uffda udfa
6 years ago
As we ready for the season to kickoff tonight in New England, where their QB has 5 rings, there is rampant optimism that our historic franchise with Aaron Rodgers can get our 2nd come February in Minneapolis.

Once again Aaron Rodgers is the main reason there is hope for a 2nd Lombardi. Just like the days of Brett Favre, we always have a chance with a special QB. This year this team seems to have realized a little that it needs to do more as counting on 12 has proved futile in crunch time. He can't be all world every game and when the competition ramps up he's faltered in big moments creating a ton of slack that never gets picked up by the defense.

When it comes to the Packers defense, the proverbial millstone around this franchise's neck, it's the same and it's different. Another draft has come and gone, and what do you know? Just like every year there is a player at the position we just happen to be desperate for is just sitting there like it's been ordained by the football gods. Enter...Kevin King to fill a huge void among what was likely one of the worst CB groups to ever see a gridiron last season. Oh, the org didn't just stop there. It turned to an old familiar draft and develop and then give up CB in Davon House. Of course, Davon is no Casey Hayward, that's why he was available after being released by the Jacksonville Jaguars. The round of excuses for why House was let go painting him as something just short of a shutdown corner has grown louder in proportion with those who question him as our #1. Devo as he likes to be called, was given the #1 CB job by default. He certainly didn't earn it in camp or in pre-season games, but when you're as devoid of talent at the position you do curious things. As of this writing it wouldn't surprise anyone to see any one of our other CB's line up on the other side of House as there truly is no right answer there. Further, there isn't anyone who could say with a straight face they've seen anything from Kevin King to give hope he might somehow become an answer. The eternal optimists are banking that Randall and or Rollins are the next Davante Adams. However, for every Davante there's 5 who are not Davante. Nothing this off-season suggests that Damarious or Quinten are headed in Davante's direction going into season 3. There's little reason to discuss the other options. It was hard enough to get through discussing some of our "better" ones.

Therein lies the rub for 2017. Yes, it is fantastic to see this offense looking primed to potentially be the NFL's best. Yes, it's exciting to see the org actually go outside of itself realizing it has failed to stock the cupboards with draft and develop. Yes, we have some toughness on the defense that has evaded us like a bobble through Brandon Bostick's hands. All these are reasons the arrow is finally pointing more upward than it has in years. The philosophical change is refreshing and may be a sign of imminent regime change as our current GM seems to be struggling mightily with his health. Whether it's a true evolution in thinking from our front office or Eliot and Brian taking the baton, it's nice to finally feel like we're being aggressive because as Martellus Bennett opined football really isn't about the b*itches and being passive. His presence alone helps even the defense shed it's soft as Charmin label.

Here's where the train derails and the kool aid runs dry. Tell me a team that has won the SB with a CB tandem like the Packers will trot out this season? Davon House against any team's #1 WR is a total mismatch and it would be a mismatch vs. most every team's 2nd WR, as well. How does a team that can't stop the pass win when it matters in the NFL? When this team last hoisted our trophy, it was loaded in the defensive backfield. Yes, there are those who subscribe to the mantra that pressure up front can hide a multitude of weakness on the back end. Yes. That is true, however, what in the world would lead even the most optimistic fan to believe we're going to generate the kind of pressure that can protect House and whomever back there? That is pollyanna pie in the sky thinking to rely on the idea that we'll have enough of a rush to cover those deficiencies. Really ponder how this team is going to stop an upper echelon QB when it matters? Can you honestly say you believe they can? Oh, sure among the fan base anything is possible. What is most plausible? What is most realistic? It's a long 17 weeks until the tournament starts but how does the specter of what we have at CB not loom like a fart in an elevator ruining any fantasies currently dancing?

Short of finding ourselves in a situation where we face a 3rd string QB who has never played a down in an NFL game, I think January will be the 7th installment of the defense leaving us in the deep freeze after the warmth of optimism burned so bright throughout the summer.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

steveishere
6 years ago
I didn't see anything wrong with Randall or Rollins offseason to think they shouldn't improve. They both are moving a lot better and both played with injuries last year that needed surgery so I don't see why we should assume they'll be the same as last year. Randall still has some technique/discipline stuff that bugs me but unless they get hurt again I doubt they both are anywhere near as bad. Who knows with King he was swimming this preseason, when he gets to where he's not thinking about what to do before the snap we'll see what he's really got. With House it's a matter of if he can return to how he played 2 years ago when he was a starter. If he puts in a season like that for us we'll be fine.
uffda udfa
6 years ago

