthy...Hawk, all the scrubs at ILB and TE and S. He certainly doesn't know this will work. I'm betting he just hopes this doesn't go south too bad.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Zero2Cool
7 years ago
I think it's just an ignorant stretch to bring up Julius Peppers who is not having back issues who is on a pitch count (can't do that with OL too easily) and who still contributes quite a bit vs an offensive linemen who declined in production and has a constant back issues. Back issues so bad that the player lost 20 lbs in hopes of limiting the pain.

It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever here. The Packers made it clear they want to go younger at the position when they said "this was done with a focus on what is best for the team and the growth of the offensive line".

The Packers also have an early BYE so maybe they are thinking they can trade for a Guard in the next few weeks or pick one up and use the BYE to work them in?

UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
7 years ago
The issue is you buy the lie. I don't. If Sitton had said nothing about his contract he'd still be a Packer and you'd be going on how PFF said he was one of the best guards in the game. Now, that you swallowed the lie he's not worth keeping and we just wanted to go younger. Every salesman in the world is begging for a chance to sell to people like you.

As to Peppers. U admit he's a part time player who is old. He's well overpaid to boot. We didn't want to go younger at OLB so we cut Gilbert who has more upside at OLB than Lane Taylor ever will. Btw...Lane will be 27 in season.

We should cut Aaron. Go younger. Rodgers is older than Sitton. Maybe, that's why they kept Callahan to be Hundleys back up.

One thing I know....if that did happen you would go from loving Aaron today to saying the org knows what it's doing and bad talk Rodgers. It's automatic.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

beast
7 years ago

a contract that would leave so much dead money that we couldn't cut him

IMO there is no such thing. Dead money is simply money that the player has already earned, but the team has not yet official accounted for. In other words, dead money is dead, ie in the past... and by it's self, should have no direct bearing on the future.

Simply, the cap number is the accounting number... not the payroll number. But most (including those in the talk media) seem to attempt to use the cap numbers are the payroll numbers and they're different things.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
7 years ago

The issue is you buy the lie. I don't. If Sitton had said nothing about his contract he'd still be a Packer and you'd be going on how PFF said he was one of the best guards in the game. Now, that you swallowed the lie he's not worth keeping and we just wanted to go younger. Every salesman in the world is begging for a chance to sell to people like you.

As to Peppers. U admit he's a part time player who is old. He's well overpaid to boot. We didn't want to go younger at OLB so we cut Gilbert who has more upside at OLB than Lane Taylor ever will. Btw...Lane will be 27 in season.

We should cut Aaron. Go younger. Rodgers is older than Sitton. Maybe, that's why they kept Callahan to be Hundleys back up.

One thing I know....if that did happen you would go from loving Aaron today to saying the org knows what it's doing and bad talk Rodgers. It's automatic.

When you've had your ass handed to you, that doesn't mean you start making things up and putting words into someones mouth. Admit you had your ass handed to you and you were wrong and move on.

I don't know what lie there is to buy because I don't know all of the details, like you apparently do. It sounds like you're speculating like the rest of us, and even blasting those of us who speculate something different than what you speculate. Seems kind of stupid if you ask me.

I don't agree with Josh Sitton being released. Often times players play their best season on a contract year. I would rather him have played a top 5 Guard level and left and the Packers get a compensatory pick for him.

I really do not believe Lane Taylor is the answer at Guard. I fear we will see some shuffling of the OL, which I believe is a mistake.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
7 years ago
I get it beast...we aren't going to cut these high dead money guys. It is why Hawk stayed too long.

Peppers cap number is still 10.5 mil. Sitton was 6.something...we only had to dead money 400k on him. It's 2.5 million for Peppers. That's 6x more dead money for Peppers which does make a difference. Could've and should've cut Julius after last year. Would've saved 8 million. Stupid to pay a fossil like him 8 million to be part time guy who isn't that effective anymore.
UserPostedImage

uffda udfa
7 years ago
Z... ass handed to me? U mean org flattering speculation means more than the actual facts in this matter? If you think I've had it handed to me that's really no surprise to me. This time the lie isn't one you bought it's one u convinced yourself of.

It keeps being said no one knows what happened but you have determined I'm wrong knowing full well were a worse football team today. It's gold hearing you say these things because you choose to buy lies and hide behind them as it was the truth we're worse without him

I will continue to stand on what we know vs. the speculation that flatters the org to deflect from the bad move made.
UserPostedImage

musccy
7 years ago

Peppers cap number is still 10.5 mil. Sitton was 6.something...we only had to dead money 400k on him. It's 2.5 million for Peppers. That's 6x more dead money for Peppers which does make a difference. Could've and should've cut Julius after last year. Would've saved 8 million. Stupid to pay a fossil like him 8 million to be part time guy who isn't that effective anymore.

I agree with you to the extent that if it was a cap savings move, I'd rather it be Peppers than Sitton. I also agree with you that this doesn't seem to make the team better from a football standpoint.

With that said I agree with Barfarn that this has to be about something else than cap reasons. This is just way too out of character even for tightwad Ted, the lack of comp picks among the most notable reasons why. He has some Josh Gordon-esque story, back much worse than reported, plowing McCarthy's daughter or something else we don't know about.