uffda udfa
6 years ago
As we ready for the season to kickoff tonight in New England, where their QB has 5 rings, there is rampant optimism that our historic franchise with Aaron Rodgers can get our 2nd come February in Minneapolis.

Once again Aaron Rodgers is the main reason there is hope for a 2nd Lombardi. Just like the days of Brett Favre, we always have a chance with a special QB. This year this team seems to have realized a little that it needs to do more as counting on 12 has proved futile in crunch time. He can't be all world every game and when the competition ramps up he's faltered in big moments creating a ton of slack that never gets picked up by the defense.

When it comes to the Packers defense, the proverbial millstone around this franchise's neck, it's the same and it's different. Another draft has come and gone, and what do you know? Just like every year there is a player at the position we just happen to be desperate for is just sitting there like it's been ordained by the football gods. Enter...Kevin King to fill a huge void among what was likely one of the worst CB groups to ever see a gridiron last season. Oh, the org didn't just stop there. It turned to an old familiar draft and develop and then give up CB in Davon House. Of course, Davon is no Casey Hayward, that's why he was available after being released by the Jacksonville Jaguars. The round of excuses for why House was let go painting him as something just short of a shutdown corner has grown louder in proportion with those who question him as our #1. Devo as he likes to be called, was given the #1 CB job by default. He certainly didn't earn it in camp or in pre-season games, but when you're as devoid of talent at the position you do curious things. As of this writing it wouldn't surprise anyone to see any one of our other CB's line up on the other side of House as there truly is no right answer there. Further, there isn't anyone who could say with a straight face they've seen anything from Kevin King to give hope he might somehow become an answer. The eternal optimists are banking that Randall and or Rollins are the next Davante Adams. However, for every Davante there's 5 who are not Davante. Nothing this off-season suggests that Damarious or Quinten are headed in Davante's direction going into season 3. There's little reason to discuss the other options. It was hard enough to get through discussing some of our "better" ones.

Therein lies the rub for 2017. Yes, it is fantastic to see this offense looking primed to potentially be the NFL's best. Yes, it's exciting to see the org actually go outside of itself realizing it has failed to stock the cupboards with draft and develop. Yes, we have some toughness on the defense that has evaded us like a bobble through Brandon Bostick's hands. All these are reasons the arrow is finally pointing more upward than it has in years. The philosophical change is refreshing and may be a sign of imminent regime change as our current GM seems to be struggling mightily with his health. Whether it's a true evolution in thinking from our front office or Eliot and Brian taking the baton, it's nice to finally feel like we're being aggressive because as Martellus Bennett opined football really isn't about the b*itches and being passive. His presence alone helps even the defense shed it's soft as Charmin label.

Here's where the train derails and the kool aid runs dry. Tell me a team that has won the SB with a CB tandem like the Packers will trot out this season? Davon House against any team's #1 WR is a total mismatch and it would be a mismatch vs. most every team's 2nd WR, as well. How does a team that can't stop the pass win when it matters in the NFL? When this team last hoisted our trophy, it was loaded in the defensive backfield. Yes, there are those who subscribe to the mantra that pressure up front can hide a multitude of weakness on the back end. Yes. That is true, however, what in the world would lead even the most optimistic fan to believe we're going to generate the kind of pressure that can protect House and whomever back there? That is pollyanna pie in the sky thinking to rely on the idea that we'll have enough of a rush to cover those deficiencies. Really ponder how this team is going to stop an upper echelon QB when it matters? Can you honestly say you believe they can? Oh, sure among the fan base anything is possible. What is most plausible? What is most realistic? It's a long 17 weeks until the tournament starts but how does the specter of what we have at CB not loom like a fart in an elevator ruining any fantasies currently dancing?

Short of finding ourselves in a situation where we face a 3rd string QB who has never played a down in an NFL game, I think January will be the 7th installment of the defense leaving us in the deep freeze after the warmth of optimism burned so bright throughout the summer.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

steveishere
6 years ago
I didn't see anything wrong with Randall or Rollins offseason to think they shouldn't improve. They both are moving a lot better and both played with injuries last year that needed surgery so I don't see why we should assume they'll be the same as last year. Randall still has some technique/discipline stuff that bugs me but unless they get hurt again I doubt they both are anywhere near as bad. Who knows with King he was swimming this preseason, when he gets to where he's not thinking about what to do before the snap we'll see what he's really got. With House it's a matter of if he can return to how he played 2 years ago when he was a starter. If he puts in a season like that for us we'll be fine.
uffda udfa
6 years ago