I didn't see anything wrong with Randall or Rollins offseason to think they shouldn't improve. They both are moving a lot better and both played with injuries last year that needed surgery so I don't see why we should assume they'll be the same as last year. Randall still has some technique/discipline stuff that bugs me but unless they get hurt again I doubt they both are anywhere near as bad. Who knows with King he was swimming this preseason, when he gets to where he's not thinking about what to do before the snap we'll see what he's really got. With House it's a matter of if he can return to how he played 2 years ago when he was a starter. If he puts in a season like that for us we'll be fine.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I understand the what if's and hopes, Steve. What is most likely to happen? Davon House is going to be better under Joe Whitt, the same guy he wasn't very good under when he left? Jax gambled that he was a rising CB. They lost. Cut bait. Moved on. Now, we pick up the scraps and have the gall to say we're going to be okay with him as out NUMBER ONE CB? Did he earn it? If he didn't,which he didn't, then why is he our #1? The answer is crystal clear!!! There is nobody better than him and it's obvious. If we don't have anyone who can challenge Davon freaking House for the #1 corner spot, who is going to stop the Julio Joneses of the world? It ain't going to be House, and it ain't going to be a guy who is not as good as him. Logically speaking there is no debate here. Of course, when we get into the realm of magic and unexpected things that DO sometimes happen, but not very often, it gets silly. It's like banking on winning the lottery to secure your financial future. Sure! It COULD happen, but it ain't very likely. Of course the odds aren't that stacked against our CB's but it ain't all that much different. A bunch of miracles are going to have to take place in a Dom Capers D and under the hand of Joe Whitt. I do not like those odds and I question the person who does.

Pessimistic? No way. We just have a bunch of JAGs at CB and I believe that will kill this team when it matters, but I am hoping for that 3rd string QB who never played a down lotto ticket just like the rest of us.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

steveishere
6 years ago
It's not just what if's and hopes I'm going by what I know and see. It's not completely honest to act like Davon HOuse himself was the only variable in his getting released from Jacksonville. He got signed and had a good season as a starter for the dfense he was signed to play - that statement is absolutely true. He lost his starting spot after they changed defenses and brought in guys they thought fit the defense better. you don't know any more than I do what he did to earn a starting spot since neither of us saw him play this offseason. The only people that saw him were coaches every day he was available in training camp, doesn't mean they are right but we don't have that information.

I'm not just hoping that Randall and Rollins were injured last season - they were and both needed surgery. I'm not hoping they look like they are moving better, they do look like they are moving better. That doesn't mean I think House or randall are going to have an island named after them and shut down Julio Jones 1on1 but it does lead me to believe the secondary should be better this year. How much better is the question and of that I have no idea because we didn't really get to see if Randall and Rollins were developing much in their second season.
Smokey
6 years ago
RESULTS

Not excuses , or blame , or "logical explanations" . Last season the CB's ranked at the bottom of the barrel . Put the same players back out as Starters and Offensive Coordinators/QB's will be licking their chops like hungry wolves.

House may fill half the void, and King is just not up to a starting level just yet. Randall / Rollins / and Gunter are still last seasons stink . Yes Ted Thompson has picked through other teams disguarded garbage more this year , but when was the last time he had the guts to trade valued players for a Pro-Bowl / Blue Chip CB or WR or LB or DE or RB .

Yes , GB can continue to Win games and the Division "again" , but history proves that to get to the SB, a team must field a SB quality "DEFENSE". [nohair] [whead]

UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
The problem with so many peoples thinking. A player doesn't get resigned means they were no good. In some cases that may be, but not in all. I guess we don't need to line up a run defense because lacy is in Seattle and since we didn't resign him he must be junk.

We played much of the season starting our 4th and 5th CB as 1st and 2nd. and with two second year players who were hurt. coming back healthy alone would have improved the CB position, but we also added a veteran and a high draft pick rookie. If you don't think that is an improvement, you don't know shit.

UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

We played much of the season starting our 4th and 5th CB as 1st and 2nd. and with two second year players who were hurt. coming back healthy alone would have improved the CB position, but we also added a veteran and a high draft pick rookie. If you don't think that is an improvement, you don't know shit.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

If Ted Thompson was a good General Manager, he would have traded draft picks to land someone like AJ Bouye for a rental and that would have propelled the Packers into the Super Bowl.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
6 years ago

The problem with so many peoples thinking. A player doesn't get resigned means they were no good. In some cases that may be, but not in all. I guess we don't need to line up a run defense because lacy is in Seattle and since we didn't resign him he must be junk.

UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

...and if that high pick plays like Ahmad Carroll and there is no counted on improvement??? You're left with House as your hope? You can't put into the win category things that look like they belong in the loss category just because it makes you feel better about things. There is nothing to put in the win column so to speak right now regarding the CB position. NOTHING. This is a FACT...not a negative. A TRUTH.

The truth is neither positive nor negative. You're calling me the snowflake, here?

UserPostedImage

PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
Only thing worse than starting the 4th and 5th string CB like last year would be UFFDA as our GM.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
isocleas2
6 years ago

...and if that high pick plays like Ahmad Carroll and there is no counted on improvement??? You're left with House as your hope? You can't put into the win category things that look like they belong in the loss category just because it makes you feel better about things. There is nothing to put in the win column so to speak right now regarding the CB position. NOTHING. This is a FACT...not a negative. A TRUTH.

The truth is neither positive nor negative. You're calling me the snowflake, here?

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

King hasn't even played his first game and you're bringing out the Ahmad Carroll card? That's some crazy hyperbole even for you uffda 😝

House graded out well enough his last year playing in Green Bay that he got paid 6 mil a year to start, and by all accounts the Jags were fine with what they bought up until they switched defenses. He's better than what you are advertising.

One if not both of Randall + Rollins will step up this year, some players need a few years to grow into the position especially when dealing with injuries. However if you've already labeled King the next Carroll I can see how you wouldn't have any patience left for these two. You're wrong, but atleast you're consistent. 😁
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (10h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (16h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (18h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (18h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (20h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (20h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (20h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (21h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (21h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.