Zero2Cool
5 years ago

Freedom of speech also let's us sit around and discuss how wrong "Those People" are.

For those who don't know it, "Those People" was the term General Robert E. Lee used when speaking of the Union army.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Quoting solely because of the mention of Lee, not a direct reply to the quote.

Robert E. Lee was not in favor of slavery.

Interesting quote from Robert E. Lee.

In this enlightened age, there are few I believe, but what will acknowledge, that slavery as an institution, is a moral & political evil in any Country. It is useless to expatiate on its disadvantages. I think it however a greater evil to the white man than to the black race, & while my feelings are strongly enlisted in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more strong for the former. The blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa, morally, socially & physically. The painful discipline they are undergoing, is necessary for their instruction as a race, & I hope will prepare & lead them to better things. How long their subjugation may be necessary is known & ordered by a wise Merciful Providence.

Robert E. Lee wrote:

If Virginia had not seceded, he would have most surely been the General (or Commander) of the Union and the Civil War (just my opinion) would have been over far sooner.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
5 years ago

Robert E. Lee was not in favor of slavery.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

That's... An interesting way of interpreting that quote. That's like saying "Hey I really wish that I didn't have to beat my wife because hey that's wrong, but she's better off with me than she would be alone and gosh darn it, she just needs the discipline to keep her in line. How long I'll need to keep beating her for is up to God to decide".
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

That's... An interesting way of interpreting that quote.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

Probably because it wasn't an interpretation of the quote at all. I don't believe what I said was something new, most people familiar with Civil War and history of that time frame are aware of it.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
5 years ago
You are right Zero! You can protest at work, but you may have to pay the consequences, like your boss telling you to pick up your last check and clear out your desk.
Which is what I have been saying about the NFL players. You can protest, but you may end up having to get a REAL job.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago

Probably because it wasn't an interpretation of the quote at all. I don't believe what I said was something new, most people familiar with Civil War and history of that time frame are aware of it.

It is true Lee wasn't "in favor" of slavery. Yet he was a dichotomy. He didn't free his family's slaves. He prefered to stay with Virgina instead of the Union. He led open rebellion. Even if he didn't believe in slavery, he didn't feel the Black man was his equal either.

Duty and honor of the nineteenth century Southern plantation owner were chains that tied them too.

I was recently reading how Mr Lincoln was very much surprised when there wasn't a counter revolt in the South. He truly expected the majority of people to shout down the few who advocated secession. Instead roughly 80-90% of the people supported secession in one way or another instead of the 10-20% he thought it would be. He misunderstood how strong their traditions and society were.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

It is true Lee wasn't "in favor" of slavery. Yet he was a dichotomy. He didn't free his family's slaves. He prefered to stay with Virgina instead of the Union. He led open rebellion. Even if he didn't believe in slavery, he didn't feel the Black man was his equal either.

Duty and honor of the nineteenth century Southern plantation owner were chains that tied them too.

I was recently reading how Mr Lincoln was very much surprised when there wasn't a counter revolt in the South. He truly expected the majority of people to shout down the few who advocated secession. Instead roughly 80-90% of the people supported secession in one way or another instead of the 10-20% he thought it would be. He misunderstood how strong their traditions and society were.

If Virginia had not seceded, he would have lead the Union army. It wasn't a preference. He chose to leave the Army to defend Virginia and was (by his standards) the honorable thing to do. Virginia does not secede, he leads Army to a (my opinion) decisive victory for the Union and casualties would be dramatically less.

The Civil War began not to end Slavery, but because the slave states didn't to because the free and slave states arguing over the power of the national government to prohibit slavery in the territories that had not yet become states.

That leads me to wonder what if Virginia had not seceded; Lee (I'm going to assume) leads Union to a decisive victory, do we still abolish slavery without the Emancipation Proclamation?
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago
Without the Civil War slavery would have remained in the South until the 20th century. It wouldn't have been expanded into the territories but it would have existed in the deep South.

With mechanization it would have been less viable. More Blacks would have been given their freedom. Landowners would have realized it's cheaper to give them a subsistence wage (and then charge for rent and supplies) than it was to feed and clothe them. Plus keep men around in case of an escape.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

Without the Civil War slavery would have remained in the South until the 20th century. It wouldn't have been expanded into the territories but it would have existed in the deep South.

With mechanization it would have been less viable. More Blacks would have been given their freedom. Landowners would have realized it's cheaper to give them a subsistence wage (and then charge for rent and supplies) than it was to feed and clothe them. Plus keep men around in case of an escape.

Yes, I do believe the Civil War, regardless of Emancipation Proclamation, was the beginning of the end of slavery. However, back to my inquiry/wonder -- I don't believe it can be safely assumed because since cause of the Civil War was not to end slavery, it was about the power of the national government over territories not yet slave states. If the war ended prior to the Emancipation Proclamation, just when would slavery have ended? 10 years? 20? 50?

I just believe that if Lee lead the military for Union (assuming Virginia did not secede) that Lee would have crushed Confederacy swiftly and we don't get to the Emancipation Proclamation, which was instituted because the North needed more soldiers and to change the narrative of the war from political to moral.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago

Yes, I do believe the Civil War, regardless of Emancipation Proclamation, was the beginning of the end of slavery. However, back to my inquiry/wonder -- I don't believe it can be safely assumed because since cause of the Civil War was not to end slavery, it was about the power of the national government over territories not yet slave states. If the war ended prior to the Emancipation Proclamation, just when would slavery have ended? 10 years? 20? 50?

I just believe that if Lee lead the military for Union (assuming Virginia did not secede) that Lee would have crushed Confederacy swiftly and we don't get to the Emancipation Proclamation, which was instituted because the North needed more soldiers and to change the narrative of the war from political to moral.

I guess I wasn't clear. It wouldn't have ended until the 20th century. It may well have more or less died out in the upper south where there was more small scale farming operations and less plantation scale operations. (More corn less cotton.) But even in those states they probably wouldn't have passed a law abolishing it until they had to.
UserPostedImage
4PackGirl
5 years ago
I saw some talk of the Pledge of Allegiance & I just wanted to let you know that it is said daily here in grade school & high school as well. As far as the National Anthem goes, I will be happy to NOT hear another butcher job of the song by some high paid, low class supposed singer. I always LOVE when the Armed Forces bands play/sing it.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (8h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (8h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (8h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (8h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (8h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (11h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (15h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (15h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.