gbguy20
5 years ago

Maybe semantics, but are you wanting to know who was on opening day roster in 2005 vs opening day roster 2007?

Only asking because I saw one of these comparisons that said the end of season roster vs X roster was totally different, yet they omitted the injured reserve players as if they were no longer on the team as part of a roster turnover.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Correct on both
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago

Maybe semantics, but are you wanting to know who was on opening day roster in 2005 vs opening day roster 2007?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I'm going off the rosters as listed on Pro Football Reference, which I'm assuming are the opening-day rosters. Obviously, we can't give the general manager credit for intraseason turnover caused by injuries and so on.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

I'm going off the rosters as listed on Pro Football Reference, which I'm assuming are the opening-day rosters. Obviously, we can't give the general manager credit for intraseason turnover caused by injuries and so on.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

I don't think so because McKenzie and Sullivan were part of the same trade, so they couldn't be on the Packers roster at the same time.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
I dropped a line to the editors of PFR to inquire about the specifics of the roster listings on their website. Once I know more about their methodology, I'll let you know.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
With the caveat that I don't fully understand PFR's methodology, here is the list of the 21 players from the 2005 roster who were still listed on the roster in 2007. Of these, 10 were acquired by Thompson sometime in 2005, while 11 were on the 2004 roster. All but four were still on the roster in 2008.

Aaron Kampman*
Aaron Rodgers
Al Harris*
Atari Bigby
Brady Poppinga
Brett Favre*^
Bubba Franks*^
Chad Clifton*
Colin Cole*
Corey Williams*^
Cullen Jenkins
Donald Driver*
Donald Lee
Junius Coston
Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila
Mark Tauscher*
Mike Montgomery
Nick Barnett*
Nick Collins
Rob Davis*^
Scott Wells*

*On the 2004 roster.
^Not on the 2008 roster.

Incidentally, does anyone know if Torey Humphrey was on injured reserve in 2007? He's listed on the rosters for 2005, 2006, and 2008 but not 2007. Similarly, Craig Nall is listed on the roster in 2004 and 2007, but not the years in between. Did he spend those seasons on the practice squad?
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
5 years ago
Not surprised by many of those names. 13 of the 21 were starters during that time, so it seems red must have swapped out every single depth guy we had. Also how do I not remember the name Mike Montgomery if he lasted on that list?
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
A glance at his stat line  will probably tell you why your memory of him is a little fuzzy. šŸ˜
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago

Incidentally, does anyone know if Torey Humphrey was on injured reserve in 2007? He's listed on the rosters for 2005, 2006, and 2008 but not 2007. Similarly, Craig Nall is listed on the roster in 2004 and 2007, but not the years in between. Did he spend those seasons on the practice squad?

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Humphrey suffered a broken arm during training camp on August 7, 2009 after being hit by safety Aaron Rouse. Humphrey underwent successful surgery following the injury, but was ruled out by head coach Mike McCarthy for the rest of the 2009 season

wiki 

In 2006, Craig Nall signed as an unrestricted free agent with the Buffalo Bills, where he competed for the starting quarterback position until a hamstring injury suffered on the second day of practice ended his involvement in the competition. In 2007, he fell on the team's depth chart behind J. P. Losman and Trent Edwards. At the end of pre-season, he was cut from the team's final roster. Early into the regular season he was re-signed by the Bills but was released shortly thereafter.

First stint with Texans
On October 29, 2007, Nall was signed by the Houston Texans as insurance when starter Matt Schaub was hurt against San Diego. He was released by the Texans on November 21, 2007.

Second stint with Packers
He signed a one-year deal with the Packers on December 1, 2007, after they released Marviel Underwood. He became a free agent in the 2008 offseason.

also wiki 
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago

For past seasons, team rosters reflect anyone who appeared in at least one game for the team at any point in the season. For current season pages, we'll show anyone on the roster at that given time plus players who've appeared in a game for the team earlier in the season.

S-R Bugs wrote:

I feel like such an idiot now. I did wonder if that is possibly what they were doing, but I never took the time to count the rosters to make sure they only listed 53 players. If every player who appeared on the roster at any point during the season is listed, then of course turnover is going to look really high. šŸ˜Š

I wish I knew of a source for NFL opening-day rosters by year.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (9h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: ā€œGot in a fight with the bench press. I lost.ā€
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
3h / Random Babble / Novalee

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright Ā© 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.comā„¢. All Rights Reserved.