Zero2Cool
7 years ago
I've been really busy with a lot of personal things and well being a dad mainly. So, I've been a bit out of touch of Packers things last few weeks. I was shocked as heck to find out Martellus Bennett signed with us. I was looking that up and then read Lance Kendricks also signed! I thought I was in some alternate reality.

The issue with Packers is defense, we can all probably agree on that. And no, these signings do not help the defense directly, but maybe it helps increase 3rd down conversion which keeps the defense off the field?

Anyhow, I'm curious. How do you feel about the Packers free agency so far?

Myself? I'm pleased with it because Ted Thompson said Offense you develop and Defense you can plug in guys here and there. I wonder too just how badly Q. Rollins and D. Randall were injured. I think Burnett was dinged up too.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
7 years ago
Really pleased with the offensive side of the ball, still concerned about the defense. We need to get an inside pass rusher to help daniels on the inside. If we can collapse the front of the pocket we make it so much easier on the OLBs as well as the secondary.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
musccy
7 years ago
This could be our best TE combo since Mr. Hot Tub and Keith Jackson so I'm certainly intrigued by this and the options we may have on offense.

DoddPower
7 years ago
Need some defensive help! The offense will continue to be good enough, but that won't matter if the defense is as bad as it's been for years now.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
7 years ago
Yes the D needs some help. I kind of wish they could have landed on of the stud CBs but everyone knew that wasn't going to happen.

As for the TE combo- Ted gets an "A" for effort. Even if they are both busts I don't mind. Ted went out early in the FA signing period and reeled in a couple players. The draft is typically thin at TE and I don't think this year is an exception. On the flip side I thought I read the draft is pretty deep for CBs. As long as Ted doesn't draft a baseball player or curler who played CB on his Jr High football team in the first or second round I will be happy.
UserPostedImage
luigis
7 years ago
The plan is to win all games 66-48

I kind of agree with Teddy, in the last seasons whenever the offense starts hot we almost always win, the defense might allow points but it is usually hard for a team to rally from behind. Our defense plays better if we are ahead in the score.

So in some contrived way helping the offense improves the defense while helping the defense doesn't change the offense.

Having said that I think Teddy needs to have a hell of a draft to fix the defense.

Luis
nerdmann
7 years ago

The plan is to win all games 66-48

I kind of agree with Teddy, in the last seasons whenever the offense starts hot we almost always win, the defense might allow points but it is usually hard for a team to rally from behind. Our defense plays better if we are ahead in the score.

So in some contrived way helping the offense improves the defense while helping the defense doesn't change the offense.

Having said that I think Teddy needs to have a hell of a draft to fix the defense.

Originally Posted by: luigis 

THis draft is LOADED with OLBs, CBs and RBs, and I hope we take them in that order.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
hardrocker950
7 years ago

Yes the D needs some help. I kind of wish they could have landed on of the stud CBs but everyone knew that wasn't going to happen.

As for the TE combo- Ted gets an "A" for effort. Even if they are both busts I don't mind. Ted went out early in the FA signing period and reeled in a couple players. The draft is typically thin at TE and I don't think this year is an exception. On the flip side I thought I read the draft is pretty deep for CBs. As long as Ted doesn't draft a baseball player or curler who played CB on his Jr High football team in the first or second round I will be happy.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Yes, this draft is loaded with potential at CB. I would feel better about going into the draft with at least one proven corner, but I didn't expect that to happen (as usual.)

I was happy to hear that Bennett signed with the Pack - he has been consistent, good hands, and has size that we need. Aaron will be throwing his way a lot.

I am disappointed that Ted hasn't done anything for the defense, but most of us expected that. I would be happy if he signed even one defensive game changer. I have to give him some credit for getting help at TE knowing that Cook was on his way out the door - normally he would just get a 6th round guy and call it good. It will be interesting to see if he does some dealing to get a couple of defensive guys.
sschind
7 years ago

This could be our best TE combo since Mr. Hot Tub and Keith Jackson so I'm certainly intrigued by this and the options we may have on offense.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Best combo since for sure but I think they can be even better. Chmura was good but I think Packer fans over state how good he was and I think Jackson was on the decline by the time he got here. They were a very good combination but I think they were better in the fans eyes than they were in reality.

The thing is it's a good TE combo only if the team utilizes 2 TEs at the same time. Its not a good combo if the only time the #2 sees the field is when the #1 needs a breather. Then you just have two good TEs. Thankfully Mike McCarthy likes his TEs. I'm honestly not sure how much he uses 2 TE sets but it is probably more than most coaches so that bodes well for a good combo.

I like the moves and Bennett/Kendricks is a big improvement over Cook/Rodgers IMO.

Like Zero said if it helps get them a few more third down conversions over the course of a game it will benefit the defense indirectly.
gbguy20
7 years ago
Davon house, ladarouss Webb and Morris Claiborne are still out there. We've got plenty of room to sign lacy and 2 of the above. Throw in barwin too. Then I will be happy.
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (1h) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.