wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
6 years ago

Another Pro Football Hall of Fame class was announced on Saturday night Canton, so it's time for my annual early August rant. I wrote last year about LeRoy Butler not getting the respect he deserves from the voters. Well, thanks to former Bronco Terrell Davis' induction, this year's post will be about Sterling Sharpe. TheContinue Reading›› 

Continue Reading @ Michael Rodney 

Michael Rodney wrote:

While I would love for Sterling to be in the Hall, 7 years isn't long enough to be included among the all time greats. I can't help it if someone else gets in after only 7 seasons. That doesn't make it right.
UserPostedImage
isocleas2
6 years ago
On one hand I agree, 7 seasons is just too short of a sample size. On the other hand he was dominate with shit QBs, the couple years there was actually an offense to take some of the weight off his shoulders he was arguably the most dominate WR in the league.

Sharpe + Nick Collins both played HoF careers, they just lack a few more years of playing in the league to fatten up the resume.
sschind
6 years ago

While I would love for Sterling to be in the Hall, 7 years isn't long enough to be included among the all time greats. I can't help it if someone else gets in after only 7 seasons. That doesn't make it right.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I gotta agree with you WPR. He was dominant and if it were not for the injury I think he would be in already and we would be listing him as one of the top 5 WRs of all time. A great career unfortunately cut way to short and maybe a few years too short of the HOF.

One thing I hate as a fan is when teams need 6 yards for the first and they throw it 4-5 yards down the field. Sterling Sharpe was the only WR I recall watching where I actually didn't mind it so much. It was still frustrating but it seemed like he made the extra yard or two as often as not.

While I agree that 7 years is not long enough it is the new benchmark and because of that Megatron should be a shoe in. Voters can't say his career was too short now.
Zero2Cool
6 years ago
I still don't know how Gale Sayers got into the Hall of Fame. He played in less than 70 games and his statistics weren't anything special for his era. Terrell Davis at least topped 2,000 yards and won league MVP and pair of Super Bowls. Sterling Sharpe argument I would make is them two and Sharpe averaging over 100 receptions and 14 TD's his last three seasons in the NFL.

If you're going to let Sayers and Davis in, I don't see how you keep Sharpe out.

Which makes me wonder ... what constitutes a Hall of Fame career?
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
6 years ago

I still don't know how Gale Sayers got into the Hall of Fame. He played in less than 70 games and his statistics weren't anything special for his era. Terrell Davis at least topped 2,000 yards and won league MVP and pair of Super Bowls. Sterling Sharpe argument I would make is them two and Sharpe averaging over 100 receptions and 14 TD's his last three seasons in the NFL.

If you're going to let Sayers and Davis in, I don't see how you keep Sharpe out.

Which makes me wonder ... what constitutes a Hall of Fame career?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I think all 3 belong in the Hall of the Pretty Damn Good. Of the 3 Sayers is the closest to making an argument for dominance in his time. He was All Pro 5 times in his 7 years. (Sharpe and Davis only 3 each.) I ignore Pro Bowl as it is a more flawed voting system.

Then again the NFL Hall seems to have a lower admittance requirement than the MLB.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

I think all 3 belong in the Hall of the Pretty Damn Good. Of the 3 Sayers is the closest to making an argument for dominance in his time. He was All Pro 5 times in his 7 years. (Sharpe and Davis only 3 each.) I ignore Pro Bowl as it is a more flawed voting system.

Then again the NFL Hall seems to have a lower admittance requirement than the MLB.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Sayers had a lot less competition during his time than both Sharpe and Davis. That explains the slim margin of more All Pro's. Ahman Green was more of a dominate force than Sayers.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
6 years ago
Good point about Sayers, Zero.
Another thing that might play into this was the fact that Sharpe was a real jerk to the media.
So that MIGHT have some bearing.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
No, he probably would have if he had been able to continue playing, but unfortunately he wasn't. If I look at the WR who played the same time as Sterling, which IMO would be his competition for the HOF I can't put his career above any of them and IMO there are only so many spots. Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Cris Carter, Andre Reed, Art Monk, Michael Irving. The idea that he had shit QB's is beyond absurd also and that he was so much more dominate than all the other WR I listed is also false.

Losing Sterling might have been the best thing for the Packers. It forced Favre to look for others to depend on in the receiving game.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Smokey
6 years ago
I have heard it said , that unless a player is already considered a HOF "Lock" , then his HOF consideration can heavily depend upon the nominating presentation and who speaks on their behalf . An influential respected presenter that makes an impressive case , can (and has) put a person as they say , "over the hump" in the final vote .

Sharp was a brilliant WR and while not a "Lock" , if he had a high powered presenter to make his case for him , perhaps then he just may have a better chance at the HOF . [thumbup]

UserPostedImage
Poppa San
6 years ago

I have heard it said , that unless a player is already considered a HOF "Lock" , then his HOF consideration can heavily depend upon the nominating presentation and who speaks on their behalf . An influential respected presenter that makes an impressive case , can (and has) put a person as they say , "over the hump" in the final vote .

Sharp was a brilliant WR and while not a "Lock" , if he had a high powered presenter to make his case for him , perhaps then he just may have a better chance at the HOF . [thumbup]

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Yeah, that worked out pretty good for Jerry Kramer.  

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I awoke this morning with a headache. I still went to work. She went back to sleep.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (6h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (6h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (9h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (9h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (9h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (10h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (10h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (21h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (22h) : damn those vikings
beast (22h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (22h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (22h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (22h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (22h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.