Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
6 years ago
The 2018 NFL Draft is over and GB has 11 new rookie players. The new GM has made trades, and in the end all of the Packers needs have been addressed It still remains to be seen how well the new players work out or if all will make the final 53 man roster.

IMO, I grade the GB Packers 2018 NFL Draft --- B+

Time will tell if that grade needs to be elevated or demoted.

[cheers]

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
6 years ago

The 2018 NFL Draft is over and GB has 11 new rookie players. The new GM has made trades, and in the end all of the Packers needs have been addressed It still remains to be seen how well the new players work out or if all will make the final 53 man roster.

IMO, I grade the GB Packers 2018 NFL Draft --- B+

Time will tell if that grade needs to be elevated or demoted.

[cheers]

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Did not address pass rush, except late with these UDFAs. Hopefully Biegel is The Man!
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DoddPower
6 years ago
There was no way the Packers were going to address every weakness in one draft. If they drafted all the positions of need in early rounds, it's unlikely all would make the team and certainly not all would actually address the weaknesses in year one. It's just not going to happen with one draft.

With that said, I'd still like to see Dez signed on a one year deal, and maybe add a little more pass rushing depth. I wouldn't mind Brooks being resigned, but hopefully someone better. 2019 is a strong draft, so the Packers just need to buy some time with a couple stop-gaps.
TheKanataThrilla
6 years ago
I am actually surprised we made that many picks. Granted one was for a punter and a long snapper which is not normal. I just wonder if we can stash all the guys who will not make the team on the PS? There is going to be lots of competition at training camp. I am afraid that some of these guys will be cut and signed by other teams which seems like a waste.
Smokey
  • Smokey
6 years ago

There was no way the Packers were going to address every weakness in one draft. If they drafted all the positions of need in early rounds, it's unlikely all would make the team and certainly not all would actually address the weaknesses in year one. It's just not going to happen with one draft.

With that said, I'd still like to see Dez signed on a one year deal, and maybe add a little more pass rushing depth. I wouldn't mind Brooks being resigned, but hopefully someone better. 2019 is a strong draft, so the Packers just need to buy some time with a couple stop-gaps.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

It would be a good lessen for you to examine the difference between want and need. I want a 1500 yard RB every season, but what is there will fill the need. I want a FG Kicker that never misses a kick and has a 75 yd range, but Crosby fills the need very nicely.

GB needed CBs, WRs, an ILB, an OT, an Edge Rusher, a Long Snapper, a DE and BG filled those needs. As a bonus the Packers also filled a want as they selected a Punter. They must all prove their worth, but the GM has done his part so far.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

It would be a good lessen for you to examine the difference between want and need. I want a 1500 yard RB every season, but what is there will fill the need. I want a FG Kicker that never misses a kick and has a 75 yd range, but Crosby fills the need very nicely.

GB needed CBs, WRs, an ILB, an OT, an Edge Rusher, a Long Snapper, a DE and BG filled those needs. As a bonus the Packers also filled a want as they selected a Punter. They must all prove their worth, but the GM has done his part so far.

I want a Super Bowl victory every season.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
6 years ago

I like this draft class a lot. But the pass rush has NOT been sufficiently addressed. Sorry. At least one position wasn't going to be sufficiently addressed via the draft, so I look forward to a little more solid depth.
Smokey
  • Smokey
6 years ago

I like this draft class a lot. But the pass rush has NOT been sufficiently addressed. Sorry. At least one position wasn't going to be sufficiently addressed via the draft, so I look forward to a little more solid depth.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

An inside pass rush can be as effective as a good Edge rushing attack. GB signed Wilkerson to start along side of Clark and Daniels. In addition, this trio may not rack up record numbers, but they will open holes for blitzing LBs and/or Safeties.

As for depth, the Packers drafted a DE as well as a designated Edge Rusher. They also drafted a good LB who played ILB at Vanderbilt U. You can also add players like Biegel and others that will carry over from 2017's roster.

Next time do your research before you post !

(Damn that felt good !) [biggrin]

UserPostedImage
isocleas2
6 years ago
I liked the draft alot, I wish they would have gotten a TE and/or EDGE rusher but you only have so many picks. The trade with New Orleans was great and i like the 3 WR, i bet only 1-2 make the roster but there could be a diamond in there somewhere.
isocleas2
6 years ago

I am actually surprised we made that many picks. Granted one was for a punter and a long snapper which is not normal. I just wonder if we can stash all the guys who will not make the team on the PS? There is going to be lots of competition at training camp. I am afraid that some of these guys will be cut and signed by other teams which seems like a waste.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

I think 6th and 7th round picks are cut by a good # of teams across the league. If you look at them through the trade calculator all the 7th round picks in the whole draft and not worth even one 3rd rounder. Best not to get too attached to them.

For example i think outside of Cole Madison none of the guys drafted in the 5th round or later are odds on favorites to make the roster, without injuries during training camp or one of them really standing out they likely are all practice squad or stash on IR types.

JK Scott (punter) 50/50 he beats out Vogel for the job
Marquez Valdes-Scantling (WR) Project 25-50% chance he makes the roster
Equanimeous St. Brown (WR) Same, project 25-50% chance to make roster
James Looney (DL) We didn't add many DL/EDGE so probably close to 50/50 to make roster.
Hunter Bradley (LS) Maybe the only late draft pick I feel pretty confident makes the roster (65%?)
Kendall Donnerson (EDGE) Freak athlete but major project, unless he makes all the ST groups 10% chance

I like these guys but you got to be realistic about their chances.
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (8h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (14h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (16h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (16h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (18h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (18h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (18h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (19h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (19h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.