I didn't see anything wrong with Randall or Rollins offseason to think they shouldn't improve. They both are moving a lot better and both played with injuries last year that needed surgery so I don't see why we should assume they'll be the same as last year. Randall still has some technique/discipline stuff that bugs me but unless they get hurt again I doubt they both are anywhere near as bad. Who knows with King he was swimming this preseason, when he gets to where he's not thinking about what to do before the snap we'll see what he's really got. With House it's a matter of if he can return to how he played 2 years ago when he was a starter. If he puts in a season like that for us we'll be fine.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I understand the what if's and hopes, Steve. What is most likely to happen? Davon House is going to be better under Joe Whitt, the same guy he wasn't very good under when he left? Jax gambled that he was a rising CB. They lost. Cut bait. Moved on. Now, we pick up the scraps and have the gall to say we're going to be okay with him as out NUMBER ONE CB? Did he earn it? If he didn't,which he didn't, then why is he our #1? The answer is crystal clear!!! There is nobody better than him and it's obvious. If we don't have anyone who can challenge Davon freaking House for the #1 corner spot, who is going to stop the Julio Joneses of the world? It ain't going to be House, and it ain't going to be a guy who is not as good as him. Logically speaking there is no debate here. Of course, when we get into the realm of magic and unexpected things that DO sometimes happen, but not very often, it gets silly. It's like banking on winning the lottery to secure your financial future. Sure! It COULD happen, but it ain't very likely. Of course the odds aren't that stacked against our CB's but it ain't all that much different. A bunch of miracles are going to have to take place in a Dom Capers D and under the hand of Joe Whitt. I do not like those odds and I question the person who does.

Pessimistic? No way. We just have a bunch of JAGs at CB and I believe that will kill this team when it matters, but I am hoping for that 3rd string QB who never played a down lotto ticket just like the rest of us.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

steveishere
6 years ago
It's not just what if's and hopes I'm going by what I know and see. It's not completely honest to act like Davon HOuse himself was the only variable in his getting released from Jacksonville. He got signed and had a good season as a starter for the dfense he was signed to play - that statement is absolutely true. He lost his starting spot after they changed defenses and brought in guys they thought fit the defense better. you don't know any more than I do what he did to earn a starting spot since neither of us saw him play this offseason. The only people that saw him were coaches every day he was available in training camp, doesn't mean they are right but we don't have that information.

I'm not just hoping that Randall and Rollins were injured last season - they were and both needed surgery. I'm not hoping they look like they are moving better, they do look like they are moving better. That doesn't mean I think House or randall are going to have an island named after them and shut down Julio Jones 1on1 but it does lead me to believe the secondary should be better this year. How much better is the question and of that I have no idea because we didn't really get to see if Randall and Rollins were developing much in their second season.
Smokey
6 years ago
RESULTS

Not excuses , or blame , or "logical explanations" . Last season the CB's ranked at the bottom of the barrel . Put the same players back out as Starters and Offensive Coordinators/QB's will be licking their chops like hungry wolves.

House may fill half the void, and King is just not up to a starting level just yet. Randall / Rollins / and Gunter are still last seasons stink . Yes Ted Thompson has picked through other teams disguarded garbage more this year , but when was the last time he had the guts to trade valued players for a Pro-Bowl / Blue Chip CB or WR or LB or DE or RB .

Yes , GB can continue to Win games and the Division "again" , but history proves that to get to the SB, a team must field a SB quality "DEFENSE". [nohair] [whead]

UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
The problem with so many peoples thinking. A player doesn't get resigned means they were no good. In some cases that may be, but not in all. I guess we don't need to line up a run defense because lacy is in Seattle and since we didn't resign him he must be junk.

We played much of the season starting our 4th and 5th CB as 1st and 2nd. and with two second year players who were hurt. coming back healthy alone would have improved the CB position, but we also added a veteran and a high draft pick rookie. If you don't think that is an improvement, you don't know shit.

UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

We played much of the season starting our 4th and 5th CB as 1st and 2nd. and with two second year players who were hurt. coming back healthy alone would have improved the CB position, but we also added a veteran and a high draft pick rookie. If you don't think that is an improvement, you don't know shit.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

If Ted Thompson was a good General Manager, he would have traded draft picks to land someone like AJ Bouye for a rental and that would have propelled the Packers into the Super Bowl.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
6 years ago

The problem with so many peoples thinking. A player doesn't get resigned means they were no good. In some cases that may be, but not in all. I guess we don't need to line up a run defense because lacy is in Seattle and since we didn't resign him he must be junk.

UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

...and if that high pick plays like Ahmad Carroll and there is no counted on improvement??? You're left with House as your hope? You can't put into the win category things that look like they belong in the loss category just because it makes you feel better about things. There is nothing to put in the win column so to speak right now regarding the CB position. NOTHING. This is a FACT...not a negative. A TRUTH.

The truth is neither positive nor negative. You're calling me the snowflake, here?

UserPostedImage

PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
Only thing worse than starting the 4th and 5th string CB like last year would be UFFDA as our GM.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
isocleas2
6 years ago

...and if that high pick plays like Ahmad Carroll and there is no counted on improvement??? You're left with House as your hope? You can't put into the win category things that look like they belong in the loss category just because it makes you feel better about things. There is nothing to put in the win column so to speak right now regarding the CB position. NOTHING. This is a FACT...not a negative. A TRUTH.

The truth is neither positive nor negative. You're calling me the snowflake, here?

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

King hasn't even played his first game and you're bringing out the Ahmad Carroll card? That's some crazy hyperbole even for you uffda 😝

House graded out well enough his last year playing in Green Bay that he got paid 6 mil a year to start, and by all accounts the Jags were fine with what they bought up until they switched defenses. He's better than what you are advertising.

One if not both of Randall + Rollins will step up this year, some players need a few years to grow into the position especially when dealing with injuries. However if you've already labeled King the next Carroll I can see how you wouldn't have any patience left for these two. You're wrong, but atleast you're consistent. 😁
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (21h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (21h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.