Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
Based on that very small sample size, Ted Thompson averaged a turnover of 12.7 players a year, with a standard deviation of 3.2. That means the rate of turnover in Gutekunst's first year is 2.0 standard deviations above the Thompson mean. So it's definitely high by Ted standards, but it nowhere comes close to being a statistical outlier.

A far more interesting question would be "What is the rate of turnover in Gutekunst's first offseason compared to Thompson's first year at the helm?" It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the numbers proved quite comparable.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
5 years ago

Based on that very small sample size, Ted Thompson averaged a turnover of 12.7 players a year, with a standard deviation of 3.2. That means the rate of turnover in Gutekunst's first year is 2.0 standard deviations above the Thompson mean. So it's definitely high by Ted standards, but it nowhere comes close to being a statistical outlier.

A far more interesting question would be "What is the rate of turnover in Gutekunst's first offseason compared to Thompson's first year at the helm?" It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the numbers proved quite comparable.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Yeah this is a very good point. I think it's generally safe to assume that when a new GM is brought in (with any team), it's because the roster is in need of work, in which case greater than normal turnover is not only common but expected.

More telling will be in say, 3-4 years, when the roster is filled with Gutekunst's guys. A comparison to Thompson's rosters at the same time in his tenure with the team will be telling.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
I just ran the numbers, and if my abacus serves me well, it would appear that Ted Thompson axed not 10, not 12, not 14, not 19, but 25 (yes, twenty-five) players in the 2005 offseason! That's a full 47 percent of the roster!

Brian Gutekunst has been a veritable paragon of conservatism by comparison.

Incidentally, here's the complete list of players who were on the 2004 roster but failed to make the 2005 roster:

Bhawoh Jue
Brad Bedell
Bryan Barker
Cletidus Hunt
Craig Nall
Curtis Fuller
Darren Sharper
Doug Pederson
Hannibal Navies
J.T. O'Sullivan
James Jackson
James Lee
James Whitley
Kelvin Kight
Larry Smith
Marco Rivera
Michael Hawthorne
Mike McKenzie
Mike Wahle
Nick Luchey
Nick Rogers
R-Kal Truluck
Sean McHugh
Steve Josue
Torrance Marshall

Looking at that list, I have to think Ted Thompson wasn't the most popular man in town that year. He cut some pretty well-known and beloved Packers players (as well as some absolute nobodies . . . R-Kal Truluck??).

He also seems to have had a thing against guys named James, Michael, and Nick and guys who had the same first and last initials.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago

We may also see a new HC in year two.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
But wait, there's more! Good old Teddy was just getting started.

The streets of Green Bay fairly ran with blood in the 2006 offseason, as Thompson parted ways with thirty-six players . . . fully 68 percent of the roster! Here are the players he dumped:

Adrian Klemm
Andrae Thurman
Antonio Chatman
Ben Steele
Chad Lucas
Chris White
Earl Little
Grady Jackson
Grey Ruegamer
Jamal Jones
Jason Horton
Javon Walker
Jeremy Thornburg
Jerron Wishom
Joey Thomas
Kevin Barry
Mark Roman
Marviel Underwood
Michael Hawkins
Mike Flanagan
Na'il Diggs
Najeh Davenport
Paris Lenon
ReShard Lee
Robert Thomas
Rod Gardner
Roy Manning
Ryan Flinn
Ryan Longwell
Taco Wallace
Terrence Murphy
Therrian Fontenot
Todd Franz
Tony Fisher
Walter Williams
Will Whitticker

Think about that for a second: between 2005 and 2006, player turnover in Green Bay totaled 61 souls -- which is to say, a whopping 115 percent of the 53-man roster. By the time the 2006 regular season rolled around, the Packers roster was hardly recognizable anymore.

To say Ted Thompson put his stamp on this team is a wild understatement.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

I just ran the numbers, and if my abacus serves me well, it would appear that Ted Thompson axed not 10, not 12, not 14, not 19, but 25 (yes, twenty-five) players in the 2005 offseason! That's a full 47 percent of the roster!

Brian Gutekunst has been a veritable paragon of conservatism by comparison.

Incidentally, here's the complete list of players who were on the 2004 roster but failed to make the 2005 roster:

Bhawoh Jue
Brad Bedell
Bryan Barker
Cletidus Hunt
Craig Nall
Curtis Fuller
Darren Sharper
Doug Pederson
Hannibal Navies
J.T. O'Sullivan
James Jackson
James Lee
James Whitley
Kelvin Kight
Larry Smith
Marco Rivera
Michael Hawthorne
Mike McKenzie
Mike Wahle
Nick Luchey
Nick Rogers
R-Kal Truluck
Sean McHugh
Steve Josue
Torrance Marshall

Looking at that list, I have to think Ted Thompson wasn't the most popular man in town that year. He cut some pretty well-known and beloved Packers players (as well as some absolute nobodies . . . R-Kal Truluck??).

He also seems to have had a thing against guys named James, Michael, and Nick and guys who had the same first and last initials.

What I was trying to say before was I didn't think McKenzie and Sullivan were on the Packers at the same time and that McKenzie was traded in 2004, which is before Ted Thompson came on board. (phone typing 1, me 0)

Oct 4, 2004
Mike McKenzie got his wish Monday when he was traded to the New Orleans Saints for a second-round pick in 2005 and a backup quarterback.

"It's time to move on," Green Bay Packers coach/general manager Mike
Sherman said.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
5 years ago

But wait, there's more! Good old Teddy was just getting started.

The streets of Green Bay fairly ran with blood in the 2006 offseason, as Thompson parted ways with thirty-six players . . . fully 68 percent of the roster! Here are the players he dumped:

Adrian Klemm
Andrae Thurman
Antonio Chatman
Ben Steele
Chad Lucas
Chris White
Earl Little
Grady Jackson
Grey Ruegamer
Jamal Jones
Jason Horton
Javon Walker
Jeremy Thornburg
Jerron Wishom
Joey Thomas
Kevin Barry
Mark Roman
Marviel Underwood
Michael Hawkins
Mike Flanagan
Na'il Diggs
Najeh Davenport
Paris Lenon
ReShard Lee
Robert Thomas
Rod Gardner
Roy Manning
Ryan Flinn
Ryan Longwell
Taco Wallace
Terrence Murphy
Therrian Fontenot
Todd Franz
Tony Fisher
Walter Williams
Will Whitticker

Think about that for a second: between 2005 and 2006, player turnover in Green Bay totaled 61 souls -- which is to say, a whopping 115 percent of the 53-man roster. By the time the 2006 regular season rolled around, the Packers roster was hardly recognizable anymore.

To say Ted Thompson put his stamp on this team is a wild understatement.

Have no idea what you guys are talking about ... :)

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/45595/packers-gm-here-to-win-and-win-now-even-without-khalil-mack 

I liked this article on the subject ... I guess we will see what kind of player Mack becomes.
gbguy20
5 years ago
So how many players on the roster in 2005 were still there in 2007?
nerdmann
5 years ago
Goot has the advantage of inheriting a team that has been GM'd by one of the best, Ted Thompson. Hence the team being deeper with talent, and unlike the Sherman years, far far away from salary cap hell.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

So how many players on the roster in 2005 were still there in 2007?

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Maybe semantics, but are you wanting to know who was on opening day roster in 2005 vs opening day roster 2007?

Only asking because I saw one of these comparisons that said the end of season roster vs X roster was totally different, yet they omitted the injured reserve players as if they were no longer on the team as part of a roster turnover.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (6h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (9h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (10h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